2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5

Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
What is your zip code?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:39 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by bud4ya
Yeah, there are no Renntech Mercedes dealers near you.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must pretty much walk any car u come accross with your upgrades and shot of juice

I think the main reason they flash the ECU is to remove the top speed limiter and adjust fuel trims. However, the map is only a starting point for the ECU and it will run the car the way it wants using all of the sensors and data. If you get cams or open the exhaust up by removing the front cats, then an ECU reflash would be needed.

My car was tripping out at the strip when I would do back to back runs with and without NOS. It would idle funny and run strange because it was trying to adapt.

I also ran a dry shot on the dyno and the car added fuel right away....very quick ECU.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM

Wish I could find a good tuner in in MA. There has to be one I will just have to research. Thanks for looking

Yeah, there are no Renntech Mercedes dealers near you.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
You must pretty much walk any car u come accross with your upgrades and shot of juice

The car is quick, but there are faster ones. Have you seen any of the track videos?

Here are a few with me against a W211 E55.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=c32+chicagox
Old 10-31-2007, 08:14 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Wish I could find a good tuner in in MA. There has to be one I will just have to research. Thanks for looking
Installing the pulley is very easy. The headers can be done if you have some knowledge of the car. If not, any ASE certified tech could do it.

If you are looking for ECU tuning, PM me after you get the car and I can help you out.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 PM

I know if I go with this car I will not be happy with the avg 5.1-5.2 0-60. From everything I can gather this is where the stock 32's are. This pulley upgrade I think would satify my speed need. I have been looking at the 04 Cobra's too but I do not think I could own another Ford. Looks like a c32 with pullsy kit should be close 0-60 and 1/4 with a stock Cobra.

Thanks for the Video I enjoy them

The car is quick, but there are faster ones. Have you seen any of the track videos?

Here are a few with me against a W211 E55.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=c32+chicagox
Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG - RIP :(
Here's some good reading comparing these 3 cars.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...b-c32-amg.html
http://www.c32life.com/stats.htm
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ar_comparison/
Old 10-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I know if I go with this car I will not be happy with the avg 5.1-5.2 0-60.
Really? If this is one of the sole reasons, then I would pass on a C32 and get the Cobra. Quite frankly, we are talking about a number. An already low number at that. Cars are more than numbers on paper. If thats all you care about, buy a cheap 03/04 Cobra, port the SC, get a smaller pulley, and have fun...My Cobra was trouble free until I blew the diff trying to break into the 10s...

The C32 is more than a 0-60 number. Its a complete package. Out of 36 cars I have owned, the C32 is one of my favorites. You know what, I still haven't pullied the car, and I love the power it makes. I love driving this car every day.

If you can really tell the difference between a 4.8 and a 5.1 0-60, then I applaud you. But I highly doubt most people can. I had a long discussion about power with another gear head today, and one of the big topics involved numbers on paper, and their perception in the real world. The love of everything that sounds faster and better, even if its not needed. Its like someone buying a 3ghz computer to play solitaire...Decide what the car is for. Drive multiple cars. Then make a decision.

Have you driven the C32 yet? I know you have talked about buying one, but you make it sound like its slow.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG - RIP :(
Here's what it boils down to for me.....at least between the 3-4 cars in question.

If you want a 4 door, your choices is either C32 or S4. If you want a heavy awd, all motor V8 car that is basically maxed out....get the S4. If you don't want awd or you want a car that responds to mods...get the C32.

If you want a 2 door....get the M3. If you want a 2 door that will run 11's with less than $2k in mods....get an 03/04 Cobra.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
at this point buying a C32 over a M3 should not be a debate.. buy which ever car you feel make your more happy..

This debate is about 5 years old..

obviously you are not buying the M3 because its the fastest.. its not.. buy a used 335 and you will have a faster car.

The c32 is a bit outdated

and S4 is the best looking out of the 3 IMO. Best interior too.

If you are not sold on the C32 at this point,you never will be.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Look at my sig and you will see that I drag raced every popular filter used on vertually stock 02 C32 including factory and I believe the car ran very well indeed. The 0-60 times was collected by this site http://www.wallaceracing.com/0-60_equation.php so I presume they are approximate mostly. I just bought ASP pullies and gonna try them out hopefully by final track day. I was told by a car builder/tuner that though the car will run fine that a ecu tune will eventually be needed to gain optimum range of the pulleys. MMy choice would be the C32 in your selection. But if C55 was there then to me the better interior/exterior twiks and non aspurated V8 with dual exhaust would win.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:29 AM

I would not say the car is slow. But it is avg with so many others out there. 5 years back a 5 sec car was a rocket now you have 4 cylinders running in the high 4's stock. I want a sleeper like C32 when you pull up to non Z06 C5 and both hit it they are looking over at you and saying holy crap that 6 cylinder benz is right next to me. Looks like this could be accomplished with pully's.

