C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Puff of smoke, and transmission fluid leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK550
Puff of smoke, and transmission fluid leak

The wife and I were driving back from Ikea when I noticed while driving on the highway that the car wasn't accelerating very strong when I pushed the gas pedal down further. It almost felt like it didn't want to kick down a gear, and the pull was minimal. After it doing this twice, I pushed the pedal to the floor and it accelerated a little bit better but still not normal. I also noticed some puffs of smoke coming out the back, so I let off right away. After a minute, and at slower speeds, tried giving it more gas again. This time it seemed to accelerate normal with no smoke. I gave it one more try and it pulled normal again with no smoke. Then from low speed, I did a brief wide open run. The pull was normal, and still no smoke. The engine ran and idled smooth, sounding and feeling completely normal. Only thing I've done different lately was putting in a bottle of Techron the other day when I filled up.

So after we get home, I pulled in the garage and parked the car. A few minutes later, the wife asked if I could back out the car because she needed the space. When I backed it out, I noticed two very small puddles of trans fluid on the ground. The car was backed out onto the driveway just for a couple minutes, and when I pulled it back in, there were two small trans fluid spots on the driveway as well. From what I've found in searching, it sounds like it might be the trans o-ring that's leaking.

I guess my question would be more the the Chicago guys. Is there a good place in the area/suburbs that is trustworthy with fixing something like this?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
I use CPT in Melrose for the performance installs, but they do repairs as well.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:10 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I use CPT in Melrose for the performance installs, but they do repairs as well.
I scheduled an appointment with MB of Westmont, but will look into CPT for future service.(hopefully won't need it) I looked on the map and CPT actually isn't too far from me. That is convenient.

Last edited by RedBull; 07-04-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 AM

CLK550
Dropped it off at MB of Westmont this morning, and they gave me an ML350 for a loaner. Not too bad. The gal mentioned that replacing the o-ring on the trans fluid pan would be only around $250. Not too bad. I'm having them check the suspension also because I think the front driver's side control arm bushing needs to be replaced. I'm driving it down to FL in August, so I want to make sure everything is working right before I leave.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 PM

CLK550
Big props to MB of Westmont. They called me back quickly to let me know that the problem was indeed the bolt on the trans fluid pan. They quoted me a total price to fix it of $225 including tax. Not bad at all. In addition, I had them inspect the suspension because of the noise I was hearing up front. They said the control arm bushings were bad and quoted me a total price to replace them of $400. Fair enough.

Unfortunately when they were replacing the bolt on the trans fluid pan, there was a problem with the threading on the bolt plate being damaged. They said that it looks like someone had overtightened the bolt before and that caused the problem. So the total cost to repair is going to be a bit more, but overall I have been extremely impressed with their professionalism and promptness in getting back to me. While they had the car, I asked them to do a full check over and see if there were any other leaks or repairs to be made. Everything else checked out fine, so I am otherwise good to go. Considering some of the bad experiences I've had with dealerships in the past, this has been a nice surprise. So again, my hat is off to MB of Westmont.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 AM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
$225 for a tranny fluid bolt? Sounds expensive to me.

Last edited by mdncn2762; 07-08-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added fluid
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM

I don't understand how a bad bolt would kill the power and cause smoke. Sounds like something else may be going on.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 PM

2010 C63
you're happy about being ripped off? hmmmmm
Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by mdncn2762
$225 for a tranny fluid bolt? Sounds expensive to me.
It was a bad o-ring. I searched around on here and saw that it's not an uncommon problem, and members were paying anywhere from $250-400 to have this fixed.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by alpinewhite325i
I don't understand how a bad bolt would kill the power and cause smoke. Sounds like something else may be going on.
Search around. It's a somewhat common problem, and does cause loss of power and smoking. I did a lot of searching after it initially happened, and the symptoms of that problem were exactly what I was experiencing.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
you're happy about being ripped off? hmmmmm
I paid less than the lowest price quoted by anyone else for the fix. I'm failing to see where I was ripped off.

In case it happens to you, here is some info on the problem:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...+trans+leaking

Hope your dealer treats you as fair as mine did to me.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by RedBull
I paid less than the lowest price quoted by anyone else for the fix. I'm failing to see where I was ripped off.

