How to totally disable ESP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by jgsx
I don't see how you guys get by without an LSD. Sure, tires made a HUGE difference, but even with nice rubber, without an LSD I was not able to lay my power down below 30mph. ESP would take away the fun EVERY time. I usually mash the pedal from a slow roll, and that just wasn't going to happen with an open diff.
Hey jgsx:

I DO NOT have a LSD diff, and with my ESP off at Beaver run road course, I NEVER had any one wheel donuts, or problems. Frankly, I was VERY surprised at how well the car came out of corners with my foot to the floor, and PULLING, just about everything on the track. YEAH, I would KILL to have a true LSD, but it seems to me, and I have almost two decades at the track now, that our toys are VERY good, even with an open diff.

I am still thinking about the LSD for next season, and I have aproached, Auborn and other compaines about our issues. I will keep you guys posted as the Quaffi is RIDICULOUSLY over priced in MHO for a simple posi.

Yeah, you are right that tires alone will NOT cure this issue, but they do help ALOT!

See yeah
Old 11-04-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32 AMG sold!
Originally Posted by 1FSTAMG
Do you have an LSD? If you did, it WOULD make you faster at the track. No ESP to apply the brakes or torque managment and no one wheel peel. Just all the power applied to both wheels.
Thank you Captain Obvious I was stating that to open diff C32 owners.
Unless you forked out $3,000+ for a diff, chances are you don't have LSD.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG - RIP :(
we can't read your mind to know you were only talking to c32 owners without an LSD.

Last edited by 1FSTAMG; 11-04-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:58 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey jgsx:

I DO NOT have a LSD diff, and with my ESP off at Beaver run road course, I NEVER had any one wheel donuts, or problems. Frankly, I was VERY surprised at how well the car came out of corners with my foot to the floor, and PULLING, just about everything on the track. YEAH, I would KILL to have a true LSD, but it seems to me, and I have almost two decades at the track now, that our toys are VERY good, even with an open diff.

I am still thinking about the LSD for next season, and I have aproached, Auborn and other compaines about our issues. I will keep you guys posted as the Quaffi is RIDICULOUSLY over priced in MHO for a simple posi.

Yeah, you are right that tires alone will NOT cure this issue, but they do help ALOT!

See yeah
Old 11-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Quaife makes bulletproof units, lifetime guaranteed even in racing apps.

One of the few aftermarket items I can say is truly worth the money. YMMV.

You are right about tires. They are by far the best bang for the buck that nobody thinks about. I picked up around twelve seconds at RoadAmerica in a G35, with the only change being Avon R-comps.

VIDEO 1

VIDEO 2

Last edited by ChicagoX; 11-04-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=ChicagoX;2486872]Quaife makes bulletproof units, lifetime guaranteed even in racing apps.

You are right about tires. They are by far the best bang for the buck that nobody thinks about. I picked up around twelve seconds at RoadAmerica in a G35, with the only change being Avon R-comps.

Hey ChicagoX:

COOL videos, yeah like the old saying goes TIRES win races. I can't tell you how many cars I have smoked on and off the track because they were running garbage for tires. I really like the old school cars that have 500+ HP and then run a tire made in the sixties That one never stops me from laughing.

Oh yeah, I know the Quaife is a GOOD unit, but come on $1800 for a posi I have used numerouse other brands on the track with bulletproof results for about a sixth of theirs. Oh well, maybe I am just too cheap

See yeah
Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=ChicagoX;2486872]Quaife makes bulletproof units, lifetime guaranteed even in racing apps.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, Try a set of Bridgestone 050 PP's. I passed MANY R-type tired cars at beaver run with them and they REALLY hook up well on the street. They are also rated at 140 treadware, which is the SCCA's minimum for street tire class racing

On a side not, if you have to be the fastest you can, I used to run Kumho Victorracers on the street in my stang. I would get about 1800-2200 miles out of them, with 1 or 2 road races per year. At about $150.00 each, this was just fine for me cause I only took out my beast for fun days

See yeah
Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question Diff

Ok where can you get Diff cheaper I want to know please.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by c32used
Ok where can you get Diff cheaper I want to know please.
Hey c32used:

Right now, you can't. But I am working on the issue cause there is no way in h_ll I will spend $2000 for a posi and another $500 for install.
I have approached other QUALITY manufacturers about this isuue and they are looking into what fits what, ie can one unit work in multiple MB's. I'll keep you posted as to what pans out my friend.

See yeah

PS: Did you get your pullies used?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Hey c32used:

Right now, you can't. But I am working on the issue cause there is no way in h_ll I will spend $2000 for a posi and another $500 for install.
I have approached other QUALITY manufacturers about this isuue and they are looking into what fits what, ie can one unit work in multiple MB's. I'll keep you posted as to what pans out my friend.

See yeah

PS: Did you get your pullies used?

