C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Resonator is removed and....

Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
If someone would like to let me borrow a DB meter, I'll be more than happy to do it..
Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Almost a Member!

C55 AMG
Quick question- Will doing this mod affect the factory warranty or will it fail inspection (I live in New Jersey, if that is a factor)?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
ur car sounds grate,

Question for the Exhaust gurus:

will this not reduce the back pressure??? creating problems?
i went to this exhaust place appreately one of the best and the guys told me that i should not do this because it will reduce the back pressure in the care causing it damage and making it had on the engine, because the engine requires back pressure????
i dont know if this is true or not????
Old 06-28-2007, 01:39 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Harry Madan
ur car sounds grate,

Question for the Exhaust gurus:

will this not reduce the back pressure??? creating problems?
i went to this exhaust place appreately one of the best and the guys told me that i should not do this because it will reduce the back pressure in the care causing it damage and making it had on the engine, because the engine requires back pressure????
i dont know if this is true or not????
the resonator does not creat any back pressure. if any they are not detectable. The sole purpose for the resonator is to reduce the exhaust noise.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:28 AM

10' GLK
Resonator does produce back pressure with the crest and bumps, sometimes its perforated. The crest/bumps or perforated holes inside the resonator act as speed bump on the road which cancel out /slow down the sound waves. Hence, quiet down the exhaust note.

Removing the resonator will have negative effect on the exhaust valves, since the exhaust valves need back pressure to assist it's open and close motion. However, if you retain the rear most muffler, most of the back pressure is still there. Your mechanic is right in general. But most people do not care about the minimal ill effect on cars to achieve the personal preference with cars.

Happy modding
Old 06-28-2007, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by razer8724
Quick question- Will doing this mod affect the factory warranty or will it fail inspection (I live in New Jersey, if that is a factor)?
You are not removing cats so i don't see why you will fail the emission inspection. Where I live, we don't have emission law

It will probably only void your resonator / exhaust warrenty.. but really.. what can go wrong?? Make sure you take your car to a good exhaust work shop.

AS for the resonator, I highly doubt that theres any ill effects by removing it. Stock resonator is basically a straight pipe with thick outer layer to tone down the exhaust sound.. By replacing that with a straight pipe will not reduce the back pressure.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bwco
Resonator does produce back pressure with the crest and bumps, sometimes its perforated. The crest/bumps or perforated holes inside the resonator act as speed bump on the road which cancel out /slow down the sound waves. Hence, quiet down the exhaust note.

Removing the resonator will have negative effect on the exhaust valves, since the exhaust valves need back pressure to assist it's open and close motion. However, if you retain the rear most muffler, most of the back pressure is still there. Your mechanic is right in general. But most people do not care about the minimal ill effect on cars to achieve the personal preference with cars.

Happy modding
this is what i had been told, is why i did not remove my resonator. thx for the conformation.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:16 PM

02 C32 AMG sold!
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
I hope you made a u-turn and picked up your camera?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
I know this thread talks about the C55 / C32 resonator,
but in the case of the C-Class Coupé (both C230K & C320 versions), Mercedes-Benz sold the car without resonator (sport package) and with resonator (non-sport package). Everything else in the exhaust system was exactly the same, and there is no difference or loss in performance. Only advantage on the resonator-less versions: less weight & more growly sound.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by neihouma
I hope you made a u-turn and picked up your camera?

opps.. lol

For C32 owners.. Why is exhaust back pressure matter for you anyway?
Last time when I had cars with a forced induction engine(I've had Rx7, Supra, Audi), I tired to get rid of back pressure much as i can to gain HP...

I've been told that having much less back pressure can do some ill effects on N/A cars though..Removing resonator itself won't do no harm... period...

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 06-28-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
opps.. lol

Last time when I had cars with a forced induction engine(I've had Rx7, Supra, Audi), I tired to get rid of back pressure much as i can to gain HP...

I've been told that having much less back pressure can do some ill effects on N/A cars though..Removing resonator itself won't do no harm... period...
yup.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Almost a Member!

C55 AMG
Thinking about doing this mod sometime this weekend. I work at an engineering firm so we have very accurate decibel and sound meters..i'll post up the readings before and after
Old 06-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Almost a Member!

03 C32
Originally Posted by razer8724
Thinking about doing this mod sometime this weekend. I work at an engineering firm so we have very accurate decibel and sound meters..i'll post up the readings before and after
Keep us posted about the decibel & sound meters, I'm interested to hear what the difference is. Having originally owned an Integra type-R, which was pretty ricey-sounding, I'm worried that removing the resonator will maybe make it too loud for my liking, as i have been enjoying the smooth, quiet ride that MB has over an ITR. However, i wouldn't mind it being a just a little bit louder.

