My track day at Mosport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
My track day at Mosport

Well, I took my C55 to another track day earlier last week. This time I went to a track called Mosport, which I've never been to before. This track is much more challenging than the previous track I went to (Shannonville) because it is longer, has a lot of elevation changes, and the speeds are much higher (which means more dangerous if you make a mistake). There are also a lot of walls you can smash into if you spin the car.

This time, I had an instructor beside me the whole time as part of a performance driving school. This was very useful, as he gave very helpful pointers about the racing line, and braking zones. Helmuts were mandatory and they required a tech inspection before the event (although they never actually checked during the day).

The majority of cars there were Porsche's, mostly 911's (old and new, and even some race cars). A lot of them were serious track junkies, with R-compound tires.

Here is a video that my buddy in his Cayman S shot while following me in my C55. I was just coming out from the pits, so I was "taking it easy" on a warm-up lap, getting the tires' temperatures back up. That's why I didn't hit the apexes as tight as I should have. The rules were that you should let a clearly faster car pass you on the straights by signaling them and letting up on the gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnWhF6Dbzcg

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 06-25-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And here is a pic of me closing in on black 997 C2S which I eventually passed on the subsequent straight.

Don't get me wrong.....there is no way a C55 should be faster than a 997 C2S on a track given equal drivers. He has tracked before, but never on this particular track, which is the same situation as me.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
That track looks nice! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Wow. What a beautiful, flowing track! Seems like a great course to teach momentum driving. It much have been a lot of fun out there. Too bad the walls are SO CLOSE throughout the track!

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 06-25-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Sounds like lots of fun!

Ditto on the track. It looks really nice. Congrats.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
That video looks great! You are one fortunate man. You're right about the C55 vs. 997 speed, but it looked nice to see you catch the Porsches in the video. Please continue to post the track goodies.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ScottW911
That video looks great! You are one fortunate man. You're right about the C55 vs. 997 speed, but it looked nice to see you catch the Porsches in the video. Please continue to post the track goodies.
You learn alot about the importance of a good, and somewhat adventurous, driver. Some folks are just out there to tool around, and that's fine as long as they give point-bys. I've passed a Ferrari Testarossa, Corvettes, and more 911s than I can count; and in EVERY case it was because the driver was a "cruiser."

I'm getting to the point where I want to start timing my laps since that's the ONLY way to gauge improvement. Unfortunately, most sponsored HPDEs forbid timing so you need to be sneaky. The alternative is to go to Time Attacks; or God forbid, get a racing license and a proper race car!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:53 PM
OPM

Mosport is indeed a great track. Eastern Canada has some awesome tracks. Speaking of which, is anybody going to join me at Calabogie this weekend? I’ll be taking my absolutely stock C55 with fewer than 8K miles. I couldn’t even get brake pads on time. So I’ll be cruising.

As for the walls, they only look intimidating. At Mosport they are actually very well positioned giving a driver plenty of runoff space. There are a few spots where if you put a wheel down and try to correct too soon you could sling shoot across the track into a wall, but generally the track is well built. If those make you feel claustrophobic try WG. Turn 4 prior to back straight always gives me heebi-geebies, even though I know there is no way I can hit it. But it feels like driving trough jail at 100mph. And of course turn 6 is a real danger. But none of that is as bad as the walls between 9 and 10. It’s combination of the feeling at turn 4 with real danger of turn 6. If you loose it there (and lots of drivers do) you’ll be bouncing between those walls like in an arcade game.

PCV who did you go with? I know PCA was there at the beginning of the month.

Fifth, you can time yourself using a video camera. Any device that provides info retrospectively is allowed, but live feed devices are prohibited. The rule was initiated by the insurance companies not HPDE organizers.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
what kind of tires are using for track events?

thanks for the vids!! I enjoyed it
Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The group I was on the track with was the "novice" group, although there is quite a bit of heterogeneity in the group with regards to experience. My buddy in the Cayman S goes tracking very regularly and knows this track very well. Even he felt the "advanced" group was too fast for him, so he went out with the "novice" group. In fact, most of the people I was on the track with were quite experienced and had faster cars.

In the novice group, everybody had an instructor beside them at all times. I don't think people there were "cruising" per say. Some people just need more time to get used to driving fast on a track, especially if you don't know the track. In the classroom, everyone was interested in learning to go around the track faster.

Some 911 owners (stock 997's) came up to me in between lapping sessions and inquired about my car. Like some M3 owners I went with last time, they were impressed (or surprised) about the pace of the C55 around corners.

