C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Rear SRS Side Panel Removal - How to Remove?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Rear SRS Side Panel Removal - How to Remove?

Can someone please help me how to remvoe the SRS rear side panel?

My rear seatbelt seems do not retract smoothly back into the position. I may need to lubricte the mechanism. As far as I know, I have to remove the SRS plastic cap and unscrew a torx screw behind. The seat belt did not twist. I tried it last night but I do not know what is the proper procedures to remove the panel safely.

Please advise, thanks.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
The C-pillar paneling is easy enough to remove. Remove the lower seat cushion, the retaining screw, and gently pull the welting ‘edge guard’ free of its junction. Lower the seat back and pull the panel free.

Please use only the utmost critical reasoning when diagnosing why the belt is not properly finding its way home.

Two possible scenarios: 1) There is debris lodged in the panel that prevents the belt from retracing as intended. 2) The seat belt retractor defective.

If upon inspection you discover a gift deposited by a passenger, you will have found the source of the trouble. Please do not attempt to lubricate or otherwise meddle with the retractor. The ETRs are a very sophisticated and expensive part. Their proper function is imperative to realize all of MB’s designed-in safety and the extra margin of protection it provides the passenger they restrain in the event of a mishap. If the retractor is defective, address the problem with your dealership’s SA (or management, if nessesary) to replace the ETR under warranty, or for goodwill. Faulty occupant safety hardware has needlessly sacrificed lives and cost manufacturer’s millions in court. Appeal to their sensibilities to fix it ASAP.

Please let us know how you get this squared away.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Wow, your description and explanation are very detailed. Maybe, I better let the delaership to solve out the problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ultraman; 01-21-2008 at 01:07 AM.