C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Twin-Turbo & Twin-Screw SCharged C55!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
If the price is right, I think spr might have an SC...
Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGSC
I got a detailed quote: 12K for engine rebuild with forged pistons and ported heads yielding a 9:1 CR and 450+rwhp. Time frame is 30 days. For another 10K (with R&D discount), a single turbo that will yield 650rwhp+ and another 30 days in the shop.

Which is the better deal? or should I just pass. I only have $20K maxxx I can spend on either trading up or modding up or else I will be paying more than that in divorce settlements. At this point, I don't think I can get enough for my car and mods + 20K to step up to even a CL65. My only consideration are the 600 Bi-Turbo models. So either I wait and drive my car as-is for another 6months to 1 year or I try to negotiate a TWIN-turbo SC or QUAD-turbo for $20K all in, 60 days commitment to finish and a warranty for engine replacement. Some Auto magazine is interested in doing a story on this also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to make a decision in a day or two max.

btw... I have a set of C55 stock wheels for sale at $1000 even. Flawless 18"s with Pirelli PZeros (Rears need to be replaced). Can ship without tires.

Also have a set of Brabus Monoblock S wheels for $150 each. Flawless 19"s

I like this plan. A single turbo blowing into the supercharger is less complex than a twin turbo'd twin charged system. The price, in my opinion, is very reasonable. To be honest I expected a twin charged system to cost twice this amount which wouldn't make any sense. The biggest concern with this type of system is going to be the parasitic loss of the supercharger. Are they confident that they can bypass the supercharger? If not, I'd avoid this system. How are they going to handle the additional heat? If all of these issues can be solved for $22k you have yourself one heck of a good deal. My twin cahrged system cost twice this which is the primary reason that I've been so negative when it comes to twin charging.

The ultimate would be ditching the supercharger and going with twin turbos. Even a single larger turbo is worth looking at. Remember, it's already difficult to get a decent launch on a stock E55 so is the additional low end torque really going to help or is it just going to go up in smoke? Ditching the supercharger is also easier on the drive train. However, if it increases the price I'd stick with the current plan. Remember, lag is over rated. The lag on a 5.5L single BB turbo'd engine is almost non existent with good tuning.

$22k for a built engine and turbo system makes keeping the C55 worth keeping.

In summary and in my opinion here's what I'd do:

1st choice: Twin turbos and built engine if the price point stays within the $22k budget.

2nd choice: Single BB turbo (GT35r?) and built engine if the price is less than $22k.

3rd choice: Twin charged (single turbo) and built engine if the budget on the above options does not work.

If you only go with the built engine you'll be craving more power within 6 months! Also, when you tire of a twin turbo or big single turbo'd set up you can give me a call as I'll buy it from you!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by G55K
I like this plan. A single turbo blowing into the supercharger is less complex than a twin turbo'd twin charged system. The price, in my opinion, is very reasonable. To be honest I expected a twin charged system to cost twice this amount which wouldn't make any sense. The biggest concern with this type of system is going to be the parasitic loss of the supercharger. Are they confident that they can bypass the supercharger? If not, I'd avoid this system. How are they going to handle the additional heat? If all of these issues can be solved for $22k you have yourself one heck of a good deal. My twin cahrged system cost twice this which is the primary reason that I've been so negative when it comes to twin charging.

The ultimate would be ditching the supercharger and going with twin turbos. Even a single larger turbo is worth looking at. Remember, it's already difficult to get a decent launch on a stock E55 so is the additional low end torque really going to help or is it just going to go up in smoke? Ditching the supercharger is also easier on the drive train. However, if it increases the price I'd stick with the current plan. Remember, lag is over rated. The lag on a 5.5L single BB turbo'd engine is almost non existent with good tuning.

$22k for a built engine and turbo system makes keeping the C55 worth keeping.

In summary and in my opinion here's what I'd do:

1st choice: Twin turbos and built engine if the price point stays within the $22k budget.

2nd choice: Single BB turbo (GT35r?) and built engine if the price is less than $22k.

3rd choice: Twin charged (single turbo) and built engine if the budget on the above options does not work.

If you only go with the built engine you'll be craving more power within 6 months! Also, when you tire of a twin turbo or big single turbo'd set up you can give me a call as I'll buy it from you!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Great feedback. I was able to get the total package including tax down to $20K including tuning, dynos, etc. The engine rebuild will include many more upgrades than what I listed such as oversized bearings, new valves, sleeves, throttle body, etc...plus a king sized turbo. If I pay a little more, I'd prefer them to bore it out to 6.0 litre and reinforced clutch packs, tranny, etc...

I'm still waiting on spr's referral about the guy with the TT C55. If it was successful then Vadim mentioned that a TT C55 would only cost about $7-8K max. So $18K total for a TT package with rebuilt/upgraded motor.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it cost way more than that. It uses SLR components
Old 02-21-2008, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
According to Vadim, there is really no room for a Bi-Turbo in a C55. I am waiting for clarification on whether he meant "if I don't remove the SC".

Part of his quote is listed below...

Stage I:

1. Engine rebuild with forged 9:1 CR pistons, new bearings and seals, 1 mm oversize stainless steel valves and ported HiFlow cylinder heads

Stage II:

1. Single GT4082 Turbo kit installed blowing into Kleemann supercharger

I think Garrett is the top brand but I'd really like the GT6041! Now that's power.

Last edited by AMGSC; 02-22-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Warning to all who buy used parts.

A bit of advice to all learned the hard way. Do not buy a used SC kit without checking on the integrity of the seller. First of all I paid this guy weeks ago and he never shipped the item until I called him everyday for over 2 weeks.

