C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sheet metal intake plenums...yes please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by OJwerks
is there air intake ram-air ?
Sort of. If you follow the link below the second pic shows you where the filter is located.

http://www.needswings.com/ProductDet...?productID=571

It is debatable whether or not it is "ram air" as compared to say the WS6 T/As. The air is forced or "rammed" into the grill at speed though.

im holding back on my comments on the intake manifold until i see full dyno results..they look like an interesting piece and im glad they are being built with a "budget" in mind.
Hopefully we won't have to wait long as he noted on his thread that he is getting close
Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
Originally Posted by msheredy
I can tell from reading the subpar responses from the majority of members here and I have to say that I'm disappointed. Maybe if it were LET that had designed and manufactured it everyone's responses would be better. Such a shame... end rant...
Not everyone here feels that way. And the responses this has gotten do not constitute the "majority."

While the mod is not about beauty, at the end of the day, if it helps to safely produce more power without breaking one's wallet, then it is on par with any product produced by others.

Once real-world dyno numbers are posted and analyzed by some of our resident gearheads, this might become a highly sought-after mod. It wouldn't hurt to do some R&D on the C32 as well by allowing forum members to test and post impressions of the product.

No need to raise your blood pressure to defend the intake. If it works well, let it speak for itself.

Good Luck.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 PM

not stock.
Sort of. If you follow the link below the second pic shows you where the filter is located.

http://www.needswings.com/ProductDet...?productID=571

It is debatable whether or not it is "ram air" as compared to say the WS6 T/As. The air is forced or "rammed" into the grill at speed though.

Hopefully we won't have to wait long as he noted on his thread that he is getting close
wow, i like that intake...its exactly what i need for my project.. the one I was going to "build" was very similar to that...
Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
...Did I read that right? Putting more air into the engine reduces torque Well then you might want to have a chat with any engine builder, they'll gladly tell you that you're full of it...
One word : DECAF.

Bigger isn't always better. A loss of intake air velocity due to improperly matched components will cause power to suffer. This applies to not only intakes, but heads and exhaust as well.

A properly designed intake takes advantage of resonance - changing the velocity in a resonance-tuned tract will cause a serious power drop-off.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 PM

MB
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
One word : DECAF.
Ha Ha Ha!! A prime example at how people misinterpret meanings behind e-mails or in this case a forum post. My point is to tell members that just because it wasn't developed by LET first not to downplay it. What's the point to that? You can call it a Needswings Fanboy vs LET Fanboys if it makes you sleep better?

I'm just trying to educate people on this particular product as it was shunned right away in the first 5 responses! WTF's up with that?

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Bigger isn't always better. A loss of intake air velocity due to improperly matched components will cause power to suffer. This applies to not only intakes, but heads and exhaust as well.

A properly designed intake takes advantage of resonance - changing the velocity in a resonance-tuned tract will cause a serious power drop-off.
You are correct. Obviously within reason, if a engine can't pump air through itself then it isn't a wise idea to try and cram more into it now does it? Initial tests have shown a dramatic increase in power. We'll just have to wait and see the graphs for those of you who don't understand how these will increase the power output.

Read up here for the initial dyno test.

wow, i like that intake...its exactly what i need for my project.. the one I was going to "build" was very similar to that...
It is a nice piece indeed. It's the only mandrel bent CAI that I have seen manufactured for these cars (R170s). Others use use excessive silicone couples and clamps that don't fit as nice in the engine bay as Needswings does.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
How does more volume and better airflow sound to you? Again not trying to be rude but where the hell have you seen a round to square transition with a tight bending radius like that

Get your CAD program out and play with it -- there's room. There are a couple of designs that would be better than what is shown. Why not a smooth 45 degree bend like what's to the front of intake? If the current design gets X more RWHP it could be X + 2 with a better inlet design.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 PM

'10 P30 C63 AMG

I had mine Powder Coated. Get ready to hear that S/C whine.

And guys, Needswings has been around for a LOOONG time.

