New brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Yes I have seen a few E55 T's and even a E63 T. But no C class touring, the only model was a C240, not sure bout a C320.
Bif powel has a c320 4matic wagon...

They are definately rare, but im pretty sure Ive seen some on autotrader in the seattle area.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
well the NSX guys were getting a set of 4 for about $9k, so about 3k more then.
$9k, plus or minus a bit, is only for rotors and pads. No calipers. But yes, for all four corners - so if you're happy with the OEM brake size and calipers, they'll hook you up with carbon/ceramic rotors and the appropriate pads for about $9,500...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:35 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
$9k, plus or minus a bit, is only for rotors and pads. No calipers. But yes, for all four corners - so if you're happy with the OEM brake size and calipers, they'll hook you up with carbon/ceramic rotors and the appropriate pads for about $9,500...

mmm ok. I'd seriously be tempted to just get fronts. Then again, these brakes are almost worth more than the car is now haha
Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DarkXerox
mmm ok. I'd seriously be tempted to just get fronts. Then again, these brakes are almost worth more than the car is now haha
hahaha, +1

frankly, I think it's pretty amazing (and crazy) that someone could drop $25,000 on just wheels, tires, and brakes... the MOVIT carbon/ceramics definitely have that exotic "look" though.

While there tends to be pretty heated debate on the topic, I tend to believe that upgrading to any BBK is mainly for looks and/or bragging rights. You could upgrade the stock set-up (keeping the stock calipers) with cryo-treated rotors, EBC yellow-stuff pads, SS lines, and motul 600... total cost, all 4 corners, would probably be in the $1000-1500 range, and I'd bet you'd be hard-pressed to ever see ANY fade, street OR track... but some people just want BBKs, so if they're willing to pay for 'em, more power to them.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 AM

Location: Home is Stockholm, Sweden. But my work takes me around the world, right now I work/live in Laos, South East Asia.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 T 2003. Mods? MANY!! :)
Originally Posted by MIDO
They are 6390$ and I ordered it from

http://www.movit-scandinavia.com/en/default.asp

It's German made, and they are TUV approved, so you know it's good stuff.
Just got the bill, and it was 19% tax on that, and in €! It is 5295€= 7807$!! Well they will look good on the car anyway, so I'm going ahead with the order!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
hahaha, +1

frankly, I think it's pretty amazing (and crazy) that someone could drop $25,000 on just wheels, tires, and brakes... the MOVIT carbon/ceramics definitely have that exotic "look" though.

While there tends to be pretty heated debate on the topic, I tend to believe that upgrading to any BBK is mainly for looks and/or bragging rights. You could upgrade the stock set-up (keeping the stock calipers) with cryo-treated rotors, EBC yellow-stuff pads, SS lines, and motul 600... total cost, all 4 corners, would probably be in the $1000-1500 range, and I'd bet you'd be hard-pressed to ever see ANY fade, street OR track... but some people just want BBKs, so if they're willing to pay for 'em, more power to them.
it's not about if they fade when you stomp on them. it's about shedding 10+ lbs per rotor. less unsprung weight helps the handling, less rotational mass helps stop better, and they also don't fade as quick when I'm up in the hills.

no offense, but I've always find it funny to hear these comment coming from the stock crowd. It's like saying why a C32/55 AMG? You could've just bought the C230k. It has 4 wheels and it's a C-class. I'm sure you didn't buy the C32 for looks and bragging right.

Last edited by FrankW; 02-24-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:58 PM

C32
Originally Posted by MIDO
Just got the bill, and it was 19% tax on that, and in €! It is 5295€= 7807$!! Well they will look good on the car anyway, so I'm going ahead with the order!
Its a joy to be able to get something you really wanted. With the mods you have on your car, its worth it to have better brakes. I have be struggling with the AMG 6-4 and has never got enough spare dollars for it, not to mention your 7,800+ bill. Look forward to your new toy.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrankW
it's not about if they fade when you stomp on them. it's about shedding 10+ lbs per rotor. less unsprung weight helps the handling, less rotational mass helps stop better, and they also don't fade as quick when I'm up in the hills.

no offense, but I've always find it funny to hear these comment coming from the stock crowd. It's like saying why a C32/55 AMG? You could've just bought the C230k. It has 4 wheels and it's a C-class. I'm sure you didn't buy the C32 for looks and bragging right.
FrankW,

First off, I love what you've done to your C32, no question. But your analogy is way off - I have a C230 (albeit Coupe form) and a C32. The C32 is a HUGE increase in performance in any/every way.

