C55 Carfax Report Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
C55 Carfax Report Questions

Hi,
I am in the market for a C32 or C55 and doing research for now.

A certain C55 in my area that I am considering has these things listed in the Carfax report.

1-20-05
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
Internal transmission repaired
Miscellaneous service performed
Electrical system serviced"

12-16-05
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered
Front seat replaced

1-18-07
Vehicle serviced
License plate light bulb replaced
Parts ordered
Front seat replaced

My questions are do these cars have seat problems that this one was replaced twice and the reprogramming may just be an update?

I am only concerned as some Carfax reports for cars have zero repair listings yet being older and twice the miles and some have a slew of repairs even though minor in most cases. Curious as to owners experiences?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
C32 is known for the seat problem. Not sure about being fixed twice. I thought it would of been fixed right the first time

Originally Posted by racetested
Hi,

A certain C55 in my area that I am considering has these things listed in the Carfax report.

1-20-05
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered

12-16-05
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered
Front seat replaced

1-18-07
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered
Front seat replaced

My questions are do these cars have seat problems that this one was replaced twice and the reprogramming may just be an update?

I am only concerned as some Carfax reports for cars have zero repair listings yet being older and twice the miles and some have a slew of repairs even though minor in most cases. Curious as to owners experiences?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by bud4ya
C32 is known for the seat problem. Not sure about being fixed twice. I thought it would of been fixed right the first time
He is showing a Carfax report for a C55 not C32. Unless he mistakenly said C55 Edited 10:17am I re-read ur post and sorry I am the confused
Old 04-01-2008, 11:17 AM

08 MB
When they say "seat replaced" is this the module I have been reading about? I can't think of what else would need replacing?

If this is the case no big deal as I am the only one that drives my car and the seat is adjusted once and left alone.

Just trying to sort out what's worth worrying about and what I can live with as being minor annoyances albeit simple to fix as well.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 AM

He mentioned he was also looking at a C32 so I thought he should know the seat issue with that one also .

Originally Posted by c32used
He is showing a Carfax report for a C55 not C32. Unless he mistakenly said C55 Edited 10:17am I re-read ur post and sorry I am the confused
Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 AM

08 MB
Yes the report is for a C55.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Hi,

1-20-05
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered

12-16-05
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered
Front seat replaced

1-18-07
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered
Front seat replaced

I never read of a C55 with the known issues that the C32 has with the seats...but maybe they had a faulty unit and replaced it with another faulty unit in under a months time...
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by bud4ya
He mentioned he was also looking at a C32 so I thought he should know the seat issue with that one also .

I see from original post but his sig shows he owns a C32 already...so I think he wants to go up to the C55.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
my c55 seats are shot, i need to take it in and get em fixed.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
When they say "seat replaced" is this the module I have been reading about? I can't think of what else would need replacing?

If this is the case no big deal as I am the only one that drives my car and the seat is adjusted once and left alone.

Just trying to sort out what's worth worrying about and what I can live with as being minor annoyances albeit simple to fix as well.
Chances are the module but I can't say its accurate either...maybe he had an issue with the heat element thus replacement of the actual upper or lower part of seat is required since the heat element is built-in...
Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by crazeazn
my c55 seats are shot, i need to take it in and get em fixed.
How are they shot?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:28 AM

Do you own a C32. Like C32 said I never heard of the C55 having the seat issue the C32's do. But I am fairly new here. If it failed so quickly it had to of been replaced with a faulty part.

Yes the report is for a C55.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:38 AM

08 MB
Sorry, I do not have a Mercedes yet and will change my profile.

Long story short I had an 02 C32 lined up to buy a few weeks ago but typical salesman fashion sold the car on me the same day I was due to pick it up.

Anyways I like the C55 better the more I look at it but both models are limited in quantities and finding either as clean as I keep my cars along with the right price in my budget is not easy.

