C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Does insurance pay for it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Does insurance pay for it?

Hey all, i was wondering if my bumper got damaged, e.g cracked, and insurance covers it, they asked me if i want to replace 1) OEM 2) Aftermarket 3) re-used parts....

i was wondering for aftermarket, is it that we can REQUEST the brand of bumper or is the manu. a aftermarket company e.g DEPO...

can someone clarify?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
insurance, would only replace whatever you have on the car. I perfer OEM bumper.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
ur better off requesting a used OEM than an aftermarket replica. Some insurance companies can find a used one and they will give it to you, if you want a new one they will make you pay the difference. Unfortunately it's their argument. However a junkyard bumper is better than a replica

I found this out with my RX7 when my insurance co bought a cheap ebay knock off fiberglass peice
Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by alchang32
Hey all, i was wondering if my bumper got damaged, e.g cracked, and insurance covers it, they asked me if i want to replace 1) OEM 2) Aftermarket 3) re-used parts....

i was wondering for aftermarket, is it that we can REQUEST the brand of bumper or is the manu. a aftermarket company e.g DEPO...

can someone clarify?

Thanks!
Go with OEM NEW!! Sometimes used just means it came off a car wrecked in the front. The bumper may then have to be "reconditioned" for your use. Why would you ever go aftermarket on a Benz bumper (unless its a performance type of part??) Also, YOU dont get to make that call , the estimator does along with the adjuster.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Find an oem part or see if they can give you the cash so that you can find one yourself.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:48 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by alchang32

can someone clarify?

Thanks!
Get an estimate from a body shop using OEM parts, send it to the insurance co. They will cut you a check (or the body shop). Then you tell the body shop you are going to supply them an aftermarket part. They may complain a bit and say they wont guarantee fitment, etc, etc. That's why it's best to always use a shop you know, trust, etc.

PS You don't have a deductible? As much as you may want an aftermarket bumper most body shops will simply sill in the cracks and re-paint.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 PM

'10 GLK 350 Capri Blue/Black
As a true connoisseur of W203 front bumpers, I can tell you that the OEM one cost me $975 from the body shop last time.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
When I smacked a bobcat awhile back State Farm made the dealer body shop use non-OEM parts if they were available. I had to pay the difference to get an OEM radiator. I wasn't happy.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Go OEM new if you can or OEM used the aftermarket stuff most likely will need alot of work to get on perfectly....I really don't think there is an aftermarket bumper cover made...
Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by dkflipse
Get an estimate from a body shop using OEM parts, send it to the insurance co. They will cut you a check (or the body shop). Then you tell the body shop you are going to supply them an aftermarket part. They may complain a bit and say they wont guarantee fitment, etc, etc. That's why it's best to always use a shop you know, trust, etc.

PS You don't have a deductible? As much as you may want an aftermarket bumper most body shops will simply sill in the cracks and re-paint.
nO DEDUCTIBLE IF SOMEONE HIT him. Is this a third party claim or are you filing against your own policy? If you have a collision deductible, its probably anywhere from 250-1000??? Check your dec pages or ID card for that.