C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

why no wheelspin ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007 | 02:32 AM

silver 2002 c32 amg
why no wheelspin ?

okay a few weeks ago i treated myself to a racelogic performance box,
for anyone unfamiliar with this its a similar device to the g-tech and measures acceleration etc, but being gps based it's plug and play and is very accurate, it also happens to be the favoured device of most of the magazines available when they carry out their performance testing.

Anyway when it arrived i was quite anxious to have a go with it and check my results. i decided to just try a few 0-60 runs at first but after 3 or 4 attempts was dissapointed to find that i couldnt even beat 6 seconds, this had me thinking i must be pretty useless at launching so decided to just stamp on the gas and see what happens.
now in the past any attempt at doing this would just see the tyres go up in a cloud of smoke and/or esp cutting in,
but this time nothing, the car just seemed to get bogged down then just pull away, i tried this several times with the same result.
this was a fairly hot day so i thought maybe its just heat soak and so i tried again the following evening when it was much cooler. this time i did improve my times slightly and managed to break into the 5's but still no wheelspin no matter how hard i stamped on the gas.
at about this time i also started to get a fault message flashing up about battery/alternator so i took it in was told the alternator needed replacing.
I booked to get the job done and was hoping maybe this would somehow also solve my loss of power but no such luck as I now have the car back complete with new alternator and i am still unable to get the tyres to break traction.
I know the i/c pump is prone to fail but would it still cause problems when the engine is running cold
up until now i hadn't really noticed any loss of performance but clearly something is wrong
the only mods i have done so far are resonator delete and fitting a sprint booster
someone please help !!
Old 06-13-2007 | 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
I dunno.. just guessing but maybe u need to do the ECU reset trick?
Old 06-13-2007 | 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Sounds like the intercooler.. and you probably don't want to be going WOT with a cold engine..

I can spin my wheels even from a launch in 2nd.. and at any speed in first.. If I am rolling in first and stomp the gas I can light up the wheels no problem.
Old 06-13-2007 | 12:15 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
With no S/C, you will likely not be able to brake into the 5 secs. The C350, for example, is tested at 6.4 secs, which means the C320 (C32 minus the S/C) would have been a bit slower.

The other day I tried my stock C32 with G-Tech for the first time - no passenger and a full tank of gas, and I was able to run 5.4 secs but with wheels spinning quite a bit in the fist 60 feet at least as I had to correct back end skid twice. I hit 60` in 2.3 secs - shows the bad spin. With less fuel and better tires, it should easily go below 5, I hope. I have the older Michelin Street Pilots, not the PS version.

Out of curiosity, what type of tires do you have on the back?

Last edited by gkstar; 06-13-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2007 | 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by RW C55
I dunno.. just guessing but maybe u need to do the ECU reset trick?
If he has the "sprintbooster" then the ECU is effectively resetting all the time. That said, it might suspect the sprintbooster as a cause of the problem.

Probably stupid to ask, but was ESP shut off?
Old 06-13-2007 | 09:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
If he has the "sprintbooster" then the ECU is effectively resetting all the time. That said, it might suspect the sprintbooster as a cause of the problem.

Probably stupid to ask, but was ESP shut off?

This is an interesting question about wheelspin. When I first got this car it had rather worn Dunlop sp5000 tires, and they would spin like crazy. I replaced them with Yokohama Advan S4 tires, and now I can only spin if I bring it up to about 2000rpm while braking and drop it. I would think that the lack of spin is a good thing for 0-60 times, as well as for tire life.

Regards,
Pete
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:48 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by amgmark
Sounds like the intercooler.. and you probably don't want to be going WOT with a cold engine..

I can spin my wheels even from a launch in 2nd.. and at any speed in first.. If I am rolling in first and stomp the gas I can light up the wheels no problem.
Disturbing story; I go to the Benz dealer and we go to test drive an E55, the clown salesdude gets in the car, starts it up, I hop in and 10 seconds later he gets on it??????? I look at him like WTF???? He looks at me and reads my face as OMG this car is lighting fast......to bad he didn't read the situation all to well. So we get back and I ask him how many times he took this one out for a test drive and spatts back over 15 times -- that was the end of possibly buying that one.........
Old 06-14-2007 | 01:39 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah I always let my car warm up that's rediculous. Salesmen are such morons. Although they did let me beat up on a clk63 and I had a ball doing it, after they took it out of the showroom. It was however somewhat warm.

With regard to the wheelspin, I cannot comment on the 32 problems as I have a 55 with zero problems that afflict that car, Did you maybe have it in C mode instead of S??? I did that the other day and wanted to jump on it and was like WTF. (I just got back from a canyon run in M and just toggled it without looking to auto mode).
Old 06-14-2007 | 06:21 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
okay an update on my lack of power issues !!

took the car in to my local mercedes garage, explained the symptoms and after an hour in the shop the S/A tells me that the problem is indeed down to the I/C pump and that it will set me back £560 gbp ($1100) to get it fixed

so now i need to find someone who can supply the ford lightning pump or another alternative in the uk and save myself some money

also on an unrelated matter ,
i have found a company who can supply and fit the supersprint headers for a good price
would this be a worthwhile mod considering i will be doing further mods in the future and am i likely to notice much of a difference considering my car is pretty much stock at the moment
Old 06-16-2007 | 01:30 AM

Amg C32
yep.

I have the same prob, I'm getting a Lighting IC pump sometime nex week. You should try search under 1fastc32 ad * Ic pump* there is a guy who works as a manager at FORD DEALERSHIP, I order 1 thr him at a very Low price/w connector. I'm installin myself so that would save me some bucks.