C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Considering C32, E46 M3 and 2004 S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Considering C32, E46 M3 and 2004 S4

I just sold my modded 540 6 speed/sport and in the market for another car. At the top of my list are the E46 M3 and the B6 S4 (V8) until I saw a 2003 C32 AMG. My question is performance. My 540 had 3.15 gears, Dinan Software, Exhaust. It was fairly quick for a 4-door sedan. I am assuming from just looking at numbers the C32 will out accelerate my 540? Will the C32 out accelerate the E46 and the B6 S4? I am talking stock for stock with equal drivers.

The big question is what is the best mod for this car for increase in power. I was told pulley? I checked out Renntech site and it is like $3,200 for a pulley and ECU flash. If this is done to the car and somenthing blows because of the upgrade does Mercedes still cover it under a Mercedes warranty if it is still in place. I know with BMW if you have any Dinan mod's that cause a failure BMW will still cover the repairs under factory warranty because Dinan is approved by BMW. What boost is the car running at and what boost would a pulley bring it up to? Can I get a pulley from Mercedes or is Renntech Mercedes approved perfomance line? I would like to use Mercedes parts since it still has another 2 years on an extended warranty.

The only killer about the car is it is an auto. I do not think it has a system like SMG in the BMW does it?

This car is a 1 owner, 30K miles and extended warranty. They are asking only 23K for the car. From looking at the same in the E46 and the 2004 S4 this is less expensive by thousand of dollars. I just want something that has a back seat, very quick, German and handles well. Most to all driving will be on the street.

I am open to all input.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by bud4ya
I just sold my modded 540 6 speed/sport and in the market for another car. At the top of my list are the E46 M3 and the B6 S4 (V8) until I saw a 2003 C32 AMG. My question is performance. My 540 had 3.15 gears, Dinan Software, Exhaust. It was fairly quick for a 4-door sedan. I am assuming from just looking at numbers the C32 will out accelerate my 540? Will the C32 out accelerate the E46 and the B6 S4? I am talking stock for stock with equal drivers.

The big question is what is the best mod for this car for increase in power. I was told pulley? I checked out Renntech site and it is like $3,200 for a pulley and ECU flash. If this is done to the car and somenthing blows because of the upgrade does Mercedes still cover it under a Mercedes warranty if it is still in place. I know with BMW if you have any Dinan mod's that cause a failure BMW will still cover the repairs under factory warranty because Dinan is approved by BMW. What boost is the car running at and what boost would a pulley bring it up to? Can I get a pulley from Mercedes or is Renntech Mercedes approved perfomance line? I would like to use Mercedes parts since it still has another 2 years on an extended warranty.

The only killer about the car is it is an auto. I do not think it has a system like SMG in the BMW does it?

This car is a 1 owner, 30K miles and extended warranty. They are asking only 23K for the car. From looking at the same in the E46 and the 2004 S4 this is less expensive by thousand of dollars. I just want something that has a back seat, very quick, German and handles well. Most to all driving will be on the street.

I am open to all input.

Thanks
Automatic is your only option, and the manu-matic function is not top-notch. Shifts are sluggish and the computer overrides your shifts frequently. The SMG/DSG systems are much better, and current AMGs use an automatic that response much more quickly and faithfully to driver inputs. But that said, it's the best automatic I've ever driven.

The C32 goes 0-60 in about 5.0 to 5.3 seconds with no modifications. If that satisfies you, then I'd recommend leaving it as is. Modifications are expensive and they will void your drivetrain warranty. Some folks here have found that engine mods don't always translate into improved performance.

The C32, bone stock, will outrun the S4 (auto or manual), and the S4 V8 cannot be improved. On track, with an investment in good tires and maybe a set of decent springs (I have H&R Sport) the C32 outruns the S4 V8. Mercedes built the car to understeer, but with some investment, it can surprise a lot of fast cars on track. S4 is, of course, a better choice if you drive in snow or lots of rain. S4 has a better back seat too.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM

So 0-60 the C32 will beat out a stock S4 (V8). I looked and there are zero mods that really help out the S4. I am guesing the S4 0-60 must be in the 5.5 sec range.

Any experience running a stock M3 6 Speed Coupe 0-60 in the C32 in stock form. From what I can see E46 looks to be in the high 4 sec range stock 0-60 coupe/6 speed.

