Sometimes complaining backfires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Sometimes complaining backfires.

MB recently DOWNSIZED the brakes on the SLK55 because owners were complaining about the squealing. Perhaps these people should have been given the keys to an SLK 350?

From AMG directly:

The background is very straightforward. The original SLK55 AMG brakes (perforated / compound front rotors etc.) generated too much brake noise for some owners which appeared in both our surveys and at our dealerships service departments.

We took the step to replace the braking system with that of the C55 AMG, a system of similar stopping power with much quieter operation.
This change was made concurrently to the production of our brochures / images and we were not able to make this change.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 08-23-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I take pride in the fact that AMG went with "C55" brakes, which we all know are also "C32" brakes.

So to all the 2007 SLK55 buyers out there, "Welcome to 2002!!!"

Let's do a group swap with the older SLK55 owners. We take their "noisy" 6 piston big brakes and they can have the 4 piston C32/C55 "quiet" brakes!

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 08-23-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
MB recently DOWNSIZED the brakes on the SLK55 because owners were complaining about the squealing. Perhaps these people should have been given the keys to an SLK 350?

From AMG directly:

The background is very straightforward. The original SLK55 AMG brakes (perforated / compound front rotors etc.) generated too much brake noise for some owners which appeared in both our surveys and at our dealerships service departments.

We took the step to replace the braking system with that of the C55 AMG, a system of similar stopping power with much quieter operation.
This change was made concurrently to the production of our brochures / images and we were not able to make this change.
Same thing happened to the 1992 500E. MB stopped using the Aluminum Brembo 4 piston brakes because they made to much noise and went back to the older and less powerful SL500/SL600 brakes.

It should be a per case downgrade done in the service drive not something all cars get in production. With that downgrade I would never buy an SLK55. So now to make the car stop you have to buy the P30 package? I was not a fan of the brakes on my C32 and I hate to see them on a car as nice as the SLK55.

Equal stopping power. HA thats a joke.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Same thing happened to the 1992 500E. MB stopped using the Aluminum Brembo 4 piston brakes because they made to much noise and went back to the older and less powerful SL500/SL600 brakes.

It should be a per case downgrade done in the service drive not something all cars get in production. With that downgrade I would never buy an SLK55. So now to make the car stop you have to buy the P30 package? I was not a fan of the brakes on my C32 and I hate to see them on a car as nice as the SLK55.

Equal stopping power. HA thats a joke.

Not "equal" just "similar." But more importantly, "quieter." Because that's what AMG is all about! Quiet, comfort, soft, soothing....
Old 08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Well keep in mind it's a Benz first...

Not all of AMG buyers are performance oriented entusiasts. Some are gents with fat check books, that buy the most expensive model...just because!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
I hope it is still an option to have the larger brakes. As in 030 package.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
It was the same thing with the SLR brakes, owners were complaining about squealing. It really bothers me when people buy things just because they have the money, however don't know much about it.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW

Not all of AMG buyers are performance oriented entusiasts. Some are gents with fat check books, that buy the most expensive model...just because!
Well, they'll win some buyers and lose some buyers. They should find a way to keep them all happy.

It is ridiculous to have 6 piston calipers on 14" rotors, and 600 hp just for going to the train station or the country club.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
It looks like the SLK55 standard brakes are the ones that were downgraded. They would be crazy to downgrade the 030 brakes.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW

What exactly is a benz first?

I agree not all AMG buyers are looking for performance but the second you cater to their desires you have destroyed the name.

And just when I thought AMG was getting back on the ball.

Sad part is that german spec cars still get the big brakes but we lame Americans apparently only want to toodle around in our amg's and look nice.

Read the posts made by SteveNL regarding his C32 brakes on his diesel wagon. He yanked them off because they could not slow his car from 120 mph a few times without going up in smoke with terminal fade.

The C32 brakes dont belong on that SLK in any country IMHO.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
What exactly is a benz first?

I agree not all AMG buyers are looking for performance but the second you cater to their desires you have destroyed the name.

And just when I thought AMG was getting back on the ball.

Sad part is that german spec cars still get the big brakes but we lame Americans apparently only want to toodle around in our amg's and look nice.

Read the posts made by SteveNL regarding his C32 brakes on his diesel wagon. He yanked them off because they could not slow his car from 120 mph a few times without going up in smoke with terminal fade.

The C32 brakes dont belong on that SLK in any country IMHO.
We've always differed on the quality of C32 brakes. Brakes are nothing but rotors and pads and hydraulic devices the press the pads against the rotors. C32 brakes have always served me well on the street and on the track. Mine have never smoked (which would be a pad problem anyway) and never faded (which would be an overheating pad problem anyway), and have been complemented by instructors who know about these things..

A 2008 SLK55 should have 2008 AMG brakes. Plain & simple. Nothing wrong with C32 brakes, but they are 5 years older and less than is offered on European SLK55s.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 PM

'07 E63; 05 C55 gone; '02 C32 gone;1996 SL320;1978 280CE Gone
Last year two guys from Virginia came to Heartland Park in August for a BMW DE. They wanted to learn the track for the SCCA runoffs in Sept. Their "coach" was flying in the next day. They were driving a rental car (Infinity) and not learning the course. They rode in my car with one of my son's driving, and when they got out they both commented on how fast the brakes brought the speed down. Of course, not knowing much about Mercedes, they were amazed at the brakes. I'm not sure the SLK 55 owners are losing anything by the change.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
those owners deserves a