Bose Vs. Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by kleen C
basically...Harman Kardon is better than Bose
hahah are u kidding me, Bose Speakers are way way better then HK. My Car has a BOSE system and i can bet u my stock one will sound a lot better then ur stock speakers. and BOSE system are warrantied for life. even if u car warranty is over u can send ur speaker directly to BOSE and they will send u new ones for free. the Sound quality of a BOSE is way better the HK how ever HK does make better Amp's - they are equivalent to the BLAUEPUNKT Amps. all the C32 have bose speakers and Blauepunkt Amps. the only reason Benz switched to HK sound system is because of price cuts. they are cheaper then the bose system for the cars. But in the S-Class and SL-Class and the SLR u can still order a BOSE system with extra $$$$.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by Harry Madan
hahah are u kidding me, Bose Speakers are way way better then HK. My Car has a BOSE system and i can bet u my stock one will sound a lot better then ur stock speakers. and BOSE system are warrantied for life. even if u car warranty is over u can send ur speaker directly to BOSE and they will send u new ones for free. the Sound quality of a BOSE is way better the HK how ever HK does make better Amp's - they are equivalent to the BLAUEPUNKT Amps. all the C32 have bose speakers and Blauepunkt Amps. the only reason Benz switched to HK sound system is because of price cuts. they are cheaper then the bose system for the cars. But in the S-Class and SL-Class and the SLR u can still order a BOSE system with extra $$$$.
That's because customers that have a lot of money and don't know much about audio think that Bose is great. Bose is pretty much considered total crap by the audio community.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by slowrey
Just a quick question, I've looked at the 2006 Brochure however I'm at a loss. I have a 2006 C55 with the Navigation.

1. Can anyone tell me how can you tell if you have Bose or HK?
2. Also anyone tell me the differences between speakers for both of them?
3. What speakers are in the car?

Thanks I've searched for hours and can't seem to find the information.
UR car has a full HK system the command is powered by the HK AMP and all the speakers in the car are HK. If u look over the rear Driver speaker
(i think the Sub in ur car is in the rear behind the driver or if not its behind the Passenger) but either way there will be a little tag on top of the speaker saying HK. its only on top of that one speaker, or if u pull ur command out u'll see th HK stamp on the back right above the amp. but its for sure that u have an HK sound system.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by kleen C
i dont know, Bose does not live up to its name anymore
that is because there are so many ppl wanting to bounce off there name. a lot of ppl think they are buying BOSE but they are really buying BOSS. two different companies. the BOSS sucks where BOSE speakers are top of the line. BOSE only specializes in speakers not amps. I have owned different BOSE systems and i have never been let down by them. All the Porsche still come with the BOSE system.

and the VOLVO 13 Speaker system is the same as the BOSE 13 speaker system in the Porsche. and personally i like the system in the porsche way better then the Volvo. I dont think u have really been in a car with a good BOSE system. to be able to judge that.

Sorry guys i'm a Die hard BOSE fan. even in my house i have a 8.1 Bose speaker system with a HK amp and wow the sound quality is amazing. a lot better then what i had with the HK speakers.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
that is because there are so many ppl wanting to bounce off there name. a lot of ppl think they are buying BOSE but they are really buying BOSS. two different companies. the BOSS sucks where BOSE speakers are top of the line.
You're exactly who Bose targets. Bose is sooo far from top of the line. Check out avsforums or any audiophile resource. Bose is considered the devil. Bose survives by convincing people that don't comparison shop that Bose is great and high end. Bose insists that their resellers put their speaker displays separate from other brands to make it more difficult for the consumer to do a back to back comparison in the store. Sure, a Bose surround sound system sounds absolutely amazing compared to those two 5W speakers in your TV that you previously used, but Bose is crap compared to another reputable brand in the same price range. They're mid range at best.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
2001-2004 W203s were available with the BOSE system, while 2005 and after W203s were available with the Harman Kardon system. You can tell which system you have by either the year of your car or looking at the rear seat hat shelf where they have little tags for the speakers that either say "Bose" or "Harman Kardon". It is not said on the speakers in the doors on the C-Classes. This answers slowrey's 1st question. Unfortunately, I cannot answer the second and third questions completely.

There are many differences between the two completely different audio systems.

