C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Bose Vs. Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Audi has a B&O system now and it's sick. $6300 option I think.
B&O make incredible stuff, but it's still overpriced imo. But they have magnificent build quality. Back in the days I had a B&O television, which was made in 1985. When I switched it out in 2005, it was pretty much exactly the same as the day it was bought. The only repair it ever needed was a lamp change after 15 years of constant use.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:43 PM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
Well I looked at the subwoofer in the rear parcel shelf and it said Harmon Kardon. Guess I have HK system.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM

C32
Bose car audio is above average, but far from mind blowing. Buyer beware however, as not every high end brand's products are made by that manufacturer. Rumor has it that McIntosh's head units are made by Clarion. I'm also unsure whether the Mark Levinson hardware in Lexus vehicles are really made by them.

Bose home audio on the other hand, are quite subpar except for their 901 speakers. Kudos to the company for establishing itself as the champion of the uninformed.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by ultraseven
Bose car audio is above average, but far from mind blowing. Buyer beware however, as not every high end brand's products are made by that manufacturer. Rumor has it that McIntosh's head units are made by Clarion. I'm also unsure whether the Mark Levinson hardware in Lexus vehicles are really made by them.

Bose home audio on the other hand, are quite subpar except for their 901 speakers. Kudos to the company for establishing itself as the champion of the uninformed.

Well said my man. Bose is KING of that.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:46 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Harry Madan
and BOSE system are warrantied for life. even if u car warranty is over u can send ur speaker directly to BOSE and they will send u new ones for free.
Can anyone verify this as truth? One of my speakers is blown (the one that sits on top in the back) so I had to just disconnect it cause it just made a rattling noise. Anyone online website or phone number I can call to verify if this is a true statement?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
Can anyone verify this as truth? One of my speakers is blown (the one that sits on top in the back) so I had to just disconnect it cause it just made a rattling noise. Anyone online website or phone number I can call to verify if this is a true statement?
there phone # is
1-800-231-2673
Hours of operation
Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM ET

i had them replace the bose speaker in my mom's Infinity last year. she owns a 2000 infiniti qx4
Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 AM

'02 C32; '02 M5; '08 328i (US)
and BOSE system are warrantied for life. even if u car warranty is over u can send ur speaker directly to BOSE and they will send u new ones for free.
Where you get that information? The BOSE door speaker on my '02 died and I replaced them with cheapo MBQuarts and the sounds are so much better even running with the OE digital amp. The BOSE speakers that I replaced were all paper speakers... Where did you read that they'll replace it for free?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:02 AM

C32
Originally Posted by M5CLK
Where you get that information? The BOSE door speaker on my '02 died and I replaced them with cheapo MBQuarts and the sounds are so much better even running with the OE digital amp. The BOSE speakers that I replaced were all paper speakers... Where did you read that they'll replace it for free?
Even cheapo MBQuarts are a step up from the BOSE OEM speakers.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
After having 4 W203 cars I have to disagree with you opinion. The bose was cleaner sounding, less shrill, had deeper bass response, was less prone to distortion, and had better vocal reproduction.

The HK had all the specs on paper but when it came to playing music it was a cut below the bose system.

I just dont think the HK is that great in any MB. The W211 system is ok and a W211 is pretty good until it starts to distort but none equal what is on the market from the competition.
yup the blose is better. both suck compared to an aftermarket system tho.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by jgsx
That's because customers that have a lot of money and don't know much about audio think that Bose is great.
really? then lexus would have bose then. they are the champions of mindless consumers.

and the 21 speaker bose system in maybachs is excellent.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:36 AM

1993 190E 2.6
Trying to define Bose or HK is impossible. You would have to have the same level line of speakers. In the same cars. Engineered by the respecting manufacturer. But, of course the cheap HK wont sound as good as some of the nice MOMO. But the really nice HK is the top of the line for them. In the same respect. When MB ordered Bose they make a paper speaker to sound pretty nice. You can get nicer Bose speakers as you can nicer HK. Your not always getting Top of the line, your just the best you're dealer carries.