There are just so many cars now that fall into that high 4 low 5 range it is hard to choose. I really like the paper numbers of the Cobra but at the end of the day it is a Ford. My friend has a Saleen which is SUPER fast and at 50K the car rattles and shakes. I do not think you get that with a Benz, BMW etc

Thanks for your input

Originally Posted by code3smith
Really? If this is one of the sole reasons, then I would pass on a C32 and get the Cobra. Quite frankly, we are talking about a number. An already low number at that. Cars are more than numbers on paper. If thats all you care about, buy a cheap 03/04 Cobra, port the SC, get a smaller pulley, and have fun...My Cobra was trouble free until I blew the diff trying to break into the 10s...

The C32 is more than a 0-60 number. Its a complete package. Out of 36 cars I have owned, the C32 is one of my favorites. You know what, I still haven't pullied the car, and I love the power it makes. I love driving this car every day.

If you can really tell the difference between a 4.8 and a 5.1 0-60, then I applaud you. But I highly doubt most people can. I had a long discussion about power with another gear head today, and one of the big topics involved numbers on paper, and their perception in the real world. The love of everything that sounds faster and better, even if its not needed. Its like someone buying a 3ghz computer to play solitaire...Decide what the car is for. Drive multiple cars. Then make a decision.

Have you driven the C32 yet? I know you have talked about buying one, but you make it sound like its slow.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:34 AM

I would think a 335 with procede software and a C32 with pully's should be fairly equal in power. I may be wrong though. I did look at the 335' but they have not taken enough hit in deperation for me yet. I only keep my cars about 2 years.

Originally Posted by TopGun32
at this point buying a C32 over a M3 should not be a debate.. buy which ever car you feel make your more happy..

This debate is about 5 years old..

obviously you are not buying the M3 because its the fastest.. its not.. buy a used 335 and you will have a faster car.

The c32 is a bit outdated

and S4 is the best looking out of the 3 IMO. Best interior too.

If you are not sold on the C32 at this point,you never will be.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I would not say the car is slow. But it is avg with so many others out there. 5 years back a 5 sec car was a rocket now you have 4 cylinders running in the high 4's stock. I want a sleeper like C32 when you pull up to non Z06 C5 and both hit it they are looking over at you and saying holy crap that 6 cylinder benz is right next to me. Looks like this could be accomplished with pully's.

There are just so many cars now that fall into that high 4 low 5 range it is hard to choose. I really like the paper numbers of the Cobra but at the end of the day it is a Ford. My friend has a Saleen which is SUPER fast and at 50K the car rattles and shakes. I do not think you get that with a Benz, BMW etc

Thanks for your input
If 0-60 numbers are what you're looking for, then you might think about the last E55 AMG. 0-60 in 4.2 - 4.5, competely stock. Roomier than all of the above. They're still a little pricey, but a LOT of this 2004-2006 models will be coming in off lease just broken in and ready to go. It's one of those rare models where the successor (E63 AMG) does NOT surpass it. This is my top prospect to replace the C32 in a year or two.

If 5.0-5.2 is too slow, then I assume you've already dismissed the S4.
http://cars.about.com/cs/sportssedans/fr/MB_e55_tst.htm

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 11-01-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:46 AM

I took the S4 off the list although it would be nice to get rid of my winter beater and have one nice car to drive year round. It sound like if I do the pulley upgrade I will be fully happy. You do not get any better than high 4's in a 4 door sedan.

I have also dropped the benz dealer a call to see how much it is to add another year to the 2 year warranty that was bought over and beyond the factory.

The M3 may also be too just beause of price. They are still in the low $30K range.

how hard is it to change out the pulleys?

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
If 0-60 numbers are what you're looking for, then you might think about the last E55 AMG. 0-60 in 4.2 - 4.5, competely stock. Roomier than all of the above. They're still a little pricey, but a LOT of this 2004-2006 models will be coming in off lease just broken in and ready to go. It's one of those rare models where the successor (E63 AMG) does NOT surpass it. This is my top prospect to replace the C32 in a year or two.

If 5.0-5.2 is too slow, then I assume you've already dismissed the S4.
http://cars.about.com/cs/sportssedans/fr/MB_e55_tst.htm
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I took the S4 off the list although it would be nice to get rid of my winter beater and have one nice car to drive year round. It sound like if I do the pulley upgrade I will be fully happy. You do not get any better than high 4's in a 4 door sedan.

I have also dropped the benz dealer a call to see how much it is to add another year to the 2 year warranty that was bought over and beyond the factory.

