TCU upgrade for C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by splinter
I'm about to retire for the evening, as we have a 0530 call. What were your former best lap times?
We are hanging on your every post.

This is Deja Vu all over again!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230KSS 6spd
might be off topic, but what is a tcu?
it sounds transmission related.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by charl1exbr0wn
might be off topic, but what is a tcu?
it sounds transmission related.
Correct. It's the Transmission Control Unit.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by AMGSC
I am contemplating either the Powerchip ECU or Evotech ECU/TCU combination. Powerchip will custom tune my car on a dyno as will Evotech but the difference is $800 for the TCU upgrade.

Can some tuning expert explain what a TCU upgrade will do for a C55 and why it would be necessary?

I know that my car shifts too early (upshifts from 4th to 5th before Max torque is reached or downshifts from 4th to 3rd causing a torque spike) but I don't know if the ECU or the TCU will address these issues.

I heard that the TCU upgrade simply removes the limiter that protects the tranny from too much stress if the car has too much power.

My current SpeedInnovation's custom ECU upgrade included changes to the shift points (higher rev limiter) but does the TCU do even more in terms of unleashing more power?
Do NOT go with Powerchip, I've had bad experience with them before and so did two of my friends. EvoTech have very knowledgable tuners, specifically in Mercedes and all their feedback have been positive so far while Powerchip has some negatives here and there.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Robert.....Robert.......Robert.......

I know for a fact SpeedInnovation has the latest files for your car they have a Star Diagnosis and they have the latest updates for any mercedes vehicle. Before you go on boards and think maybe you should ask them first. They got their Dyno Dynamics BTW.

Also they know how to modify that blower cause guess what he what right from the begining imagine that!!!!!!!. BTW did you see Techtunes R129 sl500 thats hits 12s...... what was your time slip again. Hmmm where do you think it came from.....CoEngineered

And last but not least SpeedInnovation really wanted you to stop throwing your money away on that system you keep trying to modify and make that promised number and put a oem55k motor in it of course with a few mods say 700hp C55 but you wont step up Im sure that oem 55k stock is putting out much more than you are getting in your highly modded state.

If anyone is interested in a oem 55k motor with less than 1000 and wants to swap it into their c55 call speedinnovation they know how to do the swap and wiring and the ecu so it is a seemless transplant.

and then call Robert Out and lets take it to the drags.........enough said.

WHOS DOWN
Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by mig888
Robert.....Robert.......Robert.......

I know for a fact SpeedInnovation has the latest files for your car they have a Star Diagnosis and they have the latest updates for any mercedes vehicle. Before you go on boards and think maybe you should ask them first. They got their Dyno Dynamics BTW.

Also they know how to modify that blower cause guess what he what right from the begining imagine that!!!!!!!. BTW did you see Techtunes R129 sl500 thats hits 12s...... what was your time slip again. Hmmm where do you think it came from.....CoEngineered

And last but not least SpeedInnovation really wanted you to stop throwing your money away on that system you keep trying to modify and make that promised number and put a oem55k motor in it of course with a few mods say 700hp C55 but you wont step up Im sure that oem 55k stock is putting out much more than you are getting in your highly modded state.

If anyone is interested in a oem 55k motor with less than 1000 and wants to swap it into their c55 call speedinnovation they know how to do the swap and wiring and the ecu so it is a seemless transplant.

and then call Robert Out and lets take it to the drags.........enough said.

WHOS DOWN
Sounds like you are contradicting yourself a bit here. First you say that the HPS kit has been debugged and is making BIG power and speed then you say to dump the HPS kit and get the oem55K....
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
If it was me and I had the same issues you had from the begining then I would dump what you have and go oem55k for max power . It is a better built platform to start with.

However Speedinnovation knows how to fix your blower and your problem..or if it your quest to have a c55 that blows the socks off of anything on the road then they can do that as well

Question is what do you want to do?

Why cause they can do either of the two so instead of putting your guard up listen to advise given properly.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by mig888
If it was me and I had the same issues you had from the begining then I would dump what you have and go oem55k for max power . It is a better built platform to start with.

However Speedinnovation knows how to fix your blower and your problem..or if it your quest to have a c55 that blows the socks off of anything on the road then they can do that as well

Question is what do you want to do?

