C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Supercharger on/off LED ?

Old 04-30-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG - in Pewter
Supercharger on/off LED ?

Has anyone thought of trying to connect a led to the S/C relay in the fuse box? The box is on the driver side under the hood, so routing a wire would not be that hard. I would like to know if S/C is on or off, it may also help optimize fuel economy when cruising long distances.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM

2003 C32
you can't tell if your SC is on or off already? it's pretty audible and you can feel it, plus, look at your RPMs.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by gkstar
Has anyone thought of trying to connect a led to the S/C relay in the fuse box? The box is on the driver side under the hood, so routing a wire would not be that hard. I would like to know if S/C is on or off, it may also help optimize fuel economy when cruising long distances.
I was going to do that on my E55. Just for the reason you listed, at highway speed I can't tell if it is engaged or not. I know at highway cruise it should be disengaged but don't know at what higher speed it will re-engage. Our E55 also have a blower bypass valve that may open under conditions of low loads and low RPMs with the S/C still engaged, so some have told me the way to tell is with a boost / vacuum gage in the car.
If you try it post the out come here TIA.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by flush
you can't tell if your SC is on or off already? it's pretty audible and you can feel it, plus, look at your RPMs.
I can't say I have ever been able to tell the transition from off-to-on. It might be a useful diagnostic tool. What we'd really need is a light indicating when the clutch for the S/C is engaged or not. I'm not sure if that can be "tapped" via the fusebox.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:25 PM

2002 C32
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I can't say I have ever been able to tell the transition from off-to-on. It might be a useful diagnostic tool. What we'd really need is a light indicating when the clutch for the S/C is engaged or not. I'm not sure if that can be "tapped" via the fusebox.
I think it's a great idea especially for those (like me) who are trying to work out if they are having I/C pump issues.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can tell the difference with a vacuum gauge hooked up very easily...

i also thought about hooking up a switch to the supercharger clutch wiring so i could manually turn it off and on...purely for better fuel economy
Old 04-30-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
I was going to tap it at the S/C plug, and run the wire around the fuse block then up to the trailing edge of the hood and hot glue the LED just under the edge. Then if it works (and looks cool) go the distance and put a LED in the cluster and wire it up nice.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Yes, I am referring to the relay that controls the clutch, it is in the fuse box under the hood and I can tell which specific relay it is when I get back home - I have the schematics. I do not believe the added minuscule LED load will interfere at all given the clutch likely consumes quite a bit more.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32

i also thought about hooking up a switch to the supercharger clutch wiring so i could manually turn it off and on...purely for better fuel economy
Be carefully with this though. The computer knows how to avoid stress on the belts and pulleys and can choose the right time to switch S/C on or off.

If you do not switch back and forth while driving (but only during complete stop), then it should be safe.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
I think this would be a waste of time. Even if you know when the SC is engaged and when it is not is not going to save any gas. The SC engages above 2900rpm for several reasons - one being that the engine cannot breath through the SC without it turning at higher RPMs (like 3000 and above).

So if you disable the SC above 2900rpms you will see a huge performance drop over even a C320. Gas mileage will suffer as well.

You can try this by un-plugging the SC clutch and going for a drive. The car feels like a C320 below 3000rpm, but above that it falls on its face.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by gkstar
That is too funny, as I was thinking of the same thing. It would make for a cool conversation piece too. I'd guess it would be easy to do?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 PM

Amg C32
interesting idea

very interesting idea, I was going to install a Start up Button & apexi indglow boost gauge in to my c32. Got the idea from my s2k, I wouldn't mind spending a lil more time to install a S/C on/off switch.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 PM

02 C32 AMG
Or Wife / Valet Switch?

I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes of getting some help on a project I've been contemplating since my wife has started nagging to drive the car more often.

I'm planning on running a switch to either the S/C relay or the SC Plug on the clutch itself, depending on what lends itself to ease / reliability. Preferred location would be the glovebox, so I can lock it off and put a blank key blade in my wife's remote. However, need to know what relay controls the S/C? I haven't been able to find a map / diagram anywhere - help!?
Old 03-09-2018, 05:28 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Eurocharged Rick

were you ever successful?? I know its been 11 years haha, just picked one up and had the same idea