C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

does anybody here have this intake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SLK 32 AMG
does anybody here have this intake?

does anybody have this intake on there 32. it's says that they made gains on this intake.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by amgstyle

does anybody have this intake on there 32. it's says that they made gains on this intake.
Is that the NeedsWings intake setup? Haven't read about any C32 owners trying it out. Judging by the posts in the X-fire forum it appears to work wonders!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
I can see how this would be a good improvement on the N/A motor with the more restrictive baffeled box, but anyone who would think this can benefit a S/C motor, seriously needs to re-think what they're spending their $$ on. Restrictions in air flow before the S/C from most factory intakes are not an issue. It's the flow of air after the S/C that will have an effect on the motor. And nobody chime in on the intake temp being affected either please! The last thing anybody should worry about, is the temp befor the forced induction!. Heck most all manufacturers make their vehicles with cold air intakes from the factory, their just more turbulent because of all the resonance chambers for the sound deadening. Just remember this one thing, MB has been making ram cold air intakes for decades now. Yay for a N/A, Hell No for F/I
Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

TVT Design offers one for the N/A, but that's besides the point.
I have to disagree about a properly flowing intake not helping forced induction. I know K&N got something ridiculous like 54HP from their Cobra kit.

How can the supercharger suck enough air if the tube can't support the flow. By using your logic, yo would ge the same power by running it through a straw...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 PM
SPONSOR

this intake will not fit on the C32, there is not enough room...
Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
My apology's, I should have said, anyone who would think this intake can benefit this S/C motor, seriously needs to re-think what they're spending their $$ on. I also said, Restrictions in air flow before the S/C from most factory intakes are not an issue. (Not all!)
Wouldn't that same logic that you say I'm thinking, be said true about this intake set up?? The factory MB intake has 2 intake tubes split off from the T/B. This intake setup has only Half the amount of air going to the T/B and the I/D of that intake tube does not look like the two sides combined! As for K&N's Cobra intake, was that a Advertisement by K&N, or 3rd party testing? If that wasn't exaggerated advertising, Holy crap!, Short of holding your hand over the T/B that must have been one hell of a restrictive intake!

Last edited by calimax; 01-08-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
I believe there is a forum member adapting this to fit the C32 but I won't give anymore hints...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Reducing the upstream inlet temperature will result in a 1:1 reduction in IATs in an otherwise properly functioning heat exchanger circuit. Link.

My reservation with that setup is its reduction in filter media surface area and the likelihood of increased restriction. That, and the fact it will not fit the C32.

*edit*
It may work on your SLK32
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 AM

2002 SLK 32 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
Reducing the upstream inlet temperature will result in a 1:1 reduction in IATs in an otherwise properly functioning heat exchanger circuit. Link.

My reservation with that setup is its reduction in filter media surface area and the likelihood of increased restriction. That, and the fact it will not fit the C32.

*edit*
It may work on your SLK32
thanks guys. wat if it did fit the c32 would this be a good mod or would the sl 55 intake be better??
Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
thanks guys. wat if it did fit the c32 would this be a good mod or would the sl 55 intake be better??
Well SC and Turbos love air so there is a possibillity it will be better but the C32 who knows pretty sure someone will chime in if this was adapted to our C32 if it will work better then the full SL55 setup.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:49 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
I absolutely agree with your statement in all cases. The Kenne Bell link you provided, is referring to what was commonly known in the recent years as a Short Ram / POP Charger intake. That theory is 100% correct and that was a stupid intake that was marketed. I truly believe that style of intake was marketed out to kids who wanted to "hear" their car (seemingly go faster) However, were not talking about creating an increase in IAT's through one of these intakes. I guess I should have considered other avenues of intake designs, before I made that quote above, but I was secretly hoping nobody was dumb enough to raise the AIT's in any car, let alone a Forced induction motor such as ours that suffer enough as is! Simply, I meant in a case like ours, the temp of the air going in with factory intake in place, or even aftermarket cold air, such as this single tube style, any small reduction in AIT will not create any realistic benefit to the air that will directly and immediately be increased tremendously, via S/C or Turbo before it goes into the motor. Cooling after the charge, is where it will benifit the motor most. That would be why intercoolers are so popular. BTW Nitrous or Methy/water spray, does not count as a small decrease in temp.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:57 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
oops, I guess you took my quote out. To clarify for others, Quoted from me by Splinter; "The last thing anybody should worry about, is the temp before the forced induction!" Just clarifying so I don't look crazy!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
this intake will not fit on the C32, there is not enough room...
+1

even tho I have a C230 I've thought about and tried doing this. Did not work not enough room. Stock is better
Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Originally Posted by benz_addict
+1

even tho I have a C230 I've thought about and tried doing this. Did not work not enough room. Stock is better
Yeah, the new V6 C230 would be better off with the stock piping due to it's size, but with a box like the Renntech, nice and smooth inside and in CF! Now if this were on the 4cyl C230K replacing the stock pipe was an improvement.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 PM