The HK system is very high-powered, but also has a few problems such as bass response.
- Bass response on my HK system is not clean, but sometimes overpowering.
- Also, the speakers are so overpowered that you can actually feel them vibrating with your left leg (hope that doesn't cause cancer).
- The HK system is indeed prone to distortion as CynCarvin32 stated, the tweeters are also ironically underpowered so you don't get much of the higher notes, thus, some people may complain they hear the midrange and the bass unproportionately more than the treble.
- Also the HK system's rear subwoofer rattles on several W203s I know when you turn the volume too high even with the Bass set to "0".
- Lastly, ironically, the HK system on the E46 3 series from BMW is a similar system, but in my opinion, sounds slightly more balanced. Can't confirm this for sure since I don't own one and can't jump between the two to compare.

The Bose system does sound very good indeed but it's underpowered in my opinion.
- The Bose System is much more refined in my opinion, the bass never overpowering.
- Bose has been criticized as just a successful marketing ploy, and nothing more; honestly, this isn't entirely true. They are actually a decent company with decent products, but for the cost/quality analysis, there are companies that have similar quality performance, but at less cost. Bang and Olufsen is also a very good product, but for that kind of money, you can get better.
- Bose system has less sound distortion, but once again, its lower powered, which in some ways makes it easier to have less distortion.

All in all, the two audio systems are decent in quality and performance. Neither can be said to be better than the other. Additionally, it truly matters on what kind of music you listen to and your personal preferences. It can be said however, the rattling subwoofer present on the HK systems is a pain, but this cannot be blamed upon the system itself.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
and the VOLVO 13 Speaker system is the same as the BOSE 13 speaker system in the Porsche. and personally i like the system in the porsche way better then the Volvo.
In the Volvo S60R and S60 Premium stereo upgrade the HU is made by Mitsubishi and the speakers are made by Harmon. In the C70 it's totally Dynaudio.

Not sure where you come up with Volvo being Bose?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:36 AM

In the Volvo S60R and S60 Premium stereo upgrade the HU is made by Mitsubishi and the speakers are made by Harmon. In the C70 it's totally Dynaudio.

Not sure where you come up with Volvo being Bose?
i did not say that VOLVO has a Bose system. i said that the Volvo's 13 speaker system is the same type of 13 speaker system that porsche has but porsche is a bose system. i did not indicate what kind of system that volvo has i was just comparing that they both have a 13 speaker system. and i have herd them both first hand and i prefer the porsche system

==== Please read it carefully next time=====
Old 06-05-2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by jgsx
That's because customers that have a lot of money and don't know much about audio think that Bose is great. Bose is pretty much considered total crap by the audio community.
what audio book have u been reading ?????
Old 06-05-2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by patrick_y
2001-2004 W203s were available with the BOSE system, while 2005 and after W203s were available with the Harman Kardon system. You can tell which system you have by either the year of your car or looking at the rear seat hat shelf where they have little tags for the speakers that either say "Bose" or "Harman Kardon". It is not said on the speakers in the doors on the C-Classes. This answers slowrey's 1st question. Unfortunately, I cannot answer the second and third questions completely.

The HK system is very high-powered, but also has a few problems such as bass response.
- Also, the speakers are so overpowered that you can actually feel them vibrating with your left leg (hope that doesn't cause cancer).
- The HK system is indeed prone to distortion as CynCarvin32 stated, the tweeters are also ironically underpowered so you don't get much of the higher notes, thus, some people may complain they hear the midrange and the bass unproportionately more than the treble.
- Also the HK system's rear subwoofer rattles on several W203s I know when you turn the volume too high even with the Bass set to "0".
- Lastly, ironically, the HK system on the E46 3 series from BMW is a similar system, but in my opinion, sounds slightly more balanced. Can't confirm this for sure since I don't own one and can't jump between the two to compare.

The Bose system does sound very good indeed but it's underpowered in my opinion.
- The Bose System is much more refined in my opinion, the bass never overpowering.
- Bose has been criticized as just a successful marketing ploy, and nothing more; honestly, this isn't entirely true. They are actually a decent company with decent products, but for the cost/quality analysis, there are companies that have similar quality performance, but at less cost. Bang and Olufsen is also a very good product, but for that kind of money, you can get better.
- Bose system has less sound distortion, but once again, its lower powered, which in some ways makes it easier to have less distortion.

