C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

New (to me) C32 AMG - acceleration issues?!? - help!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Exclamation New (to me) C32 AMG - acceleration issues?!? - help!

Hello everyone!

I've read and enjoyed a lot of your threads (and pics) of your C32's. Might need a little help with mine - please offer any insights you may have!

I recently purchased a 2004 C32 w/ extremely low miles (19K when I picked it up, a little over 20K now). Car itself is in great condition - appears to be completely stock at this point. Black over charcoal, COMAND, bi-xenon's, heated seats, etc. - it's loaded, everything except the phone (which I prefer my cars not to have anyway). Car's still under factory warranty until mid-Feb 2008.

Anyway, I've noticed that, at times, the acceleration of the car is TERRIBLE. Recently, on the highway, I was following some P.O.S. (Kia maybe?), light traffic, about 75-80 mph. In our lane ahead a mattress had fallen off of a truck, and we both had to come almost to a complete stop on the highway to avoid it (probably down to 10-15 mph). I'm in drive, sport setting, ESP on, don't bother to manually downshift but I just move over an extra lane and mash the gas to get around the Kia. And - wait for it - the car started accelerating like a complete pig (the Kia was actually getting up to speed faster!). It literally felt like it had no power at all. Eventually, I got back up to speed, so no big deal - but I was a little concerned obviously. I've read in some of these threads that a similiar problem can happen when the intercooler pump fails, but is this a problem w/ 2004s, especially w/ only about 20K miles?

The car is due for a "B" service soon anyway, so I intend to mention it to the dealer, but anything you might add would help me be better prepared in advance - thanks!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Yes, you have the I/C pump issue going on here (you knew that already from the other threads). I believe that POS pump can give out at almost any time in the life of your car. Just get it changed out, especially if you are still under warranty. You'll be happy then.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:14 AM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
what a pump usually cost? i'm not under warrenty
Old 06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by edtv82
what a pump usually cost? i'm not under warrenty

Take a look at the thread that 1FastC32 put together. It's the Cheap Intercooler Pump relacement thread on the first page. You should be able to change this yourself for about $100.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Hello everyone!

I've read and enjoyed a lot of your threads (and pics) of your C32's. Might need a little help with mine - please offer any insights you may have!

I recently purchased a 2004 C32 w/ extremely low miles (19K when I picked it up, a little over 20K now). Car itself is in great condition - appears to be completely stock at this point. Black over charcoal, COMAND, bi-xenon's, heated seats, etc. - it's loaded, everything except the phone (which I prefer my cars not to have anyway). Car's still under factory warranty until mid-Feb 2008.

Anyway, I've noticed that, at times, the acceleration of the car is TERRIBLE. Recently, on the highway, I was following some P.O.S. (Kia maybe?), light traffic, about 75-80 mph. In our lane ahead a mattress had fallen off of a truck, and we both had to come almost to a complete stop on the highway to avoid it (probably down to 10-15 mph). I'm in drive, sport setting, ESP on, don't bother to manually downshift but I just move over an extra lane and mash the gas to get around the Kia. And - wait for it - the car started accelerating like a complete pig (the Kia was actually getting up to speed faster!). It literally felt like it had no power at all. Eventually, I got back up to speed, so no big deal - but I was a little concerned obviously. I've read in some of these threads that a similiar problem can happen when the intercooler pump fails, but is this a problem w/ 2004s, especially w/ only about 20K miles?

The car is due for a "B" service soon anyway, so I intend to mention it to the dealer, but anything you might add would help me be better prepared in advance - thanks!

90% chance it's your intercooler coolant pump. It's a simple pump and the dealer must replace it (under warranty). When it's broken, the intercooler is nonfunctional, and when the intake air gets too hot, the computer shuts off the supercharger, making your 350HP engine into a 185HP wheeze-bag.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Take a look at the thread that 1FastC32 put together. It's the Cheap Intercooler Pump relacement thread on the first page. You should be able to change this yourself for about $100.
thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 PM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
acceleration issues

I've just begun to notice the same problem,... sometimes I got it, sometimes I ain't. If you got some warranty left get to a dealer fast. I've read the threads and the most knowledgable posters seem to feel that no serious damage will come from driving under these conditions (failed I/C pump), but they recommend having it addressed ASAP!