Crossfire SRT-6
I put this one on my SRT-6. On the dyno it gained 30hp to the wheels.
It's from BDJ's Racing in Texas.

http://www.bdjsracing.com/
Attached Thumbnails does anybody here have this intake?-mvc-020f.jpg  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by The Toy

It looks cool but without the airboxes it looks well.....plain.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG

Kind of hard to see what filter they are using and what the pleate configuration it is in that set-up. Do you have a direct link to it you can post here??
Old 01-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Crossfire SRT-6
This link is from the Crossfire site, but it shows alot more pics of his intake. I'm sure if someone stopped by his shop he could get one fitted up.
http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=20139
Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 AM

MB
I do. It works great too! As a matter of fact Rob at Needswings (the manufacture of this intake) is looking for some SLK32 owners to try it out. Here is the link to the thread.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=20835

Originally Posted by calimax
My apology's, I should have said, anyone who would think this intake can benefit this S/C motor, seriously needs to re-think what they're spending their $$ on. I also said, Restrictions in air flow before the S/C from most factory intakes are not an issue. (Not all!)
Wouldn't that same logic that you say I'm thinking, be said true about this intake set up?? The factory MB intake has 2 intake tubes split off from the T/B. This intake setup has only Half the amount of air going to the T/B and the I/D of that intake tube does not look like the two sides combined! As for K&N's Cobra intake, was that a Advertisement by K&N, or 3rd party testing? If that wasn't exaggerated advertising, Holy crap!, Short of holding your hand over the T/B that must have been one hell of a restrictive intake!
The dyno results speak for themselves.

http://www.needswings.com/ProductDet...?productID=571

I'm just shocked that you can't see how a forced induction engine wouldn't benefit from a more efficient intake system. You need to let that air pump breathe. I can't tell you how many magazine articles and car TV shows that I have seen in my life where they post gains by swapping out the restrictive OEM intake system for an aftermarket unit such as this.

Don't take my word for it either.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ght=needswings

Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Damn...I guess I'll have to be the one to order it for testing.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32

Evosport prototyped one like that on their C32 and it lost HP All that engine heat entering the filters can't be beneficial.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
Kind of hard to see what filter they are using and what the pleate configuration it is in that set-up. Do you have a direct link to it you can post here??
The intake with the dual filters looks like it's using a generic foam style filter, no pleats involved
Old 01-10-2008, 03:29 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Originally Posted by msheredy
I do. It works great too! As a matter of fact Rob at Needswings (the manufacture of this intake) is looking for some SLK32 owners to try it out. Here is the link to the thread.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=20835

The dyno results speak for themselves.

http://www.needswings.com/ProductDet...?productID=571

I'm just shocked that you can't see how a forced induction engine wouldn't benefit from a more efficient intake system. You need to let that air pump breathe. I can't tell you how many magazine articles and car TV shows that I have seen in my life where they post gains by swapping out the restrictive OEM intake system for an aftermarket unit such as this.

Don't take my word for it either.

Please don't be shocked! I absolutely understand how ANY intake that is restrictive, can benefit from a more free flowing design. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that air going through a cylinder vs factory boxes would be more efficient. After seeing the few happy customers in the SRT forums, it seems like a night and day difference for them! It only seems to me that an intake system cut in half would be more restrictive, but then factoring in the 2 panel filter boxes causing unnecessary turbulence, I can see where it should free up some power, I just never thought it would make up that much and then add that much more by cutting the intake in half!
That second intake with the dual filters seems like it would work better, but with the filters behind the grill like the first one. If either one works that well, 20hp for $500 would be worth it!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 AM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by calimax
The intake with the dual filters looks like it's using a generic foam style filter, no pleats involved
Good heavens.. that's what I thought I saw too.

RED ALERT!! RED ALERT!!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
you know, if it wasn't so damn ugly to do on our cars, I would scrap the intake altogether, and just run the pipe straight up through the hood, like a shaker hood, but with out the shaking.... You couldn't get more efficient than that, but it would look ugly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: does anybody here have this intake?