Does your suspension squeak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Does your suspension squeak?

When you get out of your car do you hear your springs (?) suspension creaking?

Mine does and I just find it odd.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:52 AM
dfc

03' C32, 98' Civic EX
YEs

Mine does, and when i go over bumps or pot holes, or sometimes when I am making a really sharp turn at very low speed, I could hear the squeak. Very annoynig indeed, but non deters the car from performing. Dealer told me I can get it fixed When I am doing my scheduled maintenance, which is planned at 5000miles.

To Frank (if you read this string): I noticed else where you posted that you have your 32 aligned once in a while? Is that a necessary task to do? Did you have the dealer align it for you? Thanks

DFC's C32
Old 11-08-2002, 01:26 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Re: YEs

Originally posted by dfc
Mine does, and when i go over bumps or pot holes, or sometimes when I am making a really sharp turn at very low speed, I could hear the squeak. Very annoynig indeed, but non deters the car from performing. Dealer told me I can get it fixed When I am doing my scheduled maintenance, which is planned at 5000miles.

To Frank (if you read this string): I noticed else where you posted that you have your 32 aligned once in a while? Is that a necessary task to do? Did you have the dealer align it for you? Thanks

DFC's C32
how u know i'd be reading this thread...

anyway, I had the dealer did the alignment because i have the problem of the front tires wearing much faster on the outer edge of the car. For MB, i don't think it's necessary to do alignment, unless you had changed the rims, etc. The dealer didn't charge anything for the alignment because i filed it under the cause for the uneven wearing of front tires.

btw, the squeak i heard, originally i thought it was the front suspension, but it is in fact coming from my driver's seat's spring.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
Tire wear

I had the dealer align the car twice b/c of excessive hunting and pulling to the right. After the first alignment I complained b/c the cross-caster was out of spec. After the second alignment they told me they tech did some "tricks" and that the car was w/in spec. I asked for a copy of the alignment and they said they forgot to print it. Yeah, right.

Now at 8K the outside edges of my tires are pretty bad. They look like they have been autocrossed.

I really do not want to destroy my new snow so I will probably be bringing the car to my alignment guy w/the 4 caster/camber bolt kits I have and see what we can do to dial-in the car.

He did wonders w/my E36M3 and made it handle and stick better than any factor alignment.

Last edited by S_C32AMG; 11-09-2002 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:43 PM
dfc

03' C32, 98' Civic EX
I am totally clueless about alignment issues. So, if I start to see even tire wears, and/or if I changed rims, it's be wise to get it aligned right? What do I tell the mechanic? "Just align this thing?" Are there any specs where I can follow for a correct alignment?

Enlighten the peasant... save another C32 from incorrectly operating.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:05 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
I always align my car when I buy new tires. At 1K a set (summer tires) it's well worth it.

I have been told that the MB in general wear the outside of front tires. Which is why I bought the bolts. I am hoping to dial out some camber.

To find a place start here http://hunter.com/ and look on the site or call your region rep. (what I did) and ask for shop recommendations, that know what they are doing. My rep gave me three names.

The first place was spic and span and the guy tells me, hey don't step across the yellow line. Then I tell him I want to dial in some negative camber. His reply is there is no such thing as negative camber you can only remove camber or something thing like that. Whatever, potato, patoto, I'm out of here.

At the third recommendation the shop is disaster. The guy is building his son a drag racing GTO and tells me not to trip over the crap on the floor as he shows me around. Then when I made the appointment he brings me over to the rack and shows me what he is doing, why he is doing it and actually teaches me. When I asked if we should be looking at what the Hunter computer recommends for aligning the M3 he looks at me and says "Why?" I know what I want to do. Guess I made a face b/c he says...OK, lets see what it says. Hunter says 12 degrees, I want to put it at 10, what do you want. After that I left him alone, he obviously knew what he was doing.

He also use to race in SCCA and told me that now that the car is set-up we did not need to tweak the alignment until I came back w/tire temps. Then he could decide what to do next.

My other M3 friends now drive down from NYC to have this guy align their cars.

HTH.

Last edited by S_C32AMG; 11-09-2002 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:43 PM

2002 C240 Classic
Re: Tire wear

Originally posted by S_C32AMG
I had the dealer align the car twice b/c of excessive hunting and pulling to the right. After the first alignment I complained b/c the cross-caster was out of spec. After the second alignment they told me they tech did some "tricks" and that the car was w/in spec. I asked for a copy of the alignment and they said they forgot to print it. Yeah, right.

Now at 8K the outside edges of my tires are pretty bad. They look like they have been autocrossed.

I really do not want to destroy my new snow so I will probably be bringing the car to my alignment guy w/the 4 caster/camber bolt kits I have and see what we can do to dial-in the car.

He did wonders w/my E36M3 and made it handle and stick better than any factor alignment.
did you say that you have caster/camber bolts??? are these supposed to correct your camber, because i was unaware there were any ways of doing this as opposed to re-alignment?
Old 11-10-2002, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
There is only so much "negative" camber that can be dialed in with a simple realignment.