C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

does anybody here have this intake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RENNtech C32 AMG
Originally Posted by DCarrera
Good heavens.. that's what I thought I saw too.

RED ALERT!! RED ALERT!!
you know, theres nothing wrong with a foam filter. HKS has been making them for years, for many turbo cars like 1000 + hp Toyota Supra.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:33 PM

05 CLK55
Just curios if any one went on to do this or tried it out??
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by calimax
you know, theres nothing wrong with a foam filter. HKS has been making them for years, for many turbo cars like 1000 + hp Toyota Supra.

Except the fact that the HKS filters don't filter worth a damn.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
I'm trying a variation...

The first pic shows fitting and the second is completed. Sorry for the quality of the second pic. It was taken with a cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails does anybody here have this intake?-intake1.jpg   does anybody here have this intake?-intake2.jpg  
Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Since the pip is still taped on, is this a prototype? Would think this kit make our SC 100% times louder !!! There is a way to lower the temps on those intake pip, i been doing it to my RACE hondas for years.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by SteveL

The first pic shows fitting and the second is completed. Sorry for the quality of the second pic. It was taken with a cell phone.

SteveL I can't say I am a fan of the look....without the original engine cover and airboxes it takes the beasuty away...
Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 AM

Yeah I'm not crazy about the look myself but thank goodness we don't drive with the hood up. But seriously, I'm more interested in the gain than the look and the setup allows for a quick swap back to stock. The Needswing intake isn't the most beautiful thing either. I thought about going with SL55 airboxes but I'm hoping for better gains with this set up.

Originally Posted by c32used
SteveL I can't say I am a fan of the look....without the original engine cover and airboxes it takes the beasuty away...

Last edited by SteveL; 04-17-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:24 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG

Not to bad looking. From an airflow standpoint I would put a plate/shroud that contours the back of the filter so that you are feeding cooler air from the front of the car into the system vs. warmer air from the back side.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
Since the pip is still taped on, is this a prototype? Would think this kit make our SC 100% times louder !!! There is a way to lower the temps on those intake pip, i been doing it to my RACE hondas for years.
I think the first pic is the prototype and the second cell-phone pic (with the piping welded, and polished or coated) is the final set-up.

SteveL, you've done a ton to your SLK (custom headers, custom intake, custom LSD) - thanks for keeping the rest of us in the loop Out of curiosity, what kind of rwhp is your car putting down these days?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I think the first pic is the prototype and the second cell-phone pic (with the piping welded, and polished or coated) is the final set-up.
Correct. The first pic was just for fitment.

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
SteveL, you've done a ton to your SLK (custom headers, custom intake, custom LSD) - thanks for keeping the rest of us in the loop Out of curiosity, what kind of rwhp is your car putting down these days?
Indeed, a lot of changes. On 91 octane we are at 360 rwhp but I am currently having the headers redone. While the originals looked good in pictures and given the constraint of needing to be bolt on, there was no collector. There was a gain but only 10 hp. We think with adding a collector, no small feat in the SLK, we can improve flow and power. the current design just had too much restriction without a collector. So with the redesigned header and intake I'm hoping for 375 rwhp on 91 which I think is close to the max with a 178 mm pulley.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Correct. The first pic was just for fitment.

Indeed, a lot of changes. On 91 octane we are at 360 rwhp but I am currently having the headers redone. While the originals looked good in pictures and given the constraint of needing to be bolt on, there was no collector. There was a gain but only 10 hp. We think with adding a collector, no small feat in the SLK, we can improve flow and power. the current design just had too much restriction without a collector. So with the redesigned header and intake I'm hoping for 375 rwhp on 91 which I think is close to the max with a 178 mm pulley.

So is this item R&D ? is it going to be on the market soon ? or this is some sort of personal project your aiming for. I love it cant go wrong with 10 HP.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1qikctr
So is this item R&D ? is it going to be on the market soon ? or this is some sort of personal project your aiming for. I love it cant go wrong with 10 HP.
I guess you could call it R&D. Vadim came up with the design. It is custom but I'm sure more could be made. However it would be different in a C32.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:11 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I guess you could call it R&D. Vadim came up with the design. It is custom but I'm sure more could be made. However it would be different in a C32.
i asked vadim about it. there's no room to adapt this to the C.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:12 PM

2002 SL500 SL2
Originally Posted by calimax
I can see how this would be a good improvement on the N/A motor with the more restrictive baffeled box, but anyone who would think this can benefit a S/C motor, seriously needs to re-think what they're spending their $$ on. Restrictions in air flow before the S/C from most factory intakes are not an issue. It's the flow of air after the S/C that will have an effect on the motor. And nobody chime in on the intake temp being affected either please! The last thing anybody should worry about, is the temp befor the forced induction!. Heck most all manufacturers make their vehicles with cold air intakes from the factory, their just more turbulent because of all the resonance chambers for the sound deadening. Just remember this one thing, MB has been making ram cold air intakes for decades now. Yay for a N/A, Hell No for F/I
I know this is an older post, but I just had to chime in on this. This guy obviously has NO idea what he's talking about. I got 31 Wheel Horsepower with just this intake. What a tool... That is about the most self-assured ignorant thing I've read in a long time.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Originally Posted by NeverEnough
I know this is an older post, but I just had to chime in on this. This guy obviously has NO idea what he's talking about. I got 31 Wheel Horsepower with just this intake. What a tool... That is about the most self-assured ignorant thing I've read in a long time.
I agree, this intake set up is going to be my next mod for sure.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Srt-6 Crossfire
I built my own intake for my SRT-6 and it works/sounds great. I used some 3" aluminum intercooler piping, cut to fit then powdercoated. I also have the AEM dryflo filter, which is nice because it does not require oil. The needswings is dyno proven piece and you can't go wrong. I just chose to do it on my own.

Last edited by SRTpowa; 04-18-2008 at 09:33 PM.