C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

5.5 AMG badge idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
I'm thinking I will create a paypal email just for this and make a webpage link for a check out. I am going to calculate where the price will be tomorrow when I'm back at my work desk.
I think it is going to be tough to get it to $20 because of the dual molds, air ems shipping, and the cost of the samples sent. I paid almost $150 from MB to get three of the 6.3's for duplication and another $100 in EMS back and forth for the test piece
I think we're going to get it closer to mid 20's/upper 20's. We could have done these cheaper but I thought we were aiming towards OEM specs which involves chrome electroplating and painting of the black. Normally, a company wouldn't even run something this intricate under an MOQ of 2000. I'm working to get these as cheap as possible while still retaining the OEM look, feel, and construction.
Shipping should be pretty cheap because I can have someone at my work package these up instead of standing around and send them USPS priority mail.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:29 AM

W208 CLK55K, GTR, RS5
Awesome! YOU ARE THE MAN!
Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 AM

C55 AMG
Another idea is I could purchase extra ones of these to get them to a target price and then try to sell them on 6speed or hang on to them for future 55 owners but I'm not really sure how much of a difference it's going to make unless I buy a ton of them.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:31 PM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
hah you guys are great. i have the V8 badgme on my C43 fenders, i rationalized that since the guys with the amg s/c motors say v8 kompressor, why cant my non-komp car say v8.....

however, 4.3 AMG is starting to sound good... im sure a bunch of people from the C43 thread would enjoy them as well, a future possibility perhaps?
Old 05-17-2008, 06:34 PM

C55 AMG
SeeKlasse- if you can get a bunch of people in, they will probably do them but it wouldn't be right away. I do not want to push my luck on too many of these side projects of low runs. That being said, it probably wouldn't be too big of deal because they have the specs already and a base drawn.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:35 AM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
How about this for the 3.2 guys?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:17 AM

C55 AMG
You rock!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
STOP!!

Keep your cars from being so cluttered with crap. There are better things to do with your E55, C32 or whatever MB you own. Don’t support non-dealer add-ons that will take away from your MB ride!

This type of thing is why our America is becoming like so many other countries? What’s next for us? Our AMG cars made next to Rolex watches in China? I’m not faulting China they make some of the best products and reproductions in the world and the people are worlderful and smart, but Mercedes-Benz AMG's are produced in Germany.

Sorry guys, but this is how I feel about coping someone else’s artwork or designs. Remember, it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Next thing you know?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Esh

E55
Originally Posted by Dawson AMG
Keep your cars from being so cluttered with crap. There are better things to do with your E55, C32 or whatever MB you own. Don’t support non-dealer add-ons that will take away from your MB ride!

This type of thing is why our America is becoming like so many other countries? What’s next for us? Our AMG cars made next to Rolex watches in China? I’m not faulting China they make some of the best products and reproductions in the world and the people are worlderful and smart, but Mercedes-Benz AMG's are produced in Germany.

Sorry guys, but this is how I feel about coping someone else’s artwork or designs. Remember, it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Next thing you know?
Dawson,

Not to sound rude, but using your above statement I would say you are probably against all after-market add-ons to cars? If it's not made by MB in Germany then it just shouldn't go on our cars right? Is that what you were implying?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 AM

C55 AMG
I'm sorry but I just do not understand the logic of this. This is a piece that MB does not offer us and we want to update the look. Is it wrong to update the wheels to the new c63 style too? Is it wront to change the grille over to the new star emblem?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:46 AM

C55 AMG
The list is started for the 3.2 guys.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 AM

2005 Mercedes C55 AMG
Hey Folex, did you ever get around trying the emblem on your car and taking a pic of it? Or is it that you haven't got one yourself to do that yet?

Dawson, I'm sure most of us understand your points but by the same analogy, aftermarket parts are a huge aspect of the auto industry. At the autoshow, I've seen modified acura, honda's, toyota's, even saturn cars everywhere and in the same building where the stock cars are on display. Had all these manufacturers were against this, this would definatley not be allowed. I live in Toronto and I hear so much about custom auto shows like Sema, which is a huge deal. All we're doing is adding a label to our cars, and even then it's not false representation like marking a non-amg car to AMG.

So I hope that gives you another perspective, that this notion of changing original products to something more using non-manufactured items, it's been here and it's been happening for a long time and there is no future plans for it to stop. I beleive the manufacturers 'want' this because it's free advertising and marketing for their cars.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 AM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
Hey if AMG won't make things that people request ie shift knobs etc, then at least someone is... go to AMG Private Lounge and see how many things that we can't get in the states....
Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 AM

C55 AMG
I have not gotten the 5.5 version yet. The ones I got were an exact copy of the 6.3's to test the fit/finish vs OEM. They used a temp mold from the 6.3 that I sent in as the prototype. As soon as the mold is finished (It should be this week) I am going to know the exact price and I'll post up a paypal link with all the info.