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Automatic is your only option, and the manu-matic function is not top-notch. Shifts are sluggish and the computer overrides your shifts frequently. The SMG/DSG systems are much better, and current AMGs use an automatic that response much more quickly and faithfully to driver inputs. But that said, it's the best automatic I've ever driven.

The C32 goes 0-60 in about 5.0 to 5.3 seconds with no modifications. If that satisfies you, then I'd recommend leaving it as is. Modifications are expensive and they will void your drivetrain warranty. Some folks here have found that engine mods don't always translate into improved performance.

The C32, bone stock, will outrun the S4 (auto or manual), and the S4 V8 cannot be improved. On track, with an investment in good tires and maybe a set of decent springs (I have H&R Sport) the C32 outruns the S4 V8. Mercedes built the car to understeer, but with some investment, it can surprise a lot of fast cars on track. S4 is, of course, a better choice if you drive in snow or lots of rain. S4 has a better back seat too.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
So 0-60 the C32 will beat out a stock S4 (V8). I looked and there are zero mods that really help out the S4. I am guesing the S4 0-60 must be in the 5.5 sec range.

Any experience running a stock M3 6 Speed Coupe 0-60 in the C32 in stock form. From what I can see E46 looks to be in the high 4 sec range stock 0-60 coupe/6 speed.
I traded in my E46 M3 6 speed for the C32. Stock for Stock the C32 is faster than my M3 was. There are also less C32's and it tends to get more attention with 19" rims and small cosmetic mods.

The C32 with a pulley alone will put a smile on your face.

Go test drive both and go with your gut. Make sure you get an extended warranty and service history before you buy the C32. Specifically, take the VIN down and call your local MB for the service history.

Ask if the following have been replaced and post back here:

Transmission
Radiator
Control Arm Bushings
Secondary Air Injection Pump / Relay
Seat Control Modules
Any of the SAMS

May sound like a lot of work, but it would be the smartest thing to do.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks Jerry From what I was reading 0-60 times on a E46 M3 Coupe 6 Speed are running 4.8 or so and the C32 stock is running low 5's. Was yours a vert?

Looks like when you add a pulley it wakes these cars up. TY for the tip on what needs to be checked. Nice thing is the car was serviced at the Benz dealer here in town.

Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
I traded in my E46 M3 6 speed for the C32. Stock for Stock the C32 is faster than my M3 was. There are also less C32's and it tends to get more attention with 19" rims and small cosmetic mods.

Go test drive both and go with your gut. Make sure you get an extended warranty and service history before you buy the C32. Specifically, take the VIN down and call your local MB for the service history.

Transmission
Radiator
Control Arm Bushings
Seat Control Modules
Any of the SAMS

Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
I came from an E46 M3 (02 coupe) to my C55 and I can tell you without a doubt the C55 is faster.

The C55 is a better daily driver. More comfortable, luxurious, smooth, faster, easier to drive around town (no need to rev sky high to get going)...all around better. I was a diehard manual driver until this car, and to be honest, I dont really miss it much at all. The paddle shifters on the C55 (not avail on the c32 as I recall) are excellent, but not like the SMG. The SMG's shifts at high RPM are sickening, so quick. Around town however its kind of jerky...the C55 is smoother.

Id skip the S4 altogether unless you require AWD. Otherwise, the C32 or C55 is a much better bet IMO.

If youre into modding, the C32 is by far your best bang for the buck. You're a few simple mods away from 12's it seems, not as easily accomplished with the C55 or S4.

The build quality of the benz vs the bmw is def in favor of the mbz. The E46 interior seems chintzy in comparison. Creature comforts are much better in the C55.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Looks like when you add a pulley it wakes these cars up.
0-60 in 5 seconds ain't exactly snoozin'!

I'd get some good, hard numbers on what a pulley does before I pulled the trigger on it. The "legit" tuners seem to package pulleys with a software upgrade.

PS: For at least three reasons, I also suggest that you un-stagger the wheel-tire setup. I reduces understeer, looks great, and allows you to rotate tires and give a breather to the poor tires that end up on the back!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The m3 will hold its value better...

if you are a "DIY" kinda of guy.. the C32 is pretty simple to upgrade and fix its common issues...engine and kompressor related items (pullies, bearings, IC pump, IC HE, air boxes)

but the electrical portion sucks!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM

I was getting killed with the stag set up on the 540. The inners would wear out in like 8-10 miles.