Fortunately, my previous owner purchased the Mercedes-Care extended warranty for an extra 48 months and 100k miles (Premium coverage)! So I'm covered up until mid 2009!

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the feedback. I'll have the dealer replace the IC pump when I take it in for the "B" service (any tips for if they put up an argument about this? or is that extremely unlikely, since it's an easy fix?)

I've also noticed an EXTREMELY slight drivetrain "jerk" or "surge" @ highway speeds, that I'm pretty sure isn't a shift. I've read that some cars have a problem with this b/c of a bad radiator and contamination of their tranny's fluid (particularly '02s), but I'm guessing that mine might just be a "normal" side-effect of the supercharger clutch engaging or disengaging. I wonder a bit if the M-B (and AMG) engineers outsmarted themselves a bit with the whole "supercharger clutch" idea - I realize it helps gas mileage when just cruising along (right? isn't that the purpose?) but if it causes some weird mechanical and/or operator issues, I'm not sure if maybe "simpler would've been better." I don't have those same kind of surges w/ my '02 C230K Coupe - but it's also a 6 spd manual, so there're several factors that might make the difference...

Anyway, thanks again everybody - I'm looking forward to the day when I pull the trigger on an upgrade or two... any thoughts on getting headers (Supersprint, evosport, Kleemann, etc.) first, and then next summer sometime going w/ something like Renntech's Stage I (ECU and pulley) upgrade? I'm just thinking that, if my car's out of warranty then anyway, might as well upgrade then instead of now. Thoughts/comments? Thanks!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:41 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
The I/C pump failure can cause these jerks. In my case they were more pronounced. Due to the pump failure, your S/C will work intermittently as the air intake temperature will go up shortly after the S/C turns on. At that point, the ECU will detect that and shut off the S/C. Then, when the air temperature cools (as the S/C is off), the computer may decide to turn the S/C on again (if all other conditions are in place, like acceleration demand, RPMs...). At that point you may feel the jerk - it may happen if you are cruising at high speeds, where no shift would be expected.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Thanks everybody, I appreciate the feedback. I'll have the dealer replace the IC pump when I take it in for the "B" service (any tips for if they put up an argument about this? or is that extremely unlikely, since it's an easy fix?)

I've also noticed an EXTREMELY slight drivetrain "jerk" or "surge" @ highway speeds, that I'm pretty sure isn't a shift. I've read that some cars have a problem with this b/c of a bad radiator and contamination of their tranny's fluid (particularly '02s), but I'm guessing that mine might just be a "normal" side-effect of the supercharger clutch engaging or disengaging. I wonder a bit if the M-B (and AMG) engineers outsmarted themselves a bit with the whole "supercharger clutch" idea - I realize it helps gas mileage when just cruising along (right? isn't that the purpose?) but if it causes some weird mechanical and/or operator issues, I'm not sure if maybe "simpler would've been better." I don't have those same kind of surges w/ my '02 C230K Coupe - but it's also a 6 spd manual, so there're several factors that might make the difference...

Thanks!

The tranny "jerk" is not at highway speeds. You're experiencing supercharger shut-down.

As to the modifications, keep in mind that you are quite possibly voiding your VERY valuable warranty if you make significant performance upgrades.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32

Anyway, thanks again everybody - I'm looking forward to the day when I pull the trigger on an upgrade or two... any thoughts on getting headers (Supersprint, evosport, Kleemann, etc.) first, and then next summer sometime going w/ something like Renntech's Stage I (ECU and pulley) upgrade? I'm just thinking that, if my car's out of warranty then anyway, might as well upgrade then instead of now. Thoughts/comments? Thanks!
Could be glycol contamination, but as you appear to be having a IC pump issue anyways, I would think it's a side-effect of that. The other jerk, as mentioned is at lower speeds.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
The tranny "jerk" is not at highway speeds. You're experiencing supercharger shut-down.

As to the modifications, keep in mind that you are quite possibly voiding your VERY valuable warranty if you make significant performance upgrades.
That's why I was thinking keeping it something simple, like headers, for now. Once the car's out of warranty anyway (Mar 2008) I'd consider something like Renntech's ECU and pulley tuning. Nothing too crazy, as the AMG will "usually" be my daily-driver (still have the C230K, so that'll take over in wintertime, higher mileage trips, etc).