Why cause they can do either of the two so instead of putting your guard up listen to advise given properly.
If you can get me $4K for my HPS (I spent $1200 for labor and $250 on Magnusson refurb) then I'm open to the idea. Heck I might even buy the 55K motor as a backup if/when I blow my stock motor.

Last edited by AMGSC; 11-08-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
If you can get me $4K for my HPS (I spent $1200 for labor and $250 on Magnusson refurb) then I'm open to the idea. Heck I might even buy the 55K motor as a backup if/when I blow my stock motor.
IMOP You'd be better off just going with the Kleeman S/C setup vs installing the OEM 55k motor. I've alreadt inquired about all of this. It's not a 1,2,3 install like what's being suggested here. There are also many other parts involved,heatexchanger,water lines,pump,the engine mounts and brackets are entirely different as well. Amd don't forget the electronics. In the long run I'd either get the HPS kit modified(taking a chance) or just go with the Kleemann S/C kit.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
IMOP You'd be better off just going with the Kleeman S/C setup vs installing the OEM 55k motor. I've alreadt inquired about all of this. It's not a 1,2,3 install like what's being suggested here. There are also many other parts involved,heatexchanger,water lines,pump,the engine mounts and brackets are entirely different as well. Amd don't forget the electronics. In the long run I'd either get the HPS kit modified(taking a chance) or just go with the Kleemann S/C kit.
Jessie won't retune my HPS kit but Mechtech/HPS will. They actually have a programmer in Germany that flashes the ECU and sends it back to Jim. It would cost me $1500 for a custom tune with all my additional mods. There still needs to be a fix for the intake/inlet piece of the HPS kit that is restricting the air from entering the inlet of the blower itself that must be reworked to get the kind of power the Callaway Vettes are getting.

My other option is to buy the Kleemann kit from a few fellow members, however, the new kit is not much different and the old twin-screw is no longer supported by Kleemann. They will not provide the ECU upgrade for it anymore.

Jessie is still trying to put together a complete E55K package including ported heads, pullies, 80mm throttle body, Cooling kit, X-pipe exhaust, ECU while still utilizing my Kleemann Headers, Cams and Cats for under $20K. Vadim also advised against taking this risk but Jessie says this is an easy slam dunk with 100% success rate putting out 700hp. He now owns www.Gintani.com. This E55K motor has less than 600 miles on it according to Jessie.

So these are my 3 choices. I need some advice again on which path to take.

Last edited by AMGSC; 12-01-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:10 PM

Not an AMG :(
Jessie won't retune my HPS kit but Mechtech/HPS will. They actually have a programmer in Germany that flashes the ECU and sends it back to Jim. It would cost me $1500 for a custom tune with all my additional mods. There still needs to be a fix for the intake/inlet piece of the HPS kit that is restricting the air from entering the inlet of the blower itself that must be reworked to get the kind of power the Callaway Vettes are getting.

My other option is to buy the Kleemann kit from a few fellow members, however, the new kit is not much different and the old twin-screw is no longer supported by Kleemann. They will not provide the ECU upgrade for it anymore.

Jessie is still trying to put together a complete E55K package including ported heads, pullies, 80mm throttle body, Cooling kit, X-pipe exhaust, ECU while still utilizing my Kleemann Headers, Cams and Cats for under $20K. Vadim also advised against taking this risk but Jessie says this is an easy slam dunk with 100% success rate putting out 700hp. He now owns www.Gintani.com. This E55K motor has less than 600 miles on it according to Jessie.

I don't see how anyone can 100% guarantee you 700hp with the E55K setup (as described in your post). Just look at the W211 E55 forum. Is ANYONE (with a modified M113K motor) making 700hp? I don't think anyone is - and there are some awesome projects ongoing.

Someone who is as determined as you should scrap all of this current project while your motor is still functional. Get yourself an E63 (or C63) and explore the TT possibilities.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp

Is your S/C kit still 4 sale?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
so you are saying that 700 hp is not possible i beg to differ. I heard gintani finished a ported head,supercharger, and some special hardware and tuning on the SLR and it made another 90 horse at the wheels on the dyno. I think they may know something other companies may not know or is beyond their knowledge at the end of the day their work is very high end custom.

also sir take notes as the new 722 Slr is over 700 hp