C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor
Filters

I have a 2005 C230 Kompressor with about 25k miles on it. It it time to start replacing various filters (cabin and air).

In looking on various websites, NAPA and Advance Auto Parts seem to be selling the air, cabin and oil filter for about half the price of the OEM filters.
It looks like the oil filters don't come with new O rings like the OEM filter from the dealer. I took my car recently for an oil change at a service company that specializes in European cars rather than paying the ridiculous prices for Service A at the dealership. I know they used a NAPA oil filter for the oil change which sells for about $14.99 vs the $30 at the dealership.

Has anyone used these and are they as good as the OEM filters?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 752 Likes on 733 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
don't use cheap filters...
at least use factory filters and use K&N air filter...
Old 04-30-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the NAPA filter. It is, in fact, made by WIX, which is the best OE style replacement filter brand in the US. Just an FYI, all "private label" filters are made by a major brand manufacturer. The only one I would stay away from is FRAM. They're the most popular due to their marketing arm, but do not use as good of a filtering medium as others.

Brand Examples:
NAPA (Silver Pro Select, or Gold) = made by WIX
CARQUEST (Red or Blue) = made by WIX
Pro-Tec (sold at O'Reilly) = made by WIX
Parts Master (sold at AutoValue or Bumper-to-Bumper) = made by WIX
Bosch Premium = made by Purolator
POWER-FLO (Sold at Advance, CSK, Murray's) = made by Purolator
ProLine (sold at Pep Boys) = made by Purolator
Mann Hummel (owned by Bosch) = made by Purolator
Mobil-1 = made by Champ Labs (who also makes AC Delco, Motorcraft, and other private label brands)
STP (AutoZone) = made by Champ Labs
K&N = made by K&N

Aftermarket Data is what my company does for a living, and most of the names listed above are clients of ours. Anyway, my point was simply that just because the brand name says "NAPA", or others, it is still likely made by a major manufacturer that simply re-boxes their branded product into a private label. Now, there are different grades of some of these, ie the NAPA Silver Pro Select and CARQUEST Red are a lesser grade than their premium Blue or Gold lines.

My personal recommendations would be to stick with the WIX Premium, Purolator Premium or PureONE, and K&N. I'm partial to each of these, but per the list above there are plenty of good options. Just stay away from the entry-level brands. If a filter costs $4, then you're getting just that --- a $4 filter. Don't skimp when it comes to protecting your engine!