I had a couple PM's about how these are affixed to the car- we are using 3m adhesive so it will be a peel and stick easy install.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 PM

2005 Mercedes C55 AMG
Originally Posted by folex187
I have not gotten the 5.5 version yet. The ones I got were an exact copy of the 6.3's to test the fit/finish vs OEM. They used a temp mold from the 6.3 that I sent in as the prototype. As soon as the mold is finished (It should be this week) I am going to know the exact price and I'll post up a paypal link with all the info.

I had a couple PM's about how these are affixed to the car- we are using 3m adhesive so it will be a peel and stick easy install.
Ok great!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG

This is funny. Half the OE stuff is probably made in China anyway I bet......
Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
please let me know when the 5.5's are ready. I will love to get my hands on a set. thanks for going the extra mile in getting this done.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:20 PM

2013 E63 AMG
Ok, let’s clear the air in here. I did not mean be my statement that all MB or AMG owners are not to modify or change their cars with aftermarket parts. What I mean is the AMG designs from the factory are great designs and if one changes them do it with class or improvement not placing a copyright infringement badge made in China on your car. By adding a badge molded from a factory designed 6.3 AMG piece is illegal in the USA. Mercedes-Benz may want to have their law firm look into these threads on some people-manufacturing product based on their copyright designs.

You can put whatever you want on your car just don’t support people or companies ripping off copyright designs. I know in other parts of the world people take designs and copy them, but here in the states you can see some prison time for that. Be safe.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:42 PM

2019 CLS450 4matic, 2013 CLS550 4matic (totaled), 2005 C55 (traded), & a Ford F150
Ok, let’s clear the air in here. I did not mean be my statement that all MB or AMG owners are not to modify or change their cars with aftermarket parts. What I mean is the AMG designs from the factory are great designs and if one changes them do it with class or improvement not placing a copyright infringement badge made in China on your car. By adding a badge molded from a factory designed 6.3 AMG piece is illegal in the USA. Mercedes-Benz may want to have their law firm look into these threads on some people-manufacturing product based on their copyright designs.

You can put whatever you want on your car just don’t support people or companies ripping off copyright designs. I know in other parts of the world people take designs and copy them, but here in the states you can see some prison time for that. Be safe.

Considering your Signature Pic, aren't we being a little hypocritical?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:52 PM

C55
The term "copyright" denotes the right to copy an original. Reproducing the 6.3 badge could be an infringement because there is an actual OEM 6.3 badge being copied. HOWEVER, an OEM 5.5 badge does not exist (yet). One can't be guilty of illegally copying something that doesn't exist. Furthermore, even a 6.3 badge infringement would be hard to enforce because no entity can hold exclusive copyrights to letters and numbers. Letters and numbers are deemed public domain and no one can claim rights to them.

The only part that is really in legal question is the "logo" slash bars. By the way, thats a trademark, not a copyright. And I agree with QuickSilver, you better change your ///AMG signature line if you're concerned about copyright voilations.

Last edited by mac55; 05-22-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Esh

E55
Let's be honest here. If MB wants to come after a few owners trying to improve the looks of their car, then they really are fishing the bottom of the barrel. Making 50 even 100 sets of these emblems is small fish for something that never even existed to begin with. If we were mass reproducing 6.3 badges as replacements to damaged factory 6.3, perhaps MB might mutter under their breath. These little things are small fish in a HUGE pond. If we were reproducing the entire car in China and shipping it here as a MB, it would be a problem.

I suppose the aftermarket flat badges such as the white star and others should be immediately stopped because they violate some sort of law. Point is: MB probably thinks it's pretty cool that we're adapting something they chose not to.

Dawson: At the next AMG Private Lounge chat, you should ask them.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 PM

W208 CLK55K, GTR, RS5
LOL @ the safety inspector
Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.

lol dude gtfo. Why don't you go tell Mercedes MBworld is using their name "Mercedes-Benz" in their slogan "for the Mercedes-Benz enthusiast" so they can shut this down too while we're at it. Dumb ***..
Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Come on, one thing is voicing out your opinion and another is being disrespectful. Clearly we don't all agree with Dawson's view but don't burn him on a stake for it.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:21 PM

C55 AMG
Let's just get back on topic before this all gets locked.

I'll know the price tonight for the number we have so far. I think I'll buy the extras to get it in the mid 20's if I need to and hang on to them for late buyers and if anyone needs a replacement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 5.5 AMG badge idea