C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Laser, may be very bad news for hotfoot's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 02:00 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laser, may be very bad news for hotfoot's

I posted this elsewhere but I believe it got lost in the wash.

Yesterday I got lucky, doing an open 45 mph expressway at about 65-70. Look up to see a group of cops pointing in my direction about 1/4 mile ahead. So I slow it down to maybe 50. Detector never lit up. As I go by I realize THREE of them had what looked like "radar" guns aimed! But, not even a beep from by detector! One of the cops even grinned at me as I went by. Nobody pulled out. They were city cops demo-ing several NEW laser guns I believe. They had me cold, just were busy having fun/testing I suppose.

Now wouldn't you would think that a 6 month old BEL980 would flinch? This detector has laser too. Three of them shot me from a long distance, so there must have been laser all over my car, and I had nothing but the visual of them. They all had hand-held guns so there is no way they can hold them on your "plate" from 1/4 mile.

Otherwise, this detector has been flawless and I was very satisfied with it. It has never missed before. The Bel is set as sensitive as it can be. No, I don't think a Valentine 1 would have seen it either. If I thought a V1 would have caught this I would have placed an order today.

This is an upscale town that makes a lot of revenue from radar. They were one of the first in CA to get camera-based tickets set up. Them getting laser would be expected. So this means that they will now be able to get you basically unnoticed.

Be careful, those guns will be a nightmare when the general police populace gets them. Most C32 tickets will be quite expensive.

Any other laser experiences?
Old 11-13-2002, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think if one doesnt get a ticket during his C32 ownership, he has not pushed his car to the fullest extent!!!

Just when I was cruising on a bridge the other day, there was a senior ahead of me who was doing 20mph on a fast lane. I gave him a couple of high beamers but he didnt respond. So I overtook him, as I stepped on my gas pedal, my Passport 8500 was beeping like crazy and the readout says "Laser". Too late!!! I was gunned already. 65mph on a 35mph zone. I cant feel my car is going that "fast", I really thought I was just doing 50 or so. There goes US$120.

I think when comes to Laser, no radar can detect them (yet!!). As soon as you hear the radar screaming, you're dead already.

Last edited by Harris; 11-13-2002 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:29 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
Doesnt matter what detector you have...

by the time laser tags you, youre toast. You have no time to react so the only things out there are the shifters. Passport has one and it looks very slick but very expensive. It works with the 8500 for full protection or there is a built in unit that is about 1500. The shifter is about 800 or so. So no matter what detector you could have had, you still would have been busted if they wanted to get you. Must have been your lucky day.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG Orion Blue Charcoal/Blue
vinman is right...

If you get the laser you're probably already toast. My V1 does pick up the laser and it's a scary warning knowing luck needs to be on your side.

I was turning on to a wide two lane the other night and started some hard accelerarion and hear/see the V1 light up loud and bright. I hit the brakes hard and thought I was burned. I looked ahead and saw a black unmarked with no lights sitting in the median. I frantically take down the V1 and roll slowly by the cop car. To my suprise he did not pull out.

I don't suppose my braking could have any effect on the speed he clocked. Maybe I just hadn't got rolling fast enough when he hit me. Good thing he was early because my foot was to the floor when the V1 went off.

Be careful out there...
Old 11-13-2002, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally posted by Harris
I think if one doesnt get a ticket during his C32 ownership, he has not pushed his car to the fullest extent!!!
I've reached the speed governor with no tickets/arrests to show for it

I have received tickets in other cars though...
Old 11-13-2002, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by JustinTRW
I've reached the speed governor with no tickets/arrests to show for it

I have received tickets in other cars though...
Which means there are still rooms for your C32 to push further!!

Just kidding! Safety First!!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Hehe.

Maybe the price of the ticket is not enough to make me think twice, but the increase in insurance is....
Old 11-14-2002, 01:58 AM
rrf

Some warning any warning

Yes what Carl said, is what I expected, just SOME warning.
It can be a lot worse when you are mashing the pedal into the mess.

The BEL was dead, if I hadn't SEEN the coppers, I could have easily been going 100 in no time. Then they would have had to drop their donuts and inspect my ride, and the stains in my underwear.

Maybe V1 shopping soon. I think my wife's RX300 needs a Bel980, Christmas? I think I still have the box, ha ha.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:27 AM

Schrempps C 32 AMG
Most of those detectors aren´t working in germany. The police is not only using laserguns here. There are about 4 options how to get you. The biggest problem is a thing called "lichtschranke". It´s hidden in the grass and it´s a very small optical speed computer.
But speeding in germany isn´t as expensive as in the US. For example:
When you drive in the city the regular speed limit is about 50 km/h. You can drive faster till u reach 71 km/h. If they catch you under 21 km/h above the speed limit you only get a ticket for max. 50 Euro. If you are above the 21 km/h the police will take your driving licence for one month.

One more example:
Spped limit outside the city: 60
Friend of me was driving: 320 (with yamaha R1 motorcycle)
Consequense: 250 Euro speeding ticket and 6 months without driving licence.

Don´t drive and drink! The C 32 sets too much adrenaline free. You won´t be able to drink...
Old 11-14-2002, 10:44 AM

rrf,

What expressway in which city did this happen?
Old 11-14-2002, 11:41 AM
rrf

San Tomas Exp, Campbell, CA
Campbell cops, not the usual CHP, CHP has real jurisdiction over the San Tomas.

----

Most CHP are still radar around here, except Highway 17 to Santa Cruz is CHP laser (and radar). On 17 a friend got lasered and was picked out of a pack of cars, ...ouch.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:40 PM

2002 C32 brilliant silver, nav
K40 lazer defuser

Just yesterday I pulled out of the subdivision onto a 4 lane. I know they radar it alot but we had a new guy out there in a white Camara parked in the median about a mile up the road. I was about a mile from the house in the front of a line of cars. I was running about 65 in a 45 when my Valentine 1 went crazy and the lazer defuser in my front grill caught the signal simultaneously. I know this because the K40 Lazer Defusers has a audible and visual alarm mounted in a 1/16" prox LED light mounted in a dead button above my Command system. I geared down and the cop walked out as I was driving by. He let me go but pulled over the line of cars behind me. At least 2 or three cars. I thought he was pulling me over but he didn't. He waved me by and stepped out immediatly as I was passed him. There is no way he missed me except that my K40 gave him a bad or false signal so he hit the next car which was no more than 30 feet behind me. The Valentine 1 had the signal but not in time to avoid the Lazer. It was The K40 Lazer defuser that saved my butt this time. They work very well at least for the existing Lazer Technology here in Georgia. Check these guys out at www.k40.com

Last edited by buddywhite; 11-14-2002 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:59 PM
rrf

Buddy V1 and K40

Now, that's what I'm talking about!

Are V1 and K40 tightly integrated or separate?
Your K40 is in the grill?
Old 11-14-2002, 08:22 PM

2002 C32 brilliant silver, nav
No, they are not integrated. You can get the K40 Radar detector and the K40 lazer defuser and they will work together, I had it that way, but I like the Valentine 1 better than the k40 detector. I now have K40 lazer defuser and the V1 separately hard wired. The defuser is mounted on the wire mesh insert in the lower grill, the led light and audio mount in a dead switch in the dash board. Its all in a little 1/16" round led light. Real neat install. If your state requires a front license plate, the K40 lazer defuser is actually integrated into a front license plate holder. I highly recommend it. It has saved me lots.