I've heard that, even if you do some upgrades, they can't void your warranty on unrelated stuff - and the burden of proof is on them to show that your upgrades DIRECTLY caused the failure - if so, then your on your own. Seems though from reading this message board that these engines (aside from a couple minor known issues) are pretty bullet-proof when it comes to adding 50-70hp through a couple bolt-on upgrades... agree?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I'd say that headers are the worst mod to do if you're worried about voiding your warranty. They're visible. You can put in a stock appearing pulley like the ASP and they won't see it unless they're specifically looking for it. They won't see software either.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
When it comes to mods and warranty, you need to consider the most bang for your buck and keeping the warranty. My feeling it that you would want to consider a Quafie (sp) Limited Slip Differential. You will see a greater change in your car, probably, than any other single mod. It is top on my wish list. I'm tired of losing tire grip, especially when making right-hand turns.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
Nice call.. I/C pump..
Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 AM

Oddly enough I have just got back from a weekend away and as i was travelling on the motorway same thing has just happened to my c32 (2003 just over 20K mileage) It is still happening however it is okay when car is cold but as soon as the car warms up i.e after 20 minutes I start to lose power when i put the accelerator down, I hardly get any power at all.

Did you get problem sorted out and if so was it the I/C Pump? I would really appreciate some advise before I take it to the dealers as I have no warranty.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sunnyk
Oddly enough I have just got back from a weekend away and as i was travelling on the motorway same thing has just happened to my c32 (2003 just over 20K mileage) It is still happening however it is okay when car is cold but as soon as the car warms up i.e after 20 minutes I start to lose power when i put the accelerator down, I hardly get any power at all.

Did you get problem sorted out and if so was it the I/C Pump? I would really appreciate some advise before I take it to the dealers as I have no warranty.
Haven't gotten it sorted out yet - but I'm due for a "B" service w/in the next 2 weeks. I'll set that up w/ my dealer shortly, and let you know the results of the alleged IC pump failure/replacement.

FYI, there's a thread on a cheap replacement idea using the pump from a Ford Lightning (apparently it's the same pump, slightly different wiring harness, and a fraction of the price of the MB part) - so if you're mechanically inclined, you might want to check out that thread. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

That's precisely the symptom.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up

Many Thanks for your help Fifth Ring / c32amgdtm !!

The garage has just phoned up and have said that it is the intercooler pump and as a bonus I will only have to pay half the cost as the garage kindly has spoke to Mercedes and told them that my car had just been serviced by them prior to it going faulty and that they think that it should not of gone faulty.
I am very happy with the service I have got from my dealer they have genuinely tried to help me and save me money, which seems like a rarity according to some of the post I have read regarding the merc dealers.
Maybe they are changing there ways now.

Anyway I get my car back tomorrow and it should be as fast as hell again!!

I have learnt one thing with this problem and that is I will never be able to own a "normal car again" once being used to the power of an AMG!!

Last edited by sunnyk; 06-12-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 AM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Many Thanks for your help Fifth Ring / c32amgdtm !!

The garage has just phoned up and have said that it is the intercooler pump and as a bonus I will only have to pay half the cost as the garage kindly has spoke to Mercedes and told them that my car had just been serviced by them prior to it going faulty and that they think that it should not of gone faulty.
I am very happy with the service I have got from my dealer they have genuinely tried to help me and save me money, which seems like a rarity according to some of the post I have read regarding the merc dealers.
Maybe they are changing there ways now.

Anyway I get my car back tomorrow and it should be as fast as hell again!!

I have learnt one thing with this problem and that is I will never be able to own a "normal car again" once being used to the power of an AMG!!
Yeah,.. you'll noticed an immediate difference. Not only will you note that your S/C won't go AWOL on you,.. you will also notice a significant increase in the performance you've recently become use to. With the pump fixed the S/C will be blowing cooler denser air at ALL times. With a faulty pump, the S/C actually blows warm and less dense air at ALL times,... well except for the first 10 15 minutes of drive time after an over-nite sit. Doesn't take long before that intake air temp rises without a pump. Even with the S/C working,... if it's blowing hot air, you ain't getting full AMG performance.

There's also some kind of control module involved in the S/C mix. They replaced mine,... but I'm not exactly sure what role it plays. We all know what the pump does,... but the module's role in the process is well beyond my understanding.