When the kit finally arrives, it was missing so many parts that I had to pay over $2500 to Kleemann to replace or VRP to fabricate. He promised me that the kit was complete and that everything shipped with the kit. When it arrived, 16 components were missing. I had to pay Kleemann $1900 for 6 items and VRP $600 for 10 other components. I called him everyday about the missing parts and he promised to send them. As of today, I STILL have not received them.

All I can say about him is that he is the GM at Motorwerks in Illinois and his initials are BM. Don't buy sh*t from this A*hole!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
LOL...you are only posting this now? I thought your car has been at VRP for the longest time.

good luck with the rear two cyclinder problem btw. heard what happened.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrankW
LOL...you are only posting this now? I thought your car has been at VRP for the longest time.

good luck with the rear two cyclinder problem btw. heard what happened.
Thank god I found out that that they were clogged with gunk from running too rich instead of damage from detonation. After adding some oil additive and waiting for the engine to warm up. The cylinder compression came back to the range of the other six. I guess Jessie set the tuning to run rich to protect himself in case the engine blew and now in hindsight he made the right decision for himself and me.

I think the car's been there for over 2 months now. THANKS TO Billy M!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
GM at Motorwerks in Illinois
Ah, you should have just asked me, I would have gladly pointed you away from those douches.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Ah, you should have just asked me, I would have gladly pointed you away from those douches.
I guess I should have checked with fellow forum members first. I can't believe he can possibly be a GM of a large dealership/tuner company and behave in such an unprofessional manner.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
A bit of advice to all learned the hard way. Do not buy a used SC kit without checking on the integrity of the seller. First of all I paid this guy weeks ago and he never shipped the item until I called him everyday for over 2 weeks.

When the kit finally arrives, it was missing so many parts that I had to pay over $2500 to Kleemann to replace or VRP to fabricate. He promised me that the kit was complete and that everything shipped with the kit. When it arrived, 16 components were missing. I had to pay Kleemann $1900 for 6 items and VRP $600 for 10 other components. I called him everyday about the missing parts and he promised to send them. As of today, I STILL have not received them.

All I can say about him is that he is the GM at Motorwerks in Illinois and his initials are BM. Don't buy sh*t from this A*hole!

if you paid with credit card, just file a charge back and claim it as fraud. Your bank will help you, especially if you file it when the transaction is recent, not a year from now.

Visa and mastercard favors the consumer when it comes to chargebacks.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002

Wow! That close to me! Which Motorwerks? Barrington or Hoffman Estate?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
dude....g55k is dead on. completely right.

id even venture one step further and say forget TT's altogether. no point...a properly sized bb turbo setup will be just fine.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp

Wow bro you have HARD Luck!!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Sorry to hear about your troubles again AMGSG. Unfortunately I also had experience with the b4stards at Motorwerks. The employees and management that I interacted with were dishonest and vengeful. This went all the way to the top. Stay away!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jgsx
Sorry to hear about your troubles again AMGSG. Unfortunately I also had experience with the b4stards at Motorwerks. The employees and management that I interacted with were dishonest and vengeful. This went all the way to the top. Stay away!
The latest scoop is that the HE that came with the kit leaks badly and needs to be replaced. Needs to be ordered from Denmark...More money and lost time.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
...More money and lost time.
Sorry to hear that AMGSC. I saw your car at VRP's shop. Cool ride, but dude, you also need to get some new tires!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The latest scoop is that the HE that came with the kit leaks badly and needs to be replaced. Needs to be ordered from Denmark...More money and lost time.
Got the Code 3 HE. It's huge compared to the Kleemann HE. Car is being custom tuned and should be ready to post my dynos early this coming week.

The turbo(s) blowing into the SC might be next.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G55K
I've done several one off type modifications including twin charging. If you're looking to try something different, just to be different, go for it.

However, if you're looking for a true performance car at the track than there is absolutely no advantage to quad turbos or a twin larged large displacement engine. A twin turbo system is by far the best way to go and will woop any of these one off concepts at the track. Spool is not an issue on a 5.5L engine with a BB turbo.

The additional weight, complexitiy, and parasitic loss of these systems make them far less effecient and effective than a good twin turbo system.

Here's my predicition: The quad turbo project and the twin charged project will not work as expected, will be a tuning nightmare, will not be reliable, and will not be any faster than a well built twin turbo'd vehicle. All of this for only three times the price!

Been there, done that, good luck and I hope that you have VERY deep pockets and lots and lots of patience. I have first hand experience and can promise that you're making a mistake.
So I heard Havoc's car is running now. So far so good it looks like. I'm next and hoping to drop a V12 quad turbo in there like Vic when his project is perfected. My car is running fine also but am waiting for the next major upgrade.

Last edited by AMGSC; 05-31-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 PM

07 SLK55, 08 R32
Any new news on the TT kit for the 5.4l NA engines?!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 PM

2005 C55 ////AMG
Old 01-15-2016, 01:08 AM

2005 Mercedes C55 AMG
Kleemann suoercharger still for sale?

I can still sell my Kleemann Twin-Screw if Vadim changes his mind. It's still got plenty of market value right? I also purchased the tiny 65mm Kleemann SC pulley to add another 2 lbs of boost.
I'm interested in your supercharger... How much do you want for it?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:09 PM

none... for now
Thread dates man, thread dates...
Old 01-17-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 116 Likes on 88 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Originally Posted by ///AchMeinGott
Thread dates man, thread dates...
It's only been 7 1/2 years, what's the problem?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
Originally Posted by Rylan
I'm interested in your supercharger... How much do you want for it?

I´ve got a kit for sale.

pm me.