Last edited by Rudoubles; 06-29-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by Rudoubles
Keep us posted about the decibel & sound meters, I'm interested to hear what the difference is. Having originally owned an Integra type-R, which was pretty ricey-sounding, I'm worried that removing the resonator will maybe make it too loud for my liking, as i have been enjoying the smooth, quiet ride that MB has over an ITR. However, i wouldn't mind it being a just a little bit louder.
You will not hear it while cruising. Its only during acceleration. Search on the forums. I dont think I have seen one bad comment on the res delete for the C32. It gives it the sound it should have had. Throatier, but not obnoxious like the G35. I was worried about the same thing, and I am glad I did it. Its not going to be anywhere near the ITR sound...People tell me all the time how good the car sounds when I pull up.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 PM

C55 AMG
you guys are almost selling me to get it dun!!

i just dont want it to sound like a muscle car. em i far away from that?? or at high rpm i should still get the V8 beast rar?

lets get some more reviews...

thanks
-blackroof
Old 06-29-2007, 01:32 PM

Clk 430
Originally Posted by bwco
Removing the resonator will have negative effect on the exhaust valves, since the exhaust valves need back pressure to assist it's open and close motion.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:46 PM

opps.. lol

back pressure is ur torque, if u remove all back pressure u will loose torque. if u look at a good exhaust system for the benz, for example Brabus or Carlsson or even Lorinser they all keep the resonator and the cats, just make them a little more easy flowing so u have more sound, but they keep the back pressure with in the limits.

just like someone has told u before...
Removing the resonator will have negative effect on the exhaust valves, since the exhaust valves need back pressure to assist it's open and close motion.
if u do the research u will find that this is true, how ever just removing the resonator may not have a strong enough effect on the back pressure to make a difference, but non the less it will make a difference.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
My gawd.. .Honda engine sounds like **** when u have open exhaust.. no offense but it is true.. .

It doesn't sound anything like a Muscle car V8.. That was my main concern but I'm very happy with the result.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 E55, W204 C350, '04 Carrera C4S, '02 ML55 (Wife's)
Smile first gear run video?

Quicktwinturbo I'm Defiantly going to do it and if there is any resonance I’ll just put it back.

I doubt the negative effects would be that significant (back pressure issue).

Your videos are great but I’d love to hear the car run through first to hear the higher rpm sound. Do you have a video of you accelerating though first gear? If not would you mind making one? I can only bribe you with Kona Coffee, macadamia nut chocolates, or something from Hawaii…..

Thanks
Old 06-29-2007, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Ok guys.. Finally did it!!! Sound of my C32 with the C55 exhaust minus resonator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEzf78tq5oI
Old 06-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
As stated in an earlier post, it will not nessesarily be louder. At freeway speed, the sound seems to be the same as with the resonator. The only thing that really seems different is the acceleration sound, especially between 3000 and 3500 rpm. Sounds more like a performance oriented growl.

My wife took my car the other day (yes, it was the first time I actually heard someone else drive my car away) and the sound of the car easing down the street and around the corner was sweet. As stated many times about the resonator delete: It was not loud, just had a low growl.

I would delete my resonator again in a New York minute.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by VaderSS
Quicktwinturbo I'm Defiantly going to do it and if there is any resonance I’ll just put it back.

I doubt the negative effects would be that significant (back pressure issue).

Your videos are great but I’d love to hear the car run through first to hear the higher rpm sound. Do you have a video of you accelerating though first gear? If not would you mind making one? I can only bribe you with Kona Coffee, macadamia nut chocolates, or something from Hawaii…..

Thanks
Kona coffee?? Sweeet!!
I'll try to make another video from inside.. I'm not sure if you'll be able to hear the difference through my digi cam video though.. as u can tell, it suxs.. hehe

--------
heres a video of other C55 owner with reasonator mods
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=AMGperformance

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 06-29-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 E55, W204 C350, '04 Carrera C4S, '02 ML55 (Wife's)
Quicktwinturbo… Sounds sweet… but hard to tell.. sounds like mine is now, well sort of? Would love to hear it from the outside, because I’ll be like you driving from the inside.

A local shop quoted me only $50!!! So I’ll try it next week.

Otherwise, guess the money for the headers will be going to an ‘Eisenmann Sport Exhaust’ when there available

PM me with a UPS store address or where you would like to have the Kona sent.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:08 AM

C55 AMG
Kona coffee?? Sweeet!!
I'll try to make another video from inside.. I'm not sure if you'll be able to hear the difference through my digi cam video though.. as u can tell, it suxs.. hehe

--------
heres a video of other C55 owner with reasonator mods
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=AMGperformance
i noticed on that video the comments section he claims to get 0-60 4.3 4.4 with g tech? whats g tech.. by the way?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Gtech is a device that measure your 0-60, 1/4 mile, and horsepower.
Sometime it's accurate and but most of time it's highly inaccurate.
http://www.gtechpro.com/

From inside, yes.. it does sounds almost same. You will notice much more deeper sound at low RPM.. But once you pass 3500rpm, it sounds about same..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Resonator is removed and....