C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

here we go again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
here we go again

So I came back from BART, only to find out that my parked C32 refused to start up. A couple of turns of the key and all I heard was "chug, chug .....", then nothing. I can turn on the headlights, play with the radio, operate everything electronically. I attempted to jumpstart but that didn't work either.

Anyone has any idea what the problem maybe? Perhaps a faulty ignition switch?

Does anyone also know if Towing and MB Roadside Assistance are covered under MB's Extended Limited Warranty?

TIA.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:33 AM

2003 C32
sounds similar to what happened to me when the fuel pump died, but i was driving out of my parking garage. Engine died then wouldn't start back up.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
These days a weak battery can behave like that. Before spending any money, try a jump start.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG Silver Bullet
Exclamation check the fuse for the ignition coil

try the coil fuse!!! sometimes blows out>>> ???

IT HAPPENED TO ME ONCE ...

GOOD LUCK
Old 07-27-2007, 11:34 AM

C32
Originally Posted by MarioC55
try the coil fuse!!! sometimes blows out>>> ???

IT HAPPENED TO ME ONCE ...

GOOD LUCK
Hopefully this is it. I will find out soon enough.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM

'10 GLK 350 Capri Blue/Black
This would be a great opportunity to check your battery's voltage using the information in AMG-Jerry's post about the heater display.

But my car did the same thing with a weak battery - all of the accessories worked, it just wouldn't turn over. MB roadside assistance fixed it for $150.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
It's not the ignition switch... If your switch went bad the key won't even turn. Sounds like the CPS (Crankshaft position sensor). Had to change that out from both of my cars (C320 and ML320). Usually if the CPS goes bad you can wait about 30 minutes, let the car cool down, then restart the car. But if it's completely fried you won't be able to and you'll need to replace it. Alternator is a possibility too.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 PM

C32
It's not a low charged battery because practically everything can be operated, including the high beams. MB Roadside checked again and he immediately said it has nothing to do with the battery. Fuses checked out ok.

So, it was towed to my local dealer this morning at about 11 am and I was told it has to stay over the weekend. Brilliant! Why didn't I just tow it there Monday morning instead?

Since this was bought new the Extended Limited Warranty is different from the CPO's version. According to Corporate if the part is covered then I don't have to pay a dime, contrary to what my SA said.

Last edited by ultraseven; 07-27-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
most likely CPS. common problem on MB.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:26 AM

C32
So here we go, yet AGAIN. The fuel pump was determined to be faulty and was replaced, and just tonight the car would not start again. The engine would crank but nothing else happened.

So is this going to be a 2 month ritual? I certainly hope not.

OK, this is my first and LAST German car. I've had enough of this nonsense.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by ultraseven
So here we go, yet AGAIN. The fuel pump was determined to be faulty and was replaced, and just tonight the car would not start again. The engine would crank but nothing else happened.

So is this going to be a 2 month ritual? I certainly hope not.

OK, this is my first and LAST German car. I've had enough of this nonsense.
I wouldn't base your future decisions about German cars on your C32. I have owned a few German cars and I have to say my old C32 had more problems than all of the other cars combined.

Also you have a 2002 I assume, which is the first year with the most problems. Many of the C32 problems were ironed out in later years and on the C55.. removing the troublesome SC to go to an NA motor is one, different suspension, etc, etc..

FYI, I also had my CPS go out and the car wouldn't start for like 20 minutes.. I was at the carwash.. stuck in the lane.. Talk about embarrassing!! Finally started and took it straight to the dealer..

I could give you a long long list of stuff that went wrong on my car.. If you think your couple of issues is bad you should read up on others problems that are much worse. (Leaking radiator lines into the tranny)

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 AM

C32
Originally Posted by amgmark
I wouldn't base your future decisions about German cars on your C32. I have owned a few German cars and I have to say my old C32 had more problems than all of the other cars combined.

Also you have a 2002 I assume, which is the first year with the most problems. Many of the C32 problems were ironed out in later years and on the C55.. removing the troublesome SC to go to an NA motor is one, different suspension, etc, etc..

FYI, I also had my CPS go out and the car wouldn't start for like 20 minutes.. I was at the carwash.. stuck in the lane.. Talk about embarrassing!! Finally started and took it straight to the dealer..

I could give you a long long list of stuff that went wrong on my car.. If you think your couple of issues is bad you should read up on others problems that are much worse. (Leaking radiator lines into the tranny)

Good luck!
Mine is an 04, so a lot of problems were reportedly have ironed out. My neighbor has an 03 E320 and it too has a laundry list of problems, and not to mention my neighbor down the street had to tow her 05 745i just about a month ago. It seems Germans have a culture of breaking down their cars, as if it's some sort of joke.

The only German thing other than sauerkraut that I can trust is a Braun shaver. I've had it for about 15 years and it still runs as if it's brand new. I think the new ones are made in China, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 PM
acm
Almost a Member!

'02 C32 AMG
I had a similar problem and it was the CPS for me as well. Fortunately after I waited 20 min or so, it finally did crank and start up.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
where is the CPS and how hard is it to replace
Old 09-20-2007, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by ultraseven
Mine is an 04, so a lot of problems were reportedly have ironed out. My neighbor has an 03 E320 and it too has a laundry list of problems, and not to mention my neighbor down the street had to tow her 05 745i just about a month ago. It seems Germans have a culture of breaking down their cars, as if it's some sort of joke.

The only German thing other than sauerkraut that I can trust is a Braun shaver. I've had it for about 15 years and it still runs as if it's brand new. I think the new ones are made in China, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Well.. Chrysler pretty much screwed MB.. hopefully many of the quality issues won't be a problem in the future..

We live in an evolving world of technology and it seems that the rush to integrate these new technologies into cars, and be the first to do so, causes lower quality and performance issues down the road.. IMO

I don't think any car manufacturer has really stood above all the others, except maybe Lexus.. but I would rather go to the shop a couple times a year than drive a lexus.. I am just not that fond of them, although the new IS isn't too bad looking.

When my CPS went out I was ready to sell the car.. I was so pissed to be stuck looking like an idiot at the carwash. I had just gotten the car back the day before after it was gone a week for another issue.. I think that was the most pissed I have ever been at any point with any car.. Luckily I didn't have any other major problems besides the heated seat going out.

Recently sold the car running perfect with 105k miles and no major issues in at least 15k miles. Finally got all the **** fixed and sold it.. LOL.. oh well.. My new 335i kicks ***.. and no problems besides the stupid gas tank latch breaking ever time I turn up my music, that that is my own fault for having two 12's in a sealed trunk.. LOL

We have also had our X3 for almost 3 years now. The only problem we have ever had was some of the trim deteriorating, and the pillar material looking a little screwed up after 2 years.. BMW fixed it without question.. I have been very happy with the car and might have to buy it when the lease is up in a few months. 2005 with only 16k miles and we are way under the 3yr. 30k mile allowance. I guess we could go on a long road trip across country.. LOL..
Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Go to the

diy section on benzworld.org w210 forum,the cps procedure will be very close to the same on your 32.autohausaz.com has the part,easy job.

"GOT CODES?"
trekman,very nice mods!

Last edited by ohlord; 09-20-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:30 PM

C32
It's not the CPS, but the fuel pump. Apparently a valve will break and the tank will lose pressure so the engine isn't getting any fuel. Will you believe this explanation? Well, that's what was written on my last work order and I'm sure it's the same problem again.

Oh well, this is what extended warranty is for. MB - gone.