Last edited by racetested; 04-01-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Its hard to tell without looking at the car-fax report. With the warranty Mercedes gives you it covers all. Alot lof owners nit pick when small stuff goes wrong ( and they should) also when Mercedes go into the shop for any service they get plugged into by the techs computer if they find errors they fix them. My S500 went in for airmatic problem and came out with a new transmission. you can (and I recommend this) call a Mercedes dealer and speak to a service advisor give them the vin and ask them to make what they think. Ask them if they think you should buy or stay away. they will help you out. Car-fax can be abit miss leading. Sometime the stuff that shows up in there looks bad but really its not. example in California, dealer buy backs are listed under "Lemons" when in fact in Cali you can give your car back for any reason... generally speaking. Headlight out? you can say you don't want the car and the dealer has to take it back and now that car is a Lemon.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Sorry, I do not have a Mercedes yet and will change my profile.

Long story short I had an 02 C32 lined up to buy a few weeks ago but typical salesman fashion sold the car on me the same day I was due to pick it up.

Anyways I like the C55 better the more I look at it but both models are limited in quantities and finding either as clean as I keep my cars along with the right price in my budget is not easy.
cool...I don't see it as an issue...I say if you can get either with warranty you are ahead of game...even though there is no guarantee you will have an issue it still better to be safe then sorry.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Hi,

1-20-05
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered

12-16-05
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered
Front seat replaced

1-18-07
Vehicle serviced
Parts ordered
Front seat replaced

You can ask Dealer to check VIN and tell you more details of the info from the Carfax report as Hooleyboy said.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:21 PM

2005 C55 AMG
In my C55, both lower seat heating elements have gone out in the 3 months I've had it. I can only assume that's what the repairs listed in the Carfax report are referring to. It's common. They simply replace the entire lower seat section when this happens.

The Carfax info will list any/all repairs done on that particular VIN under warranty at a dealer. Repairs done at shops that are not part of the online networked repair systems will not show anything, therefore if one particular car you're looking at has not been serviced at a dealer, it will likely not show on the report. Everything Carfax tracks is done solely through the vehicles VIN #. When I ran a Carfax on my previously owned vehicle, it had a slew of listings from all the dealership extended warranty repairs I had done. But then again, that's why we get extended warranties --- so they'll fix 'em.

The items listed in the report all seem fairly commonplace, and nothing to make me think the car is a troubled vehicle. This particular vehicle must've been owned by someone that would not do any maintenance themself, as it even lists a simple license plate bulb replacement, whereas most of us would do that ourselves.

I would simply advise you to get an extended warranty when you make your purchase. One or two major repairs will more than cover the cost in most cases...
Old 04-01-2008, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
FYI seat bottom replacements for the heater element are absolutely common with C55's.

Sounds to me like that person was **** and made use of their warranty, which is a good thing.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:31 PM

C55
Originally Posted by c32used
How are they shot?
the bottom cushions dont heat up on both sides.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Originally Posted by crazeazn
the bottom cushions dont heat up on both sides.
c32used was talking about the seat control modules. The unit underneath the seats needs to be replace.

You are talking about the heating elements. The bottom leather portion of the seat needs to be replace.

Both common problems in the W203 chassis.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 PM

C55
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
c32used was talking about the seat control modules. The unit underneath the seats needs to be replace.

You are talking about the heating elements. The bottom leather portion of the seat needs to be replace.

Both common problems in the W203 chassis.
oh my bad i thought they were one and the same.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:20 AM

08 MB
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm not a car newbie and have an extensive amount of tools to do all my own maintenance and mechanical work but at the same time I don't want to be maintaining a car on a regular basis especially a daily driver. Just way too busy and little patience.

These AMG cars are awesome and being a car enthusiast I really appreciate what they are for what I am looking for at this point in my life. If I don't end up with one(can't afford the exact newer model I really want and pointless for me to settle for an older and higher mileage car then I have now) you all enjoy yours. I know as people we can get spoiled and used to what we have but as a reality check go and drive a "soulless" average car and see how great you have it.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
I'm reminded of it everyday I sit in my car and hit that throttle. I feel the same way I did when I first got her, pure lust. Heck, I catch my self staring at it at least once a day.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 PM

The driver's side was replaced once for not getting hot and the second time for getting TOO hot. The passsenger side was replaced for not getting hot.

The driver's side has worked well for over a year since the last replacement. The passenger side was just replaced.

After my warranty runs out, I'm not going to worry about it. I live in San Diego.