All in all, the two audio systems are decent in quality and performance. Neither can be said to be better than the other. Additionally, it truly matters on what kind of music you listen to and your personal preferences. It can be said however, the rattling subwoofer present on the HK systems is a pain, but this cannot be blamed upon the system itself.
Good right up i dont think i would have been able to explain that well. But i would agree with you.
But just one note. the system in my car for some reason is not under powered my car really really pounds and its Cristal clear without any distortion at all. thus is why i like the Bose system, i have head my friends HK system in his C55 and it does not compare up to mine. then again it could solely be the music we listen to i will try to put the same CD in both cars and see if i can notice the sound difference.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:56 AM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
i did not say that VOLVO has a Bose system. i said that the Volvo's 13 speaker system is the same type of 13 speaker system that porsche has but porsche is a bose system. i did not indicate what kind of system that volvo has i was just comparing that they both have a 13 speaker system. and i have herd them both first hand and i prefer the porsche system

==== Please read it carefully next time=====

I did read carefully, you said "and the VOLVO 13 Speaker system is the same as the BOSE 13 speaker system in the Porsche". They are not the same. They "may" have the same number of speakers but they are not the same.

Maybe you should explain yourself better since obviously we are having a communication issue...
Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 AM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
Originally Posted by patrick_y

Well I guess I have the Harmon Kardon system since my car is a 2006. I looked under the hatshelf tonight and noticed it had one subwoofer speaker.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I had HK in my 03 Range Rover and it was great, as is the Bose in my S4. Neither are as good as a $10k Linn system in an Aston but to call either Bose or HK crap is ridiculous.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 AM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
I had HK in my 03 Range Rover and it was great, as is the Bose in my S4. Neither are as good as a $10k Linn system in an Aston but to call either Bose or HK crap is ridiculous.
I'd say the best system that I personally know of is the Ford GT. The McIntosh system is awesome!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I'd say the best system that I personally know of is the Ford GT. The McIntosh system is awesome!
I'd love the chance to get to know it
Old 06-05-2007, 01:26 AM

Bose and HK sucks.....

go to www.reusaudio.com and upgrade your system today .. you will thank me for it!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
11 yr old HK in my parent's 96 XJ-12 is better than my5 yr old Bose.

anywayz, the Bose has a crisp and clean output comepare to the HK in the c55. only complaint with the Bose is the lack of bass because of the single tiny sub using the entire trunk as it's chamber.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:53 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Well I guess I have the Harmon Kardon system since my car is a 2006. I looked under the hatshelf tonight and noticed it had one subwoofer speaker.
you guess you have Harmon Kardon or you know you have Harmon Kardon. If you have the HK system then you can easily tell from the HK logo presence on the speaker cover. If you don't have those logo then you have the standard Alpine speakers.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
what audio book have u been reading ?????
Actually, that statement is correct. The audio community regards Bose as a complete marketing ploy... Such as Monster Cable.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM

2005 Brabus C55
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
After having 4 W203 cars I have to disagree with you opinion. The bose was cleaner sounding, less shrill, had deeper bass response, was less prone to distortion, and had better vocal reproduction.

The HK had all the specs on paper but when it came to playing music it was a cut below the bose system.

I just dont think the HK is that great in any MB. The W211 system is ok and a W211 is pretty good until it starts to distort but none equal what is on the market from the competition.
My wifes old ML320's Bose System blew away my C55 HK ... less shrill, way better base is correct and handled higher volumes better. No clue on the specs were for either system. The Bose was a $1000-ish upgrade but well worth it. I believe the HK in my C55 was an up-grade as well.

Can't believe my C55 HK system is their best effort ... want an aftermarket sub!

Without comparing specs and cost, it's probably hard to say which is better. An top of the line HK is probably better than a low end Bose ... and visa versa.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
My Bose system is absolutely horrid for a car of this class.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
HK is hands down better. Well, obviously, that's why Mercedes-Benz sound engineers moved away from Bose

And by the way, B&O is just expensive and design, not actually the best quality!

Tee_Tz.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
goood lord fellas.. they are jst speakerz... ...
I didn't even know that there was a "BOSS" speakers??

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 06-05-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
No, they're HK speakers! LOL....

Tee_Tz.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo

It's not like you can tell the difference anyway. At least I can't. My stock HK system sounds great. But if I were to change speakers, I'd just go with PolkAudio.

What's with all these "What's better, X or Y?" threads lately.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bose Vs. Harmon Kardon