Paying $6,800 for a stereo upgrade is the dealers way of putting it to you. That much money at a BLVD Customs would do something nasty you your sound. An 8" "sub" cant possible hit low enough to reproduce a sub bass sound that a 10" or a 12" can. 3 way components are great, if angled, placed, tuned, and powered correctly. Some car manufactures don't care enough to pay Bose/hk/whoever to do that kind of research because "you wont notice" but will pay for the name.

Its unfair to say one brand sucks. If you want to break it down. HK is made by the same people, with the same technology as MOMO. Which is Polk Audio. Which is not the best sounding speaker if you get the cheap low end ones.

When Toyota first came out they had Fujitsu Ten Stereo. When they came out with "Lexus" They had to have a premium stereo. So came Eclipse. Same product as what was in the Toyota, just a new name. lol. Now Eclipse is one of the nicest speakers you can get. IMO. They have a wonderful clean clear level sound.

Now, to break-down Bose. They develop "sound systems" not speakers. They are designed to have an equilibrium in bass, mid-bass, and treble response. No one noise should be louder then another. For the people who want that "sound" is perfect. For people who want something else, they will say they don't like Bose "sound".

The Premium Sound system offered by a dealer is one of the biggest rip offs Ive ever seen in car stereo. They make so much money on it. You can get it from a Car stereo shop cheaper. But, it doesn't go into your loan So they get you there.

I have $16 3.5inch speakers in my dash. They are eclipse. They get really loud and really clean. They even have a peak power shut off to them, so that if I'm over powering them they will cut off for a moment to let me know to turn them down. They were $16.

If you have Bose or HK. Turn it up! If you like how it sounds. Wonderful. If not, get something else.

Last edited by PhilipM1; 06-07-2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by PhilipM3
Trying to define Bose or HK is impossible. You would have to have the same level line of speakers. In the same cars. Engineered by the respecting manufacturer. But, of course the cheap HK wont sound as good as some of the nice MOMO. But the really nice HK is the top of the line for them. In the same respect. When MB ordered Bose they make a paper speaker to sound pretty nice. You can get nicer Bose speakers as you can nicer HK. Your not always getting Top of the line, your just the best you're dealer carries.

Paying $6,800 for a stereo upgrade is the dealers way of putting it to you. That much money at a BLVD Customs would do something nasty you your sound. An 8" "sub" cant possible hit low enough to reproduce a sub bass sound that a 10" or a 12" can. 3 way components are great, if angled, placed, tuned, and powered correctly. Some car manufactures don't care enough to pay Bose/hk/whoever to do that kind of research because "you wont notice" but will pay for the name.

Its unfair to say one brand sucks. If you want to break it down. HK is made by the same people, with the same technology as MOMO. Which is Polk Audio. Which is not the best sounding speaker if you get the cheap low end ones.

When Toyota first came out they had Fujitsu Ten Stereo. When they came out with "Lexus" They had to have a premium stereo. So came Eclipse. Same product as what was in the Toyota, just a new name. lol. Now Eclipse is one of the nicest speakers you can get. IMO. They have a wonderful clean clear level sound.

Now, to break-down Bose. They develop "sound systems" not speakers. They are designed to have an equilibrium in bass, mid-bass, and treble response. No one noise should be louder then another. For the people who want that "sound" is perfect. For people who want something else, they will say they don't like Bose "sound".

The Premium Sound system offered by a dealer is one of the biggest rip offs Ive ever seen in car stereo. They make so much money on it. You can get it from a Car stereo shop cheaper. But, it doesn't go into your loan So they get you there.

I have $16 3.5inch speakers in my dash. They are eclipse. They get really loud and really clean. They even have a peak power shut off to them, so that if I'm over powering them they will cut off for a moment to let me know to turn them down. They were $16.

If you have Bose or HK. Turn it up! If you like how it sounds. Wonderful. If not, get something else.
This is actually a really good point. I had a BOSE system in my 02 Z06 and that was one of the best sounding car stereos I have ever heard. Hands down. Yes it was Bose, but the speakers were towards the top of their line and each speaker had it's own amp. I miss it.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:17 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
there phone # is
1-800-231-2673
Hours of operation
Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM ET

i had them replace the bose speaker in my mom's Infinity last year. she owns a 2000 infiniti qx4
On Bose's website here:

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...anty/index.jsp

They mention a 1 year warranty and 5 year warranty, but nothing about lifetime...

