C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Stock Bose speakers, aftermarket HU - how's it sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Stock Bose speakers, aftermarket HU - how's it sound?

Anybody with this setup? I'm looking at getting a new head unit put in, since I'm sick of not having MP3 CD's and/or my iPod, but I'm wondering what kinda detriment it's going to have on the SQ, losing the stock sub/amp. Anybody have any experience?

Also, I got a quote from Tweeter (Yeah, I know, don't rub it in) and it was something like $350 for a wiring kit, mounting bracket and the entire install (just the iPod connectivity, no BT or XM/Sat radio)... I've been out of the car audio game for so long, so tell me - do you think that's reasonable? The big portion of it was like, $170, for them to bypass the stock amp.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by evilsaint
Anybody with this setup? I'm looking at getting a new head unit put in, since I'm sick of not having MP3 CD's and/or my iPod, but I'm wondering what kinda detriment it's going to have on the SQ, losing the stock sub/amp. Anybody have any experience?

Also, I got a quote from Tweeter (Yeah, I know, don't rub it in) and it was something like $350 for a wiring kit, mounting bracket and the entire install (just the iPod connectivity, no BT or XM/Sat radio)... I've been out of the car audio game for so long, so tell me - do you think that's reasonable? The big portion of it was like, $170, for them to bypass the stock amp.
I dont know if it will help but hit the Kenwood DNX7100 link in my sig it may help decide. Basically stock speakers will work but not the greatest sound quality but reasonable. You will lose rear sub unless you power it up via bypass and another AMP. I blew my sub the 1st week due to volume being too high. Loungn14 knows another speaker bypass spot I believe...
Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
Well, I just went through this whole mess myself. The problem with the bose speakers is that they are 2 ohm. Most aftermarket headunits are going to be stressed driving a 2 ohm load and you'll run the risk of frying the onboard amp.

Here's where it gets even better. So my next thought was to replace the headunit and to throw in a decent set of speakers. The problem with that is that, at least on some head units, you have a bose amp sitting in the trunk which gets it's signal by a proprietary fiber optic connector. Meaning you can't even just replace the headunit and speakers. You have to put an amp in place, or, run the speaker wires from the speakers up to the head unit.

It's not an easy decision... I ended up just getting the whole deal. Head unit, amp, speakers, and then spent the whole weekend wiring everything in.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Biscuit
Well, I just went through this whole mess myself. The problem with the bose speakers is that they are 2 ohm. Most aftermarket headunits are going to be stressed driving a 2 ohm load and you'll run the risk of frying the onboard amp.

Here's where it gets even better. So my next thought was to replace the headunit and to throw in a decent set of speakers. The problem with that is that, at least on some head units, you have a bose amp sitting in the trunk which gets it's signal by a proprietary fiber optic connector. Meaning you can't even just replace the headunit and speakers. You have to put an amp in place, or, run the speaker wires from the speakers up to the head unit.

It's not an easy decision... I ended up just getting the whole deal. Head unit, amp, speakers, and then spent the whole weekend wiring everything in.

In this thread it talks about everything I bought to bypass the Bose amp in trunk and all that is needed is
1. headunit
2. install kit for HU
3. 2/3 sets of RCA cables
4. 2 amps....one 4 channel for door Bose speakers and a single mono amp for the Bose Sub or get a 5 channel amp to handle all. Make sure AMP can handle 2 ohms

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/233993-kenwood-mobile-entertainment-installed-my-c32.html

After hearing another members car with speakers upgraded I decided mine didn't sound so good so I upgraded to eventually. Remember the fronts and rears are 6.5" and you only need spacers for rear not front based of experience. I upgraded the Sub prior to upgrading the door speakers so I ran Bose door speakers for like 2-3 months without an issue. Notice that my amps can handle 2 ohms steady also.