C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Coolant, where did you go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Coolant, where did you go?

I was running my car really hard today on the expressway and once I stopped almost 3/4 of my coolant basically vaporized. Was my car so hot that it made the coolant evaporate? my temparature was reading in between 80 to 120 right in the middle. Should I be worried?

Last edited by turbo16lbs; 05-20-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
No, the anticorrosion/antifreeze solution is not normally consumed whilst operating, even in sporting mode. Its level should remain relatively constant, allowing for requisite expansion and contraction cycles.

If your intercooler and its associated plumbing had not previously been properly bled or purged of residual air, than a sudden apparent decrease in antifreeze is no cause for alarm.

If your cooling medium continues to be consumed, it is imperative that you or a competent technician locate the source of its loss. Internal or external? If there is no evidence of fluids beneath the car, or in the engine compartment, then it may indeed be a faulty intercooler core.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:58 AM

'15 C400, 03' C240, '79 240D
eloquently put splinter.
hilarious thread title turbo16lbs
Old 05-20-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG - in Pewter
When the engine is cold, mark your coolant level with a tape on the reservoir wall. Compare in a few days, again when the engine is cold. If you keep loosing coolant, run to the dealer (yes, run) for a glycol contamination test on transmission fluid. If not addressed in a timely manner, this can damage torque converter and transmission, big $$$. Such contamination is common for 02 and early 03 models, due to Valeo radiator leak.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:46 PM

1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Thank you splinter for that detailed response.

Originally Posted by gkstar
When the engine is cold, mark your coolant level with a tape on the reservoir wall. Compare in a few days, again when the engine is cold. If you keep loosing coolant, run to the dealer (yes, run) for a glycol contamination test on transmission fluid. If not addressed in a timely manner, this can damage torque converter and transmission, big $$$. Such contamination is common for 02 and early 03 models, due to Valeo radiator leak.
If I were to take my car to the dealer and address this issue and it happens to be a contamination with the transmission, and I caught it in time, will I have to constantly have to ask them to do a Glycol test every oil change?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by turbo16lbs
Thank you splinter for that detailed response.

If I were to take my car to the dealer and address this issue and it happens to be a contamination with the transmission, and I caught it in time, will I have to constantly have to ask them to do a Glycol test every oil change?
I wouldn't think so. Just change the radiator and don't recheck unless there are symptoms. However, I doubt you could leak 3/4 of your coolant reservoir into the transmission without some crosscontamination of tranny oil into the coolant (which would be visible). I think it more likely that you have a bad intercooler core, and that you are actually consuming coolant through the engine's cylinders, like splinter implied.

Regards,
Pete
Old 05-23-2007, 05:12 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by gkstar
I believe this happened to the previous owner of my car.. as a result, the transmission had to be completely rebuilt