I understand and concede your point that 2-piece rotors weigh less per corner than 1 piece (didn't realize it was 10+ lbs less, though - that's impressive), which should translate into better all-around performance.

However, there are many well-respected forum members who regularly track their cars (autox, road course, strip) and feel that the stock set-up is sufficient, with proper pad selection. If that's the case, I personally don't see the point in spending $5k-8k in a brake upgrade that should yield marginally better performance over the stock AMG brakes. If the C32 came with C230 coupe brakes, it'd be a different story I assure you!

But, other people do see the value in it, so they go for AMG 030, Brembo, Stoptech, Movit, etc. IMHO, this is mainly a cosmetic upgrade for most owners, with a slight performance benefit as well... which is fine, nothing wrong with that. Sounds like you enjoy your brembo front, AMG rear set-up on your own car, which is what matters most!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
FrankW,

First off, I love what you've done to your C32, no question. But your analogy is way off - I have a C230 (albeit Coupe form) and a C32. The C32 is a HUGE increase in performance in any/every way.

I understand and concede your point that 2-piece rotors weigh less per corner than 1 piece (didn't realize it was 10+ lbs less, though - that's impressive), which should translate into better all-around performance.

However, there are many well-respected forum members who regularly track their cars (autox, road course, strip) and feel that the stock set-up is sufficient, with proper pad selection. If that's the case, I personally don't see the point in spending $5k-8k in a brake upgrade that should yield marginally better performance over the stock AMG brakes. If the C32 came with C230 coupe brakes, it'd be a different story I assure you!

But, other people do see the value in it, so they go for AMG 030, Brembo, Stoptech, Movit, etc. IMHO, this is mainly a cosmetic upgrade for most owners, with a slight performance benefit as well... which is fine, nothing wrong with that. Sounds like you enjoy your brembo front, AMG rear set-up on your own car, which is what matters most!
I agree with you on this one. Being a tracker/raod racer for many years, the STOCK C32 brakes and pads did a remarkable job at Beaverun. I had NUMEROUS track junkies come over to check out the cars brakes after what they saw me doing on the track, aka Late braking. While I beleive FrankW's NEW brakes LOOK FANTASTIC. I doubt they would decrease my lap times by more than 1 second. I was turning 1:10 already on street tires. Yes I did fade my brakes once, trying to keep up to a Z06, my fault driving WAY too hard.

But I do agree that $8000 could be used on other things that would give you a huge decrease in lapping times, like a spare set of rims with R tires, that alone is good for over 4 seconds at Beaverun.

But again, THEY LOOK FANTASTIC, and I am sure they do stop better as well, but the difference between them and stock AMG I doubt would be night and day as the stockers are REALLY good to begin with.

See yeah

PS: FrankW did you wiegh the brake rotors to see that 10 pound difference? That is REALLY a huge difference that sounds a little high my friend. Just curious. And oh yeah, THEY LOOK SICK
Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
wow ! these are some really expensive brakes! j/w though, i didn't bother trying to read the essays in the NSX forum; do the ceramic brakes release heat better than slotted/drilled rotors?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
I agree with you on this one. Being a tracker/raod racer for many years, the STOCK C32 brakes and pads did a remarkable job at Beaverun. I had NUMEROUS track junkies come over to check out the cars brakes after what they saw me doing on the track, aka Late braking. While I beleive FrankW's NEW brakes LOOK FANTASTIC. I doubt they would decrease my lap times by more than 1 second. I was turning 1:10 already on street tires. Yes I did fade my brakes once, trying to keep up to a Z06, my fault driving WAY too hard.

But I do agree that $8000 could be used on other things that would give you a huge decrease in lapping times, like a spare set of rims with R tires, that alone is good for over 4 seconds at Beaverun.

But again, THEY LOOK FANTASTIC, and I am sure they do stop better as well, but the difference between them and stock AMG I doubt would be night and day as the stockers are REALLY good to begin with.

