C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Air Pump Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:38 AM
mbfan03

Air Pump Question

What Goin On Guys I Got A Check Engine Light For Bank 1 And Bank 2 O2 Sensors And I Changed Them And Still Comes On The Dealer Told Me Air Pump Is Toast Is There A Way I Can Bench Test It? Or When Its Pluged In When Does It Come On Or Does It Always Come On, Thanks So Much
Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Hey howsit,

Funny just last weeked i had and engine diagnostics light come on as well, unfortunately i did no have the tools to read the codes or anything. So i booked it in at the stealership and sounds like your problem they had to replace the secondary air pump, seems a common enough problem on the forums here. Quite expensive i might add. In South Africa they would have charged around U$ 1500 .00 ! Good luck man.

Good news is no more engine light
Old 10-17-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
Originally Posted by mbfan03
What Goin On Guys I Got A Check Engine Light For Bank 1 And Bank 2 O2 Sensors And I Changed Them And Still Comes On The Dealer Told Me Air Pump Is Toast Is There A Way I Can Bench Test It? Or When Its Pluged In When Does It Come On Or Does It Always Come On, Thanks So Much

Your air pump should be covered under warranty, as it is emissions-related, unless you have more than 80,000 miles. There's also a TSB out there for the air pump relay. If the relay goes bad, it can kill the air pump.

The dealer replaced my relay, air pump, and the ecu because of the same check engine light. It cost me nothing.

If your situation is different, you can always purchase an air pump off of ebay. Do an ebay search for "benz air pump" "benz smog pump"
Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
mbfan03

my dealer said its not covered the car only has 41000 miles on it. there were no tsb's either. i installed a new air pump and got a check engine light again.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:00 PM

my dealer said its not covered the car only has 41000 miles on it. there were no tsb's either. i installed a new air pump and got a check engine light again.
Check this out on the EPA website...(use search and look for c32)...

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/recall/...allreport4.pdf

In case the pdf does not pull up or spikes your CPU, here is the comment from within it...(it applies to all model year c32s)

A air injection pump, designed to operate during engine warm up periods, may fail to turn off at specified time. This will cause the pump to overheat and burn out. When the pump fails a MIL light will illuminate. Remedy: Mercedes and ECU-supplier have identified a software modification which will prevent random electromagnetic impulses from affecting the air injection pump. MBUSA plans to issue a field fix to all its dealers in early 2006. The ECU software will be updated and the pump relay replaced.

You might need a new ECU, a relay, and an air injection pump. If the dealer says no, contact the MB and the EPA. Tell them that the dealer refuses to make good on a recall and will not warrant an emissions-related item on your car.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
mbfan03

you mean call mb north america? Do u think they will do the repair my service advisor told me there's no tsb and is not covered.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:29 PM

you mean call mb north america? Do u think they will do the repair my service advisor told me there's no tsb and is not covered.
There's not a tsb, it's a recall. Contact MB and get clarification. Also pull out your owners manual and look through the emissions components warranty paper.