TY for the info

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
0-60 in 5 seconds ain't exactly snoozin'!

I'd get some good, hard numbers on what a pulley does before I pulled the trigger on it. The "legit" tuners seem to package pulleys with a software upgrade.

PS: For at least three reasons, I also suggest that you un-stagger the wheel-tire setup. I reduces understeer, looks great, and allows you to rotate tires and give a breather to the poor tires that end up on the back!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 PM

c55
Go test drive both and go with your gut.
the 0.5 sec difference in 0-60 between a M3 and C32 is kinda negligible and it really depends on what you like. i ended up with a C55 cause while we both wanted 4 doors, my wife wanted automatic and i wanted something with enough power to make me forget that i was giving up my manual. i don't miss it at all!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Originally Posted by ashura
the 0.5 sec difference in 0-60 between a M3 and C32 is kinda negligible and it really depends on what you like. i ended up with a C55 cause while we both wanted 4 doors, my wife wanted automatic and i wanted something with enough power to make me forget that i was giving up my manual. i don't miss it at all!
Just to be clear here, I rolled my E46 M3 right up to MBZ, pulled out the C55 for a test drive and immediately felt a difference 0-60, 0-100, whatever. It was flat out faster. I definitely felt it!

Rolled up in the M3, pulled out in a C55, drove it back, hopped in a C32 and drove it back, left in the M3. C55 was definitely the fastest, followed by the C32 and the M3. For what its worth....I was not a fan at all of the interior of the C32. It was worth the extra cash on that alone IMO to get the C55.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:08 AM

How much is just this pulley? Looks like the co's that sell these are ASP, Renntech and Kleeman. From what I have read a pulley goes from $200-$3,200 for a full package that includes ECU upgrade. Looks like I can just get away with buying a pulley? The ECU re map will help with fuel with with pulley install?

Why are the numbers all over the place for a pulley upgrade. I would like something that is very reliable and safe for what that is worth.

Transmission
Radiator
Control Arm Bushings
Seat Control Modules
Any of the SAMS

Old 10-31-2007, 10:10 AM

Rory was your E46 SMG or Manual?

Originally Posted by rory breaker
Just to be clear here, I rolled my E46 M3 right up to MBZ, pulled out the C55 for a test drive and immediately felt a difference 0-60, 0-100, whatever. It was flat out faster. I definitely felt it!

Rolled up in the M3, pulled out in a C55, drove it back, hopped in a C32 and drove it back, left in the M3. C55 was definitely the fastest, followed by the C32 and the M3. For what its worth....I was not a fan at all of the interior of the C32. It was worth the extra cash on that alone IMO to get the C55.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
How much is just this pulley? Looks like the co's that sell these are ASP, Renntech and Kleeman. From what I have read a pulley goes from $200-$3,200 for a full package that includes ECU upgrade. Looks like I can just get away with buying a pulley? The ECU re map will help with fuel with with pulley install?

Why are the numbers all over the place for a pulley upgrade. I would like something that is very reliable and safe for what that is worth.
It depends if you want a dampened pulley or not, and if so, does the dampened pulley use rubber / other material or is it fluid filled.

I prefer the LET pulley. You can order one in the size you want. It is a fluid dampened pulley, which is the best. It is also easy to remove and change pulley sizes for winter if you prefer....not a bad price either.

www.letmotorsports.com
Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Rory was your E46 SMG or Manual?
Manual. Test drove an SMG...loved the quick shifts at redline, didnt like the jerkiness during normal driving.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:52 AM

Did they re program your ECU also? If not what are the benifits besides fuel consumption to having the ECU re mapped.

It depends if you want a dampened pulley or not, and if so, does the dampened pulley use rubber / other material or is it fluid filled.

