Looks like my s/c coolant pump is dying. Symptom check:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Looks like my s/c coolant pump is dying. Symptom check:

On the way to work, on two occasions, I nailed the gas, and it felt kind of like a bicycle riding in the sand. There was still power, but really sluggish. Then later, it would respond just fine.

Good news is that I have a Bosch (for the Ford Lightning) pump all pre-wired and ready to go.

For the record, the original lasted 55,000 miles. Pretty typical.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Well let us know what it is...cause it does sound like the I/C pump is going...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i'm one to believe that the pump dies completely, compared to it fails on a off.

do you have a bigger heat exchanger?

if you do.. than It could be the pump. If you dont, than you just hit you max IAT's.

I check my pump everyday.. (touch the pump to check its works) and I still feel a bit sluggish.

I think its our transmission oil getting really hot after long driving. I talked to Brandon about it and he has the whole IC cooling upgrade from his company and he feels the same thing after a while.

we might need to look into a better trans fluid cooler.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32
i'm one to believe that the pump dies completely, compared to it fails on a off.

do you have a bigger heat exchanger?

if you do.. than It could be the pump. If you dont, than you just hit you max IAT's.

I check my pump everyday.. (touch the pump to check its works) and I still feel a bit sluggish.

I think its our transmission oil getting really hot after long driving. I talked to Brandon about it and he has the whole IC cooling upgrade from his company and he feels the same thing after a while.

we might need to look into a better trans fluid cooler.
Seems unlikely that I could have hit my max IAT with an operable pump given that at the time it was quite cold out (30 degrees) and I had been driving very mildly (25-35 mph).

I guess I'll monitor it a bit more and see. Given that my warranty expired in February, I sure HOPE it's something relatively simple.

Maybe others can chime in here, but isn't it possible that the pump is dead, but you still get boost? The S/C intake charge might be cool enough until you've been beating it pretty hard.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

have you check your kompressor clutch spacing?

I had 4 spacing rings on my clutch pulley.. and the gap was too large and made the engagement a bit slow. Switch to 2 spacing rings and its much tighter.

I have removed the plastic shroud around passenger wheel well.. so I can touch the pump almost every day.

every day after work... before I shut down the car.. I touch my pump and hoses to see if its working.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
so are you looking to see if the pump is warm or what?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
so are you looking to see if the pump is warm or what?
I hope to get some time to do this today. The power is definitely cutting in and out; and it does appear related to stress/temperature. If I've been pushing it hard, the power cuts out; but if I use light throttle for a period of time, it seems to "recover" for a while.

My question is, if the pump is DEAD, is it possible that IAT will be low enough on a cool day (30-40 degrees) to permit boost for period of time?

Regarding the spacers, the problem is not slow engagement. It just does not engage at all at time; but engages fine other times.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I hope to get some time to do this today. The power is definitely cutting in and out; and it does appear related to stress/temperature. If I've been pushing it hard, the power cuts out; but if I use light throttle for a period of time, it seems to "recover" for a while.

My question is, if the pump is DEAD, is it possible that IAT will be low enough on a cool day (30-40 degrees) to permit boost for period of time?
that is my theory.. if the pump is dead.. it will not cool down the car.

It may have boost in the morning or cool day.. but once get the IAT's high enough.. there is no choice but to cut the kompressor.

IAT's build even if you are not pushing the hard.

One would check for vibration on the pump and the flow of the hoses. No flow or no vibration while the car is running and engine is hot.. means dead pump.

Don't check when car is cold or morning start up.. the pump wont' come on.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5

Regarding the spacers, the problem is not slow engagement. It just does not engage at all at time; but engages fine other times.
Fifth,

This is the EXACT symptom I had last year, and it was a bad IC pump. Car would drive fine when cold/cool - after an extended period of highway driving, it couldn't out-accelerate a Kia (literally...) - your analogy of "riding a bicycle in sand" is a good one. Car was still under original warranty then, so the dealer replaced the pump w/ a new MB (i.e. Bosch) one, and it's been fine since. Before trying ANYTHING else, I'd highly recommend replacing the pump and see if that fixes it.

Good luck
Old 03-11-2008, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
On the way to work, on two occasions, I nailed the gas, and it felt kind of like a bicycle riding in the sand. There was still power, but really sluggish. Then later, it would respond just fine.

Good news is that I have a Bosch (for the Ford Lightning) pump all pre-wired and ready to go.

For the record, the original lasted 55,000 miles. Pretty typical.
Happened to me again today. I really need to do the same........yet I bought
a large star CL grill and no performance mod......I really want to get the LET
IC Pump but waiting on the connectors to be more plug and play.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Fifth,

This is the EXACT symptom I had last year, and it was a bad IC pump. Car would drive fine when cold/cool - after an extended period of highway driving, it couldn't out-accelerate a Kia (literally...) - your analogy of "riding a bicycle in sand" is a good one. Car was still under original warranty then, so the dealer replaced the pump w/ a new MB (i.e. Bosch) one, and it's been fine since. Before trying ANYTHING else, I'd highly recommend replacing the pump and see if that fixes it.

Good luck
Well, I've got the pump already ready to go.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by trbo2nr
Happened to me again today. I really need to do the same........yet I bought
a large star CL grill and no performance mod......I really want to get the LET
IC Pump but waiting on the connectors to be more plug and play.
no need to wait for connectors..its only 2 wires.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by TopGun32
no need to wait for connectors..its only 2 wires.
That's it? Nice, after I do the grill and add some more stuff to my Harley, it's next. Looks like I'm going with the LET IC pump.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I personally don't think the pump actually dies rather I think what happened is somewhat like a fan dying - it is going, but at really slow rate until it's fully dead . IF the pump is completely dead there's no way after cooling off for a while it suddenly works for maybe one run and then the IAT raises again. the s/c sitting on top of the engine just doesn't cool off that fast.

either way, a Johnson CM30 pump is great replacement. my second Bosch pump was working fine, but I replaced it with the Johnson one anyway.