In case it happens to you, here is some info on the problem:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...+trans+leaking

Hope your dealer treats you as fair as mine did to me.
I hope that solves the problem for you. Happy motoring!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
I hope that solves the problem for you. Happy motoring!
Seems like it's fine so far. When I had it in there, the service person did say that it's a common problem with MB cars and they have done that fix more than once. I did see a DIY for it, but just wasn't feeling motivated enough to do it myself. Regardless, just wanted this to be an fyi in case anyone else starts experiencing this problem with theirs......and to let anyone in in the Chicago burbs to know where they can get it fixed at a reasonable price.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
sux that you had so many problems so far. i think i lucked out, since the only problem i had with my c32 are the seat control modules.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
sux that you had so many problems so far. i think i lucked out, since the only problem i had with my c32 are the seat control modules.
They did a full inspection of the car while they had it in for the repair, and said everything else checked out fine. I got the car for a steal, so I'm not going to complain too much over one repair that was free and one that was of minimal cost.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
you a more tolerate guy then I. I would be mad if i had problems related to the drive train in less then a month of ownership.

Usually they warranty the drive train for the first month, I guess the laws are slightly different in illionis versus california when it comes to used cars.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:01 AM

2010 C63
there are 2 rubber o-rings that you have to replace, they cost about $1 for a bag of them. if you have a lift you can replace them in about 20-30 mins. if you are using jacks, it's a little harder and can take an hour.

I've seen some shops use rtv silicone to fix this problem, so beware! that fix will not last as long as a replacement set of o-rings!

~Mike~
Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
you a more tolerate guy then I. I would be mad if i had problems related to the drive train in less then a month of ownership.

Usually they warranty the drive train for the first month, I guess the laws are slightly different in illionis versus california when it comes to used cars.
I was pissed when the heat exchanger started leaking less than 24 hours after driving the car off the lot, but I didn't go back to the place I bought it from and make a scene. I made sure they understood that I wasn't happy about the situation, and they had an obligation to fix the problem even though it was sold to me as-is.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM

CLK550
there are 2 rubber o-rings that you have to replace, they cost about $1 for a bag of them. if you have a lift you can replace them in about 20-30 mins. if you are using jacks, it's a little harder and can take an hour.

I've seen some shops use rtv silicone to fix this problem, so beware! that fix will not last as long as a replacement set of o-rings!

~Mike~
Thanks for the head's up on that Mike. Looking at the work order, they replaced the electic connector, spacer, lock pin, filter and gasket. They guarantee it for 12/12,000. I'll definitely check it periodically just to make sure though.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 PM

2010 C63
the guarantee makes it worth the money since it's never fun to repair the same thing twice.

~mike~

Originally Posted by RedBull
Thanks for the head's up on that Mike. Looking at the work order, they replaced the electic connector, spacer, lock pin, filter and gasket. They guarantee it for 12/12,000. I'll definitely check it periodically just to make sure though.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 PM

CLK550
the guarantee makes it worth the money since it's never fun to repair the same thing twice.

~mike~
I know this from experience......especially after doing several transmission swaps on the last car. That's why I'm feeling burned out on working on my car right now.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
okay time to bring up an old thread. so i had to replace the pilot bushing, o-rings, pan gasket and filter, oh yeah and new fluid lol. after all this driving home from my shop i noticed some white smoke as described above. then after i got on the gas to pass a car, there was smoke trailing behind the car? i put the 32 up for a while and bought a 98 4runner to get around so i didnt put the miles on my baby. well i took it out today for the first time in a month and noticed a nice puddle of tranny fluid on the garage floor. i looked under the car and noticed a nice smear of tranny fluid everywhere! the lever is fine. i will admit that i added a little too much when i did the fix. but not enough to do damage. the smoke came back and the trail is there sometimes. the smell of burning fluid is always there. i took the skid pan off under the tranny pan and found what i think is about a 1/2-3/4 a quart spread over the plate? maybe i didnt tighten the pilot bushing enough because now that im thinking about it, the majority of the fluid is coming from the bushing location. now i did break that red seal on the dipstick tube and i didnt replace it with a new one. but to me it felt snug on the tube without the seal. after popping the hood it was gone! it is almost like fluid traveled up the tube and pushed it out. the cat is covered in the fluid. ill have it up on a lift tomorrow to check. i do need some advice though so i know exactly what im looking for.