I prefer the LET pulley. You can order one in the size you want. It is a fluid dampened pulley, which is the best. It is also easy to remove and change pulley sizes for winter if you prefer....not a bad price either.

www.letmotorsports.com
Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM

TY I am really leaning on this C32 now because for the same year M3 with same miles I am looking at about 10K more and no extended warranty

Originally Posted by rory breaker
Manual. Test drove an SMG...loved the quick shifts at redline, didnt like the jerkiness during normal driving.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 PM

So all that needs to be done to this car is change out the pulley and with a good driver this car will run in the 12 sec range and 0-60 mid 4 sec? Does a pulley change and re program of the ECU really put that much more strain on the drive train? From what I can see Renntech wants $3,200 for a pulley and re flash of ECU (Ouch)?

Does the ECU have to be re programmed when changing the pulley?

It also seems that others here who have left their car stock and just used something called a Green Filter see performance increase?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure that this pulley upgrade is fairly easy, fairly inexpensive and is reliable before I make an offer.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Did they re program your ECU also? If not what are the benifits besides fuel consumption to having the ECU re mapped.
The ECU does not need to be reflashed. I do recommend getting it done once you have the funds, but it's not a requirement.

I ran with a Renntech pulley and no flash during my troubleshooting period with no problems.

Take a look at my site for more info. www.renntechc32.com
Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 PM

So the ECU flash just helps with the fuel curve. Proablly helps you get better MPG with the pulley kit I would assume?

I appreciate all your help here. I know if I get this car I am going to do want to make it faster. I am sure my regular mechanic would have the know how on installing a pulley since Benz here will only do stock parts? he works all American and Forgin cars.

The ECU does not need to be reflashed. I do recommend getting it done once you have the funds, but it's not a requirement.

I ran with a Renntech pulley and no flash during my troubleshooting period with no problems.

Take a look at my site for more info. www.renntechc32.com
Old 10-31-2007, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

The main reason to fork over the big bucks for Kleemann (and maybe Renntech) is that those are "branded" tuner names, and it's conceivable that a future buyer might consider it a plus to have made the upgrade. The others may get you the same results, but will not add value. Theoretically, you could get better tech support from Kleemann and Renntech, but you're really just dealing with the local shop that did the install.

Now that my C32 is relieved of track-day duties, my budget is all about beefing up the 944. But it would be fun to have more HP...
Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
So the ECU flash just helps with the fuel curve. Proablly helps you get better MPG with the pulley kit I would assume?

I appreciate all your help here. I know if I get this car I am going to do want to make it faster. I am sure my regular mechanic would have the know how on installing a pulley since Benz here will only do stock parts? he works all American and Forgin cars.
I think the main reason they flash the ECU is to remove the top speed limiter and adjust fuel trims. However, the map is only a starting point for the ECU and it will run the car the way it wants using all of the sensors and data. If you get cams or open the exhaust up by removing the front cats, then an ECU reflash would be needed.

My car was tripping out at the strip when I would do back to back runs with and without NOS. It would idle funny and run strange because it was trying to adapt.

I also ran a dry shot on the dyno and the car added fuel right away....very quick ECU.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:12 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
It also seems that others here who have left their car stock and just used something called a Green Filter see performance increase?
Yeah there are some cheap mods that make the car a little faster and sound better, probably would put it on par with a manual E46. Greenfilters (or K&N's) have a good bang for buck and a fair number of people here swear by them. You can get an SL55 y-splitter and hoses pretty cheap also. Also removing the resonator makes the exhaust note a little better too. You can probably get all this done for ~$400 and it wont void the warrantee. I'd say get the C32 if you need the extra interior space and especially if you have to deal with traffic a lot.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 PM

That answers my question. So if I am concerned about getting better fuel consumption/ni speed limiter after adding the pulley I could re flash.

I will call Renntech and Kleeman and ask how much just a pulley set up would be then.

TY

I think the main reason they flash the ECU is to remove the top speed limiter and adjust fuel trims. However, the map is only a starting point for the ECU and it will run the car the way it wants using all of the sensors and data. If you get cams or open the exhaust up by removing the front cats, then an ECU reflash would be needed.

My car was tripping out at the strip when I would do back to back runs with and without NOS. It would idle funny and run strange because it was trying to adapt.

I also ran a dry shot on the dyno and the car added fuel right away....very quick ECU.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
That answers my question. So if I am concerned about getting better fuel consumption/ni speed limiter after adding the pulley I could re flash.

I will call Renntech and Kleeman and ask how much just a pulley set up would be then.

TY

What is your zip code?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering C32, E46 M3 and 2004 S4