Transmission problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG, C230 Kompressor, Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI
Transmission problem...

The other day I took my car to a track day in a city 3 hours away, when we arrived the supercharged started shutting off. I thought it had overheated so I let the car cool down for like an hour.

Then I went into the track but after the first lap the supercharged shutted down again. I decided to stop and wait again. Waited half an hour and the same thing happened.

After trying to check what was wrong a weird noise started to come from the tranny, it was s sound similar to the supercharger but more metallic. When we decided to leave I noticed that the car was stock in 2nd gear, it accelerated slowly, because supercharger was off, but it did move. I could use reverse without trouble but it also accelrated slowly.

We called MB assitance to pick up the car and bring it to the dealer. We moved it like 5 to 8 km to take to a place where they could find us more easily. In front of an AutoZone. When the car was around 3000-3500 rpm in made the same metallic noise.

The car was at the dealer and they told me it was a leak where the tranny oil line connects to the radiator and that I had to change the radiator. And like I got it cheaper buying it from the US. I ordered it trough the internet. But the dealer refused to intall it (different story). I took the car to a respected car shop and I had the radiator changed and the tranny oil refilled, they also changed the oil filter.

The oil leak is gone, but the problem is that the car is still stock in 2nd gear and the supercharged is still shutted down. What else could be wrong?? Do I have to take it back to the MB dealer and have the tranny reset?? Could it be that it still is in limp mode to protect the tranny?? or something else like the torque converter or something.

Hope anyone can help me,
BTW my car is a `02 C32
Old 05-10-2007, 10:48 AM

C32 AMG
IMO is to do reset old fshioned way - disconnect battery for approx. 1hour
if it is software issue it should take care of your problem. If mechanical you might be in trouble.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
You need to get the transmission fluid flushed out completely, a couple times. It does not take much glycol to goof up the tranny. May need to change the torque converter, since it cannot be drained. All the contaminant need to be flushed out.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
sounds like the intercooler pump and the glycol contamination happened at the same time.

supercharger would only shut off if the intake temperature is too hot which means your intercooler pump is not working.

the problem with the transmission is due to the gylcol leaking into the transmission.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 PM

The transmission is stuck in limp mode, with a capable scanner retrieve any and all fault codes in all modules.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG, C230 Kompressor, Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI
I dont think it is the intercooler pump, we already tested it and I have a different aftermarket pump adapted.

I would have to check for the glycol contamination.

Thanks