C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sway bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
Sway bars

ok, i'm getting more mixed reviews here.

are sway bar upgrades worth the cash?

or is this like when i replaced my stock air filter with K and N- i felt cooler, i haven't had to replace it, but damn i don't know if it did a damn thing!

I'm doing coilovers this weekend, and while under there.....but only if they are really worth it.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by danielemccabe
...i'm getting more mixed reviews here...
From whom?

If the remainder of your suspension (bushings, joints, mounts, etc.) is in proper working order, there are few upgrades that provide greater tangible results for the requisite expenditure than anti-roll bars.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:07 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by splinter
From whom?

If the remainder of your suspension (bushings, joints, mounts, etc.) is in proper working order, there are few upgrades that provide greater tangible results for the requisite expenditure than anti-roll bars.
i agree, i love my H&R sway bars...noticed a difference instantly!

AMG-Jerry put the evosport sway bars on his car and noticed a difference immediately...
Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 AM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
the brabus sway bars the same as the AMG sway bars.
what is the Bar Diameter for the AMG sway bars? does anyone know ?

Last edited by Harry Madan; 09-11-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
also should compare/identify which one is hollow and which one is solid.

or is this like when i replaced my stock air filter with K and N- i felt cooler, i haven't had to replace it, but damn i don't know if it did a damn thing
that's comparing oranges and apples.

but yes, it will be a decent upgreade.

however, given that u r using coilovers, u may wish to keep the stock sway bars. this will allow u to retain some of ur ride comfort, which most likely will be diminished with the coilover setup. loosely explained, sway bars limit suspension movement. this is evident in the turns, but also over single sided bumps and what-not.

another more direct comparison to ur k/n filter would be to get the strut bars. given the added stress of the coilover on the macpherson strut setup, it might be wise to strenthen up the towers to help chassis flex to a minimum and reduce unwanted noise and movement.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
ok, i'm getting more mixed reviews here.

or is this like when i replaced my stock air filter with K and N- i felt cooler, i haven't had to replace it, but damn i don't know if it did a damn thing!

I'm doing coilovers this weekend, and while under there.....but only if they are really worth it.
Hey there:

Depends waht you are looking for.

First thing first, sway bars ARE one of the BEST ways to improve a cars poorhandling qulaities. Most factory cars exhibit understeer, ie the front end plows striaght ahead in a trun. So to correct this try:

Bigger front bar, MORE understeer, ie car pushs striaght ahead.
Bigger rear Bar, MORE oversteer, car wants to spin out around bends.
Best of both worlds, BUY BIGGER front and rear bars.
The reverse is also true, smaller front, more oversteer, etc, etc

By the way, I recently went to the track, and while running Bridgestone 050 PP's I found my car to be VERY neutral. Basically I know I won't be replacing either bar, as all four tires showed good wear, and I had plenty of steering, thanks to our wonderful supecharger clucth Ran 38 psi front, and 30 psi rear and the car was VERY well balanced, fyi
My Belltronics, G-Meter, siad I was pulling between 0.94-0.95 G consistanly, with a peak at 0.97.

If your car has a POOR handling quality, than SWAY bars are the way to go, AS THEY DO NOT EFFECT RIDE QUALITY ONE BIT, unilike springs or struts. She will still be a civilized beast going down the highway. They can induce noise if you use poly bushings, which ALWAYS SQUEAK!

My only question for you is, what do you want to accomplish by replacing your sway bars? Does your car plow now? Or do you simply have the MOD bug?

See yeah

Last edited by MRAMG1; 09-11-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:09 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
yes, sway bars made a big improvement on reducing understeer. doing both front and rear.

here's a list of spec from forum member "Lynn"'s old post

you can add Brabus sway bar as 27mm Front and 23mm Rear. the thickest sway bar setup on w203.

Sway bar sizes.

Stock: 20 mm front and 13 mm rear
C32: 22 mm front and 16 mm rear
Evosport: 24 mm front and 19 mm rear
Eibach: 24 mm front and 22 mm rear
H&R: 26 mm front and 19 mm rear

The C32 front bar is 46.4% stiffer than stock.
The C32 rear bar is 129.5% stiffer than stock.

The Eibach and Evosport front bars are 107.4% stiffer than stock.
The H&R front bar is 185.3% stiffer than stock.
The Evosport and H&R rear bars are 356.3% stiffer than stock.
The Eibach rear bar is 720.2% stiffer than stock.

The Eibach and Evosport front bars are 41.6% stiffer than C32.
The H&R front bar is 95.1 % stiffer than C32
The Evosport and H&R rear bars are 98.9% stiffer than C32.
The Eibach rear bar is 257.4% stiffer than C32.

The Eibach rear bar is 79.8% stiffer than Evosport and H&R.