The M3 may also be too just beause of price. They are still in the low $30K range.

how hard is it to change out the pulleys?
I've not touched my pulleys, but folks here have. I think it's easy IF you have a tool to hold the pulley while you work off the bolt(s). Do a search and you may find a write up.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 AM

I will let you know what I decide. You and everyone else here has been very helpful

I've not touched my pulleys, but folks here have. I think it's easy IF you have a tool to hold the pulley while you work off the bolt(s). Do a search and you may find a write up.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
C32 slow huh? Ha Ha................if so then maybe you should not consider this car....as my SIG goes I can hit the 4.6 range in stock form. By no mean is it slow. As for stock 4 cylinder cars pulling high 4s stock well I only know two the STI and EVO but the C32 can still take them eventually and all stock. 4 wheel drive cars are hell fast of the line but the C32 isn't left behind either. Keep in mind this car stock has more hp then a standard C5(345) vs C32(349) what helps the C5 to be faster is mostly weight and wider tires. But with a pulley Even the C5 ZO6 would have a hard time beating a pullied and tuned C32. By no means is this car slow!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM

I NEVER once said the car is slow in any of my posts so I am not sure where that came from. If I did please correct me. I am just saying it is on par with a lot of cars out there today.

How much was your LSD to install? I was looking at your numbers for a stock C32 and they are impressive. How much do you think LSD helped out? From a roll I guess it would not make a difference but from a stand still it would really help? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sounds like you have been able to get the stock power to the ground in an efficient manner with the LSD.

You make me smile when you say with just a pulley this car is capable of staying with C5 vette's. The nice thing about this car is it sounds like for relatively cheap money you can turn this into more of a monster than it is in stock form.

I am going to make an offer on the car now and see what happens.

Originally Posted by c32used
C32 slow huh? Ha Ha................if so then maybe you should not consider this car....as my SIG goes I can hit the 4.6 range in stock form. By no mean is it slow. As for stock 4 cylinder cars pulling high 4s stock well I only know two the STI and EVO but the C32 can still take them eventually and all stock. 4 wheel drive cars are hell fast of the line but the C32 isn't left behind either. Keep in mind this car stock has more hp then a standard C5(345) vs C32(349) what helps the C5 to be faster is mostly weight and wider tires. But with a pulley Even the C5 ZO6 would have a hard time beating a pullied and tuned C32. By no means is this car slow!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I NEVER once said the car is slow in any of my posts so I am not sure where that came from. If I did please correct me. I am just saying it is on par with a lot of cars out there today.

How much was your LSD to install? I was looking at your numbers for a stock C32 and they are impressive. How much do you think LSD helped out? From a roll I guess it would not make a difference but from a stand still it would really help? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sounds like you have been able to get the stock power to the ground in an efficient manner with the LSD.

You make me smile when you say with just a pulley this car is capable of staying with C5 vette's. The nice thing about this car is it sounds like for relatively cheap money you can turn this into more of a monster than it is in stock form.

I am going to make an offer on the car now and see what happens.
LSD is about $1,500 for the parts and at least $500 labor. A difficult job that must be done right. The electronic system works pretty well, though.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
The nice thing about this car is it sounds like for relatively cheap money you can turn this into more of a monster than it is in stock form.
Well.... if you want to talk about building a fast car for cheap money, the "old" Audi S4 with the 2.7T engine can be tweaked to 325HP with little more than a chip. Of course, it's a ticking time bomb!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM

I know I almost went down that path with my A6 2.7 T. I was just afraid of blowing up those turbo's. I think just adding a pulley to the C32 should not provide too much boost to hurt the car. I am sure Benz tunes them in a conservative manner. I would just go with a pulley that provided conservative boost gains

Well.... if you want to talk about building a fast car for cheap money, the "old" Audi S4 with the 2.7T engine can be tweaked to 325HP with little more than a chip. Of course, it's a ticking time bomb!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
My A4's replacement in the spring . (Laser Red Sedan or Avant not sure yet hehe.)

But to the point at the rate that C32's are depreciating id get a E46 M3. A C32 is a comfortable cruiser, if you want a car that is a drivers car look no further but the M3, theres a good reason why they've been the bench mark for so long. They also have plenty of tuning available for them, you can have fun with the car. Best of all you don't have to put up with a nit witted auto tranny.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Some C32s are stronger than others. Autocar tested theirs at 0-60 in 4.6secs and 0-100 in 10.8. The M3 next to it clocked 0-60 in 4.8 and 0-100 in 11.5. The same magazine also ran a C32 long term and raved about it.

Now, you'll need to tighten up the suspension and beef up the rear brakes if you want to keep up with a M3 when it's not a straightline but make no mistake the C32 is a great vehicle and one of the ultimate sleepers.

If living on the east coast, it would be S4 all the way for me but in the dry in the straightaways the other two are a little faster.

As regards rearseats, there is a little more room in the C32 than the S4, due in part to the beefy Recaros.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering C32, E46 M3 and 2004 S4