C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Was there any action taken for the intercooler core leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C32; '02 M5; '08 328i (US)
Was there any action taken for the intercooler core leak?

The check coolant level came on today and coolant level is down to like half tank.. My radiator has already been replaced so I'm thinking intercooler core leak... I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow but was wondering, was there any action taken about this common leak (class action?), any chance of getting the dealer to pay (My warranty's out..) Thanks!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:14 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by M5CLK
The check coolant level came on today and coolant level is down to like half tank.. My radiator has already been replaced so I'm thinking intercooler core leak... I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow but was wondering, was there any action taken about this common leak (class action?), any chance of getting the dealer to pay (My warranty's out..) Thanks!
There have been a few forum members that have had their radiator leak twice and went through the Gycol contamination nightmare twice. Don't rule it out.

Also, I thought the optimum level was a little over half a tank. I replaced my coolant sensor this past weekend and drained my fluid out. I replaced it with distilled water / water wetter. My light hasn't come on since then and my tank is a little over half full.

If there is a class action suit I would be all over it. Why don't you get one going?

FYI - I replaced the sensor and drained the coolant because I noticed last Friday that I had the same issues as you...check coolant light and half a tank of coolant.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:32 AM

The owner's manual says to fill the coolant tank right up to near the top black section when cold, and it's 1.5cm higher when hot.. Meaning at half tank, I lost half tank of coolant already. And I think when it got to half tank is when it'll first start triggering the coolant level sensor...

If it's indeed the intercooler core leak, it's a slow leak and since you've already refill the coolant, it will be a while before the light shows up again. I still think you should check the intake manifolds ASAP to make sure...
Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
My coolant dissipates as well so, I had taken my vehicle to Carmax since my extended warranty is with them and they instructed me to take the vehicle in to Mercedes-Benz. They didnt have the proper equipment to diagnose the coolant issue.

I had taken the car in for 5 issues:

1) Minor oil leak in the valve cover
2) Stepper motor for the A/C
3) Rear Sunshade malfunction
4) Coolant dissipates and needs to be constantly refilled upon aggressive driving
5) 1500 RPM Transmission jerk

The service advisor called me to notify me the coolant issue is due to the intercooler core malfunctioning and they need to replace the Supercharger as well. The Service Advisor explained to me some technical jargon about the supercharger being ceramic coated inside yada yada. The coolant was exiting the core and making its way back into the cylinders (this was discovered by performing a bore scope test). I figured what the hell do it all since its under warranty, so they called my warranty with Carmax and they sent out a claims adjustor since the repair is already over $6,000. So just a heads up.

And as far as the transmission jerk they're going to flash the TCU with the 2003 C32 software. We'll see how that turns out. The only thing not covered under my warranty was my rear sunshade because it's optional equipment. That little crap is worth $730..... eff that for now.

P.S. Just because I had a Carbon Fiber lip and some other cosmetic upgrades I was immediately asked if I race this car.... sigh.... I hate being labeled that.

I hope my post helps out. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:04 AM

Turned out it isn't the intercooler core.. In fact, they couldn't find any leak??!! They preformed pressure test and everything checked out, no leak, intake manifold is clean, no nothing.. Where did the coolant gone???
Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by M5CLK
Turned out it isn't the intercooler core.. In fact, they couldn't find any leak??!! They preformed pressure test and everything checked out, no leak, intake manifold is clean, no nothing.. Where did the coolant gone???

On Wednesday, I was driving home on the freeway when my car started to overheat. I pulled over and looked under the hood to find that all of my coolant in the res tank had sprayed out through the pressure cap. A HELP truck came by and filled me up with water. I dropped the car off at MB yesterday and I was told the same thing. No problems found after leak test. They said it must have been an air pocket that I left in the system when I flushed out my coolant this past weekend.

Go figure!