C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 Engine Noise- Normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Question C55 Engine Noise- Normal?

I've only owned my C55 for a couple weeks now and I've noticed the valve train is louder than the vehicles I've owned in the past (with the exception of the S2k).

When in my garage, going through a drive through, or any other idle scenarior where sounds can echo and be magnified, I notice ticking noise coming from the engine. It sounds a lot like a lifter. Is this normal for the 5.4 AMG motor or should I have it checked out? It does not get louder with higer RPM and can only be heard at idle to may 2k rpm.

Thanx in advance,
Alex
Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 PM

2005 C55 AMG
You could be dealing w/ a few different issues. I would find it awfully odd for you to have a "ticking" lifter, however that's not to say it couldn't happen.
Are you sure you're not hearing a loud injector ticking sound? If a fuel injector becomes clogged and has to work harded, it too can make a little bit of noise.
I would certainly do some closer investigation to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.
1.) First I'd remove the engine cover(s) and narrow it down to where it's coming from. Get a large screwdriver or the likes, and rest it against the valve covers while cupping your hand over the handle end, against your ear. This will act like a stethoscope and help you listen for odd internal sounds. (assuming you don't have an actual stethoscope in its place...)

2.) Make sure you don't have a bad belt that may have a fragment of material that clicks when it runs over any of the pulleys.

3.) Get it up in the air if you have the ability, and listen underneath to make sure there's not an exhaust tick, ie leak.

4.) Consider changing the oil and filter to make sure everything is clean and flowing as it should. Maybe the previous owner neglected to do this regularly, so why not go ahead and rule it out by starting clean...

That's my initial ideas for tracing it down. The car certainly should not be making the noises you describe, assuming they are loud and foreign to normal operating sounds.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM

C55 AMG
Thank you for the detailed response!

I tried to pinpoint the noise with the cover off and I could not do so.

I'm going to start by changing the oil. The car only has 14k miles so I don't think there should be any fuel problems just yet.

The "ticking" isn't loud really it's just audible. It's not a very fast ticking like an injector firing. I know some vehicles have louder valve noises than others so it could be normal.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 GL 550, 08 BMW X5 4.8, 05 C55 AMG, 05 GSX-R1000 (sold), Denali XL (sold)
It is probably worthwhile to talk to Brabus C55 regarding “Campaign#2008010001” catalytic issues: PM from Brabus below, I hope he does not mind.

I only noticed a loss of performance. The motor lost its ability to rev quickly & felt slower. Plus I dropped a few MPG.

The performance difference was very apparent after it was fixed. The performance loss happened over a period of time.

No noises associated w/ my problem.

My only nasty sound was a SUPER loud lifter that went away after a day. The power steering is really noisy.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:06 PM

I actually just had to have a bad lifter replaced the engine was making a ticking or a tapping noise which is the classic sign of a bad lifter from what the dealer first told me and from what my dad told me. It was a horror sorry getting it fixed between mercedes not wanting to spend the money to fix it correctly since it was under warranty and the slow stupid dealership(lakeview mercedes). I would have it checked if I were you they added a fuel or oil additive to my engine twice as a cheap fix but that did not work and after figthing with the dealer I finally got them call Mercedes and tell them the lifter needed to be replaced.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 PM

06 C55
mine too

My C55 ticks too. But not loud enough to be of concern.

For me, it just seem like you can hear the upper end of the motor at idle over the fan.

I agree that the valves are just a little more articulate than other cars I've owned.

Actually, I like it.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
My C55 had random engine ticks that sounded like lifters. The valve trains are noisy on these things. Then, one day, it got real loud (still somewhat intermittent). I took it to the dealer & they replaced the lifters. It came back instantly. Then they looked at it & said it was normal carbon build up (bs). I had an oil analysis done & there was high wear from pistons, and I think it was actually sloppy piston & ring noise I was hearing, but it was very light for that type of noise. It really just sounded like a lifter. Mercedes refused to fix it so I dumped the car & got something else. I advise anyone with these problems to do an oil analysis so you know before something blows. And hopefully you have a better dealer than I did here in the South Bay. They were idiots...