Thanks please keep us posted!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 PM

C32 AMG
What he said.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:27 AM

c230
Originally Posted by neihouma
Disabling the ESP isn't gonna make your car run any faster, I've tried this
at the drag strip already. Look at car#5140
I know this is an old post but your slips with dyno mode shows your 60ft times are greater vs esp on which tells how much you spun which mean you are giving the car too much throttle.

That isn't a good comparison of getting the best time.

Last edited by MidShipCivic; 10-19-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 AM

2002 C32 AMG
For people on a budget, the Phantom Grip is a very popular limited slip system. If you seriously track your car, you will probably want a clutch type set-up, but for the rest of us, a $500 unit should suffice. Now if we can only get Phantom Grip to build one for us. They already build one for the SLK32/SRT6. I think someone on this board spoke with them and mentioned that Phantom would build us one if we can send in a donor diff. I have one in the garage; I wonder if it's decent enough for them to use.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
pshek has a phantom grip lsd in his c32 swap. you should ask him. It definately paid off in our canyon run
Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
For people on a budget, the Phantom Grip is a very popular limited slip system. If you seriously track your car, you will probably want a clutch type set-up, but for the rest of us, a $500 unit should suffice. Now if we can only get Phantom Grip to build one for us. They already build one for the SLK32/SRT6. I think someone on this board spoke with them and mentioned that Phantom would build us one if we can send in a donor diff. I have one in the garage; I wonder if it's decent enough for them to use.

I am game for one as well. Beats the hell out of a $1,500 Quaife that takes another $1000 or more to install as well. Not that the quaife is bad, BUT I have heard good things about the Phantom Grip. In fact, they say if you can live without your car for a week, you can send down the diff, they will install it and all you have to do is bolt it back into the car??
Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/B]

I am game for one as well. Beats the hell out of a $1,500 Quaife that takes another $1000 or more to install as well. Not that the quaife is bad, BUT I have heard good things about the Phantom Grip. In fact, they say if you can live without your car for a week, you can send down the diff, they will install it and all you have to do is bolt it back into the car??
Yeah, that's what I did. Sent the open diff to phantom grip and had them install their lsd. Paid about $600 total including shipping. Took 2 months to get back though, and I was worried sick the whole time, like what if UPS loses my stock diff? So far, it's working okay. I had the Quaife on my car for a few miles and I preferred the Quaife since it pulled harder and that 40lb posi is bulletproof. Unitrax put a ring gear on a Quaife and had to redrill the bolt pattern; they said it was a ***** to machine the metal. I think the Quaife works better. Had to take the Quaife out because it would see the different gear ratio (went from 3.27 stock to 3.06), and go into limp mode. No fun. I still have the Quaife LSD installed in my C32 case. I even bought an old relic R129 diff that had 3.27 210mm gears. I might try to install the ring and pinion set from the R129 into my C32 case. Except that I would need to find someone with the right tools to do the swap and make sure it has the right amount of backlash, etc.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by pshek
. Had to take the Quaife out because it would see the different gear ratio (went from 3.27 stock to 3.06), and go into limp mode. No fun. I .
Hey pshek:

Just what do you mean by this my friend? I mean, what limp mode are you talking about here. Certainly not the ECU from your car. I can't imagine the posi"Quaife" could care less what gear it is attached to as it is after the fact. Could you please, explain alittle bit.

THANKS!!!

see yeah
Old 10-20-2008, 02:26 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Hey pshek:

Just what do you mean by this my friend? I mean, what limp mode are you talking about here. Certainly not the ECU from your car. I can't imagine the posi"Quaife" could care less what gear it is attached to as it is after the fact. Could you please, explain alittle bit.

THANKS!!!

see yeah
+1

I have thought about doing the opposite and loading the differential with the 3.27 gearset (rather than the C32's stock 3.07 gears).
Old 10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
+1

I have thought about doing the opposite and loading the differential with the 3.27 gearset (rather than the C32's stock 3.07 gears).
I'm with you. I would GLADLY give up a little top end, for more off the line punch ANYDAY

See yeah
Old 10-20-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Hey pshek:

THANKS!!!

see yeah
My car came with a 3.27 gear ratio stock in a smaller diff than the C32's 3.06 diff. Quaife only makes an LSD for the big 210 and bigger 215 axles. I put in the big C32 210 diff+Quaife with the 3.06 gears. TCU sensed the different wheelspeeds and put the car into limp mode (P0730 incorrect gear ratio). Whatever programming I tried didn't work. So I have to make do with the Phantom Grip while I work on the R&P swap.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by pshek
My car came with a 3.27 gear ratio stock in a smaller diff than the C32's 3.06 diff. Quaife only makes an LSD for the big 210 and bigger 215 axles. I put in the big C32 210 diff+Quaife with the 3.06 gears. TCU sensed the different wheelspeeds and put the car into limp mode (P0730 incorrect gear ratio). Whatever programming I tried didn't work. So I have to make do with the Phantom Grip while I work on the R&P swap.
Thanks for the clarification pshek

Its good info my friend as I was sure that the quaife itself could not throw a code, nor could it care whatever gear ratio you were using.

See yeah