C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

P-B-27.55/50F for glycol in transmission...do not replace tranny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 coupe 2003, 2014 GLK350, 2020 GLC63
P-B-27.55/50F for glycol in transmission...do not replace tranny?

Hello,

I drive a 2003 C class, which has a defective Valeo radiator that the 2002 C32's have had.

Please refer to my post in the C-class (W203) section
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/191913-transmission-issues-please-help.html

Basically, coolant leaked into my transmission and the glycol test results showed over 400 ppm. I have read on thesse forums that this level of glycol warrants a tranny replacement per P-B-27.55/50A

The dealer replaced my radiator with an updated Valeo, replaced the torque converter, and flushed the transmission per

P-B-27.55/50F, so it seems there is an updated DTB that no longer calls for an outright replacement of the tranny.

Can anyone please post the details of P-B-27.55/50F ?

Also, even after the repairs done by the dealer, will I have future transmissions issues related to this glycol exposure?

Thanks!

Last edited by REX0000; 04-29-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-29-2007, 08:43 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
I am in the same boat. My car is going in for service tomorrow for radiator change but no transmission and or torque converter change. Service tells me this was one of the most contaminated fluids they have seen but they were reluctant to tell me the number for contamination level (or did not know the level as they sent a color sample to MB Canada). MB came back with their recommendation to change rad only. A bit odd.

I have a mail exchange with the service manager expressing my concern, which is exactly as yours. The service manager wrote back telling me they will do the rad now and will monitor for any unusual behavior (?). I still have 2+ years of warranty, so that sounded sort of reasonable.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Insist on the tranny swap. Call MB. I had contamination to the point where my tranny was shaking like crazy on the way to the dealer. They replaced the radiator/tq converter/tranny. This was about 1.5 months ago.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jgsx
Insist on the tranny swap. Call MB. I had contamination to the point where my tranny was shaking like crazy on the way to the dealer. They replaced the radiator/tq converter/tranny. This was about 1.5 months ago.
If the tranny is "shaking like crazy" you would of course have a basis to have it replaced. But if the problem was caught in time, I would just monitor it carefully. There's an inevitable risk in replacing any part in a car - particularly a complex part like a transmission. The risk of ancillary problems is significant.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
If the tranny is "shaking like crazy" you would of course have a basis to have it replaced. But if the problem was caught in time, I would just monitor it carefully. There's an inevitable risk in replacing any part in a car - particularly a complex part like a transmission. The risk of ancillary problems is significant.
Yes that's true, but that just shows what the glycol can do to the tranny. I never bothered to check if I had the Valeo since I have an 04 and thought it was already resolved by that model year.

I never noticed any tranny problems. Then one day it started to do the jerk. I called service, had an appointment two days later. Within two days (about 100 miles), the small jerk became severe.

I agree that there is a risk with replacing the tranny, but I think that the benefit far outweighs it. It's an $8000+ job once you're out of warranty.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Not sure if MB has this, but I had a very positive experience with Chrysler. My Eagle trany had a minor hick-up which I suspected will get worse. Car was under warranty at that time. The service manager heard me and handed me a special transmission form which I filled with detailed symptom description. Later on, after the warranty was gone, the issue got worse. Since I had this problem reported and captured earlier, the trany was rebuild by Chrysler at no cost, no hustle at all.

I still have 2+ years of warranty on the C32, but I will try to find out if MB has some similar policy and use it 100%. I am sure trany does not get damaged instantaneously as glycol gets in, but I guess it is not easy to say exactly when it starts either.