My instructor was impressed with the C55 too, as he didn't expect this 4 door family sedan to go at the pace we did by the afternoon, when I had learned the track. Again, more than one person made comments about my infant/toddler car seats in the back seat.

This is my third time I've taken my C55 to a track, and I think I'm getting hooked. The car is incredibly easy to drive fast, and it handles a lot better than most people think. But ultimately, driving technique is what matters the most, IMO.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OPM
Mosport is indeed a great track. Eastern Canada has some awesome tracks. Speaking of which, is anybody going to join me at Calabogie this weekend? I’ll be taking my absolutely stock C55 with fewer than 8K miles. I couldn’t even get brake pads on time. So I’ll be cruising.

PCV who did you go with? I know PCA was there at the beginning of the month.
OPM, it sound like you're an experienced track guy. Have you tracked your new C55 before? My stock brake pads did very well at Mosport. I didn't experience any fade. Although Mosport is fun, the corners are not as tight as Shannonville, and as such, it is far easier on the brakes and tires.

Last week, I went to Mosport as part of a performance driving school called BRG88.

Edit: Oh wait, are you AWDman's friend with the C55 who is just awesomely fast???

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 06-25-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
what kind of tires are using for track events?

thanks for the vids!! I enjoyed it
My tires are the only thing on my car which are not "stock". I recently upgraded to Michelin PS2's.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
This is my third time I've taken my C55 to a track, and I think I'm getting hooked. The car is incredibly easy to drive fast, and it handles a lot better than most people think. But ultimately, driving technique is what matters the most, IMO.
Buy the Skip Barber book ("Driving Faster"). After you've had a few track days, this book really lets you understand what's going on, and how you can really use physics.

I also "play" with a driving sim program called "GTR2" that is phenomenal. If you have a decent set of PC controls (wheel and pedals) you can actually learn and experience (without the full motion sensation) things like understeer, oversteer, and trail braking / lift throttle oversteer. Best thing is that it is a game for the PC and you can download a BUNCH of great tracks free. It comes with Euro tracks, but I do all my virtual driving on US tracks I've downloaded including VIR, Watkins Glen, Sears Point (Infineon), Laguna Seca, Barber and Road America.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 PM
OPM

I do not know about an “experienced”, but a “track guy” for sure. I agree with you that Mosport allows for ample opportunity to cool down the brakes - at least at HPDE speeds. Plus, there are many different braking techniques. I used to kill race pads in one event, and although I have not done that in years, I am still working on my braking technique.

No. Actually I fought very hard to avoid taking C55 to a track. For that I have a dedicated S4. But I’ve been upgrading it (forever) and simply could not finish things on time. Until last Friday I held some hope of S4 being ready, but it is not going to happen. Although my C55 is also black, I am not the guy you are thinking of. Wait, I am lying. I took C55 to a winter driving school, but I am still not that guy.

BRG88 sounds like a Mexican gang. I know an instructor who went with PCA early this month. That’s why I was asking.

I think Fifth meant to say “Going Faster”. And yes it’s a must have.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
good show PC Valkyrie.

OPM...l'll get to Calabogie next year or slim chance later this year. have fun this weekend!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yup, bought and read "Going Faster" already this past winter. Excellent book. It really gives a head start on the theory before you go onto the track with an instructor. In fact, the instructor adds little more other than the proper racing line and braking zones for the particular track you are on.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:00 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

you guys make me laugh sooo hard, it's truly pathetic. Driving a benz on the track is a waste of time other than being a poser and pretending to play race car driver. Go rent a spec racer, or real cheap race car and start in a real setting if you have any talent or real interest. hahahahhahaha. and yes I own multiple race cars, driving schools, races, blah..
Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 AM

99 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by spr
you guys make me laugh sooo hard, it's truly pathetic. Driving a benz on the track is a waste of time other than being a poser and pretending to play race car driver. Go rent a spec racer, or real cheap race car and start in a real setting if you have any talent or real interest. hahahahhahaha. and yes I own multiple race cars, driving schools, races, blah..
I can somewhat agree with what you're getting at, but there's something about the car that you drove from home to the office and the grocery store, and putting it around a racetrack along side other real racecars. I don't know. I've been in racecars as well, but I still like to take the daily on the track.