"The Bose® Limited Warranty lasts one year from the purchase date for electronic products, systems, and powered speaker components, accessories, and other products not listed here unless specified in the Owner’s Guide. The Limited Warranty lasts for five years for speaker components that are not self-powered (amplified). Powered component speakers have a one-year Limited Warranty term for the electronics and five years for the speakers."
Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 PM

6-speed 2010 C300 Sport P2, Multimedia+ Command+, Advanced Agility Control Panorama White on black
Talking

As I posted before, the logic of Dr. Bose: "Bose believes that imperfect knowledge of psychoacoustics limits the ability to adequately characterize quantitatively any two arbitrary sounds that are perceived differently, and to adequately characterize and quantify all aspects of perceived quality. He believes, for example, that distortion is much over-rated as a factor in perceived quality in the complex sounds that comprise music, noting that a sine wave and a square wave (a hugely distorted sine wave) are audibly indistinguishable above 7 kHz. Similarly, he does not find measurable relevance to perceived quality in other easily measured parameters of loudspeakers and electronics, and therefore does not publish those specifications for Bose products. The ultimate test, Bose insists, is the listener's perception of audible quality (or lack of it) and his or her own preferences.[23]

Unlike other major speaker manufacturers, Bose does not publish specifications relating to the measured electrical and objective acoustic performance of its products.[24][25] This reluctance to publish information is due to Bose's rejection of these measurements in favour of "more meaningful measurement and evaluation procedures".[26]

- Wikipedia.org/bose

In short, If you're recording music in a studio, you'd want H/K because they're focused on technical merrits.

BUT... If you want to FEEL, and not just 'listen' to your music, demand BOSE.
No sound system in the price category can hold the key notes of a song or resonate as clearly across a room as a bose does while still preserving the quality of the voices and instruments that most music lovers prefer to hear in thier music.

Much in the same way that a piano or a guitar solo can move an entire crowd while a boom box can **** off an entire room...

BOSE systems offer something qualitatively grand; whereas H/K's are simply technically accurate.

..not that I'm biased, of course

But yes, if money is no object, I'll have to agree with the Bang and Olufsen crowd... IF Money was no object, mind you.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 PM

6-speed 2010 C300 Sport P2, Multimedia+ Command+, Advanced Agility Control Panorama White on black
Arrow PS

For the record, I've had plenty of H/K's and BOSE in my cars and in my home... For all around listening: BOSE BOSE BOSE.

And again, I'f you're in the market for a beautiful $17,000 home audio system or a magnificent $8,300 car stereo, I wholly endorse Bang & Olufsen; The art and science of sound

check out their interactive websites for crying out loud!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
no highs, no lows...must be bose
Old 07-19-2013, 05:06 PM

2005 Mercedes C55 AMG
Originally Posted by 14cue
maybe you should get a volvo then...if you are that picky about your sound then you should upgrade. OEM sound systems are never the greatest.
Really they're not the greatest? Obviously you can spend thousands of dollars to upgrade but there are plenty of amazing stock systems out there. I have 2 Lexus LS classes.1 is a 1996 and it has an AMAZING system in it. 4 1.5" tweeters and 4 5 x 7's. 10 inch sub in the back and it sounds better than some after market systems I've heard.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:17 PM

E230
Originally Posted by j_belll
i didnt laugh
I didn't laugh either
Old 01-07-2024, 08:53 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
10+ years later. Totally worth it.
Old 07-03-2024, 02:56 AM

E230
hahah are u kidding me, Bose Speakers are way way better then HK. My Car has a BOSE system and i can bet u my stock one will sound a lot better then ur stock speakers. and BOSE system are warrantied for life. even if u car warranty is over u can send ur speaker directly to BOSE and they will send u new ones for free. the Sound quality of a BOSE is way better the HK how ever HK does make better Amp's - they are equivalent to the BLAUEPUNKT Amps. all the C32 have bose speakers and Blauepunkt Amps. the only reason Benz switched to HK sound system is because of price cuts. they are cheaper then the bose system for the cars. But in the S-Class and SL-Class and the SLR u can still order a BOSE system with extra $$$$.
Not sure where you got that info, bose speakers are not warrantied for life