ATF - fluid lost when replacing the radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 '02 silver 70K
ATF - fluid lost when replacing the radiator

1. Will have the C32 2002 Valeo radiator replaced with a Behr unit
2. want to save the dumped ATF from the radiator to do the transmission fluid test. Is this amount enough? How much do I need for the test?
3. How/where is the technician going to add the amount of fluid after installing the new Behr radiator? The shop tells me they have a dipstick.... but the ATF cooler sits much higher then the transmission (filled with air) - how can that be done correctly?
4. I will have the old Valeo radiator tested to find out whether it leaks or not (peace of mind)
5. Regardless of the results I will have the AT flushed soon thereafter
6. I replaced the broken IC pump with ok results

I will monitor the Coolant level to ensure the IC unit is not leaking; wait and see. Total effort/cost sure beats the cost and trouble of getting a new transmission plus all the other stuff. Thanks much for the many alerts regarding the subject.

Any helpful thoughts will be appreciated
Old 07-11-2007, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 '02 silver 70K
Behr radiator installation

A new Behr radiator #61515 was installed today (#61515 stamped in on top, same location as the Valeo label, use a flashlite. Behr label can be seen on one side of the new radiator. I saw it, before the installation).
Cost:
- $220.00 radiator (plus tax)
- 218.00 labor

Euro shop (no C32 experience other than my brakejob, but C-class experienced); it took them 4 hours...., because they didn't realize it's different from the C-class; the bumper had to come off to get to the lower external radiator, which had to be moved out of the way, before the radiator could be lifted out. Anyway, it's back together.

They saved enough transmission oil (from the AT cooler) for the test. I'll have that done at an independent LAB ASAP. I kept the Valeo radiator - will test it with pressureized water. If both tests are negative - my assumption is, the transmission is clear of coolant - our peace of mind. The remaining unknown is the Intercooler - if there should be ANY coolant loss in the future; hmmm IC may have to be replaced....

AT fluid will be changed soon, regardless of the tests outcome.