Last edited by Lensolo; 06-26-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:38 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah I was going to delete it as it was harsh but if what you want is to be a better driver- there is a correct path to doing it
Old 06-26-2007, 01:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice footage. Looks like an easy track to drive, but fun. SPR, I disagree with you on your statement. Are you implying that driving a BMW is a waste of time, or an Audi, or Porsche, etc? and that only those cars dedicated to racing that are not street legal are the only form of real racing? Is a Lambo up to snuff? Well if you look at one of the recent auto mags, Sport Compact Car - August 2007, you will see a variety of cars tested at Willow Springs raceway. 911 turbo, Noble M12, Lotus Exige, Williams F1 and others. I ran consistant 1:36's all day long in my C32 with a best time of 135.2, and there was still work to be done on my car. Looking at the mag's test results, the 911 ran a 1:40 and the Noble ran a 1:36.7. Spec racers are slower than many high performance street cars. How about the Porsche Cup race series, a slightly modified street car. I guess all the guys in the BMW CCA race series are all posers according to you? Ever drive an Audi S4 TT at the track? Many of these "street" cars are running low 1:30's at Willow Springs. Look up the NASA website and see the results pages of various tracks across the country. You will be suprised at what street cars can do at the track. I as well enjoy driving a variety of vehicles at racetrack including open wheel F2000, Tag Karts, and Southwest tour cars. But I have to say that the "street" cars are the most fun to drive because they require more effort and skill to drive at their limit and to drive fast, and the best part is passing a modified race car in a Benz. Remember that although the C32 has its inherent chassis problems, a modified one puts out over 420 HP, 0-60 in under 4.5sec and gives most cars a run for their money. Racing your street car is the least expensive way to experience motorsports for a couple hundred dollars per day vs. the upkeep or rental of a dedicated race car as you refer to which will cost over one thousand and beyond to drive per day, not including the cost of an additional race car. Everyone has their preference for driving events and vehicles. AutoX, Drag, Road course, etc. It's all good!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by spr
I'm just curious...

what kind of race cars do you own?

I totally disagree with you btw.. It's for pure fun.. I don't see why this is pathetic in your book.. I'm sure hes not trying to be a next F-1 driver.. I don't see why its patheitc to drive a benz on the track..

Please.. do explain..
Old 06-26-2007, 05:09 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

A benz on the track is a pig on roller skates. A spec racer is wayyy faster than the times you post if it's competently set up. Yes I have driven lambos and countless other exotics, and yes they have been driven on the track big deal, It's still a street car, plus lambos aren't all that, if you're impressed by that then there you go. Cup cars are not street cars even their tubs are different. I am not going to waste the time to tell you how.

The point is that any real race car even a cheap one will outperform a street car any day. Have fun playing race car driver

I p'md you what I own although I don't see why I even bothered.

Last edited by spr; 06-26-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
dunno but i'm having a ton of fun playing race car driver in my pig.....and i don't give a rat's a$$ about what other people think, or think i should be driving.

airing your feelings was not particularly helpful spr (it's all old news) but thanks anyway.

awdman@racingpigs.com
Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by spr
A benz on the track is a pig on roller skates. A spec racer is wayyy faster than the times you post if it's competently set up. Yes I have driven lambos and countless other exotics, and yes they have been driven on the track big deal, It's still a street car, plus lambos aren't all that, if you're impressed by that then there you go. Cup cars are not street cars even their tubs are different. I am not going to waste the time to tell you how.

The point is that any real race car even a cheap one will outperform a street car any day. Have fun playing race car driver

So you are saying, street cars cannot out-perform a cheap race car?? LOL
I have couple friends races in Rolex Grand AM series and they think racing street cars on the track is fun.

Hell, One of my buddy drove his Mk4 supra in one lap and won 3rd place overall..and i'm sure u know how heavy supras are...

You just sounds very arrogant..PC is not trying to be a racecar driver or pertend to be one.. Hes just out there having fun with his car.. Don't see why you gotta be against that.

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 06-26-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by spr

1. Driving a street car improves your skills behind the wheel of a car you drive every day. The ultra-high limits of race tires really do not translate to street driving.

2. Spec or formula race cares are NOT necessarily more capable than a street car (if "capable" means lap times0. They're built to a spec or formula and are designed to be equal to each other. A C32/C55 with good tires will outrun a spec Miata or spec Focus in anything other than autocross. Race cars are made for safe, fender-to-fender racing.

3. We should ALL drive Toyota Camrys if we don't take the opportunity to legally use the capabilities that we've paid for. Nobody needs 13" vented brake rotors, and 350HP for any legal road use.

4. Today's off-the-showroom floor sports coupes and sedans would outrun most purpose-built racers of the 1960s and 1970s. Better tires, better brakes. A stock Z06 would have easily won LeMans in the 1960s.

Lastly, I'd drive my Mom's Mercury Sable on-track, and it would still be more fun than just about anything else I could do with my time. Nobody's pretending to be a "real" race driver.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 06-26-2007 at 02:50 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My track day at Mosport