The H&R front bar is 37.7% stiffer than Evosport and Eibach.

The stock front bar is 460.2% stiffer than the stock rear bar.

The C32 front bar is 257.4% stiffer than the C32 rear bar.

The Evosport front bar is 154.6% stiffer than the Evosport rear bar.

The Eibach front bar is 41.6% stiffer than the Eibach rear bar.

The H&R front bar is 250.7% stiffer than the H&R rear bar.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-11-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by FrankW
yes, sway bars made a big improvement on reducing understeer. doing both front and rear.

you can add Brabus sway bar as 27mm Front and 23mm Rear. the thickest sway bar setup on w203.
Great POST

Thanks for the info, I put it in my archives

Judging by this, the eibach bars should give the MOST oversteer condition, period. Great for the track, a handful for the street

see yeah

Last edited by MRAMG1; 09-11-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
major mod bug. got it real bad.

it started with a huge referral fee i just received...... let the mods begin....pulleys are next......
Old 09-11-2007, 03:58 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
how do i know what bushings will come with my sway bars??? is that something that i need to buy separately? any noise kills me. i've taken the dash apart looking for a small squeek!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG

when i was looking to get sway bars on my car and ppl recommend brabus, looking into it deeper and talking to brabus sales people, they told me that the brabus sway bars are not thicker then the stock AMG sway bars? they told be straight out that the brabus sway bars are identical to the C32 sway bars and that switching to them i would be wasting my money. so i did not get them. areu sure that the brabus sway bars are bigger then the stock AMG ones?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Harry Madan
...areu sure that the brabus sway bars are bigger then the stock AMG ones?
Harry- it’s true that the OG Brabus anti-roll bars are 27mm and 23mm F&R, respectively.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Harry Madan
when i was looking to get sway bars on my car and ppl recommend brabus, looking into it deeper and talking to brabus sales people, they told me that the brabus sway bars are not thicker then the stock AMG sway bars? they told be straight out that the brabus sway bars are identical to the C32 sway bars and that switching to them i would be wasting my money. so i did not get them. areu sure that the brabus sway bars are bigger then the stock AMG ones?
Brabus told that to the C32 AMG people because the C32 already had thicker sway bars. The gain from adding the sway bars to the C32 won't be as dramatic as adding to the C240/320 for those that are not hardcore performance junkies that can tell any difference.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Brabus told that to the C32 AMG people because the C32 already had thicker sway bars. The gain from adding the sway bars to the C32 won't be as dramatic as adding to the C240/320 for those that are not hardcore performance junkies that can tell any difference.
Hey FrankW:

I agree with you about the bars, as The C32 DOES already have good bars, front and back. I know I won't be changing them as My car is farily neutral, albiet a slight push/understeer, but the motor can still bring the rear around

I think money would be better spent on stiffer springs, but this will decrease the ride quality, if this matters to you.

On a side note, a Bigger rear bar will give more steering, but at a cost. It will make the car want to left the rear tire causing our cars, without a LSD, to spin the inside wheel. So alass I am staying with the stock bars for now.

And again your right on about the other models would see the bigger gain from bars

See yeah
Old 09-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
My thoughts on the matter...

The C32 Sway Bars are very good already. Many people complain about lowering their car, and still finding that there is more sway than they expected in the turns. There is another fundamental reason for this, geometry. Most people do not realize that by simply lowering any W203, you are decreasing the sway bar efficiency. I mentioned on another thread that one of the projects I was working on involved the suspension, and a few people have already seen what that piece is, both through pictures and in person. It directly relates to the geometry problem that exists. Pictures and explanations will be available over the weekend when I finally launch my new products
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey FrankW:

I agree with you about the bars, as The C32 DOES already have good bars, front and back. I know I won't be changing them as My car is farily neutral, albiet a slight push/understeer, but the motor can still bring the rear around

I think money would be better spent on stiffer springs, but this will decrease the ride quality, if this matters to you.

On a side note, a Bigger rear bar will give more steering, but at a cost. It will make the car want to left the rear tire causing our cars, without a LSD, to spin the inside wheel. So alass I am staying with the stock bars for now.

And again your right on about the other models would see the bigger gain from bars

See yeah
exactly, but I do have both upgrades. main reason my Brabus guy told me was that they didn't want customer come in pays for the swaybar and feels little gain for what they are paying, so they rather tell C32/55 owners that they're the same so the customer won't have the feeling of bring ripped.

i do some canyon runs once a while and the bars definitely improved the turn in. I also didn't have to set the coilover damper at the stiffest setting to produce the same feel that when I had the stock AMG bars.

for the price i got them it is definitely worth it for me.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-12-2007 at 10:40 PM.