See yeah

PS: FrankW did you wiegh the brake rotors to see that 10 pound difference? That is REALLY a huge difference that sounds a little high my friend. Just curious. And oh yeah, THEY LOOK SICK
355mm Brembo GT rotor is 16 lbs if i remember correctly. I did a research on it when Harry was talking about the weight of his 030 rotor. The difference is that the GT two piece rotor has a forged aluminum hub instead of reinforced steel. The stock C32 rotor is around 25-26. I was surprised by how light they were when I first got them. The 360mm 030 AMG rotor weight in at 19lbs. Harry Maden weighted his 030 front rotors. The Brembo GT however do warp easy if you don't brake them in properly. The caliper weights pretty much the same as the stock AMG/Brembo maybe a lb lighter at most.

I don't do track, but I do a lot of hills. there's 4 perfect canyon roads around my area. I've gotten the stock brakes to fade numerous time. On the track you have straight sections long sections, etc to cool off the brakes before the next bend come. On the hills it's one after another just few seconds later.

personally I think the C230k sport sedan vs C32 analogy is perfect in this case. other than flat out straight line performance, I will have to say the C230k actually handles better than the C32 (stock vs stock) being lighter up front. even compared to the beefed up C55 suspension the C230k handles pretty well.

I agree with you on the money spent vs performance gain part. For the money, I would opt for a cheaper setup such as Stoptech which could save him some where around $2500-3000.

p.s. my front brembo's not that new. been on the car for a long time. went through a set of pads on them already, but i'm glad I have them. If for look, I would've just painted the stock AMGs and call it a day.

Last edited by FrankW; 02-27-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Sweet!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by FrankW
355mm Brembo GT rotor is 16 lbs if i remember correctly. I did a research on it when Harry was talking about the weight of his 030 rotor. The difference is that the GT two piece rotor has a forged aluminum hub instead of reinforced steel. The stock C32 rotor is around 25-26. I was surprised by how light they were when I first got them. The 360mm 030 AMG rotor weight in at 19lbs. Harry Maden weighted his 030 front rotors. The Brembo GT however do warp easy if you don't brake them in properly. The caliper weights pretty much the same as the stock AMG/Brembo maybe a lb lighter at most.

I don't do track, but I do a lot of hills. there's 4 perfect canyon roads around my area. I've gotten the stock brakes to fade numerous time. On the track you have straight sections long sections, etc to cool off the brakes before the next bend come. On the hills it's one after another just few seconds later.

COOL

Thanks for the update, and you are right on about Canyon carving, there are some hills in WV around Mount storm, where I teach diving, and I drove the race car on it, slicks and all. Came barreling down the hill, about 7 miles, with 180 degree turns every 1/4-1/2 mile and yes my 14" brembosF and 13"R did start to go on me. Anyway, did I mention they look STUNNING on your car.

Glad to hear you like them, and that HUGE weight saving, what can I say, other than I am poor and can't afford them, ha, ha. Sucks to be me, ie married with children.

Thanks again for the update!!!

See yeah
Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Those are some impressive modifications to your car, I remember since you sent me a PM a while ago that you were investing in turning your Estate into an even sportier ride. I like what you have done to it and 500hp to the crank is quiet impressive that thing will pull and hang with Exotics all day long if traction isnt a n issue. FI/ is the way to go, you've got more torque down low than most NA high revving engines have at peak points.

Enjoy it in the best of health and thanks for investing in the high quality parts,

Mohammed.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by MRAMG1

See yeah

The brake debate is kind of fun but I have to disagree that C32 brakes are totally useless at the track. I have made C32 brakes fade to the point of the pads catching FIRE on canyon roads (back when i was insane and out of touch with reality). Rotors glowing dark red fluid boiling etc. That was just on back roads.

At the track I just had the brakes become totally gone but no fire. There was no feel, the car would not stop. I have made StopTech bbk's fall apart with pagid orange pads all around.

The only solution to make my old C32 stop was a Stoptech kit with pagid black pads up front and pagid orange in the rear. Even then the car ate up pads in 2-3 events and the rotors would crack due to excessive heat every 10k miles or less.

The stoptech calipers were replaced several times for baked seals, discolored silver paint (more like baked poop after two track events) etc. The hats also went from black to a nice dark deep red color.

This C32 is no light weight and the 14.1 inch kit front and 13 inch kit rear was the only way to make it slow down. But with the brakes it could out brake nearly anything at the track. With Nitto NT-01 tires the car was just violent under braking.

I know I drove the car hard but I cant be that much harder on parts than others.

If you go back and look at SteveNL's discussion about C32/C55 brakes on his Diesel wagon you see that even a C270 manages to cook C32 brakes when pushed a bit on the autobahn. He said it was hazardous and he went to a C55 030 package kit.