Their SRT-6 is currently running 12.098 at 114.4 MPH. They know what they're doing.

Last edited by Illegal Machine; 07-16-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
hoorays if it works as claimed, but unfortunately it's fugly.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 PM

'10 P30 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by FrankW
hoorays if it works as claimed, but unfortunately it's fugly.
I believe in that thread he specifically states that that is just the prototype. He fields some suggestions as to how it can be "beautified". haha

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
thank you for the ideas thus far, keep them coming and i'll see hwo many votes we get.

as for why this part exists...

it is definitely for function and not for cosmetics, the function we have figured out already, sorry i cant spill the beans on that yet but i'll say that it is using much larger mandrel bent tubing, larger plenum / runners and should dissapate heat better. basically we are working inward on the srt6 and opening up bottlenecks.

why a plate?

it is a nitrous backfire plate so your hood doesn't get blown off.

Last edited by Illegal Machine; 07-16-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Illegal Machine
I believe in that thread he specifically states that that is just the prototype. He fields some suggestions as to how it can be "beautified". haha
yea, I read the thread up until he had the initial dyno done, but no dyno sheet was posted. I dunno...IMO it's still gonna be fugly...lol like my airbox without the front cover.

John, that's a looking setup you posted. I may get the heat exchanger this summer after I sell my DCR 19". would you still be down for helping install? lol

Last edited by FrankW; 07-17-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 AM

'10 P30 C63 AMG
yea, I read the thread up until he had the initial dyno done, but no dyno sheet was posted. I dunno...IMO it's still gonna be fugly...lol like my airbox without the front cover.
Function over form?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...I may get the heat exchanger..would you still be down for helping install?
Anytime, Frank.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 PM

MB
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
Get your CAD program out and play with it -- there's room.
And just press control p or command p and its done right Remember the majority of us are on a budget, getting CAD designers involved plus a machine shop to produce a tangible product would most likely blow any sense of a budget out the door.

On a serious note my intentions where not to start arguments here. I don't work for Needswings but I have been a return customer for quite some time. Once I saw some interest on this forum for his product I was stoked. Then when I actually read the negative posts I felt the need to "clear the air" that these aren't just some random attempt to manufacture a speed part. Rob is a standup guy who stands by his products. If it where my product I would hope that my patrons would support me as well.

Originally Posted by splinter
Since he’s still “a few days away from releasing them,” kindly let us know how they work on yours.
Unfortunately & fortunately that won't happen for a while as my fiancée and I just bought a home and are getting married here this weekend so all dough is spoken for the time being. One day though
Old 07-17-2008, 02:25 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
And just press control p or command p and its done right Remember the majority of us are on a budget, getting CAD designers involved plus a machine shop to produce a tangible product would most likely blow any sense of a budget out the door.

On a serious note my intentions where not to start arguments here. I don't work for Needswings but I have been a return customer for quite some time. Once I saw some interest on this forum for his product I was stoked. Then when I actually read the negative posts I felt the need to "clear the air" that these aren't just some random attempt to manufacture a speed part. Rob is a standup guy who stands by his products. If it where my product I would hope that my patrons would support me as well.

Unfortunately & fortunately that won't happen for a while as my fiancée and I just bought a home and are getting married here this weekend so all dough is spoken for the time being. One day though
Was never my intent to be negative.....just a simple "here may be a better design that what has been depicted" intent. Everyone on this board as well as the Crossfire boards share a common interest in squeezing more performance out of their rides -- that's it. One way to do it is with input from others who may, and some may not , have valid points to take in consideration...

Splinter's post above shows a better design for the tube leading into the inlet boxes than what was shown further up in this post. Were moving in the right direction!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 PM

not stock.
do you know what gains he achieved with that mod done to the intake manifolds ??

this would fairly easy for me to do as I have all parts off the car right now..and if it has some nice gains i rather do it from the getgo.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Don't get me wrong LET makes some nice stuff but I haven't seen any intake manifolds such as these coming from them. Not trying to be a jerk but you don't know what you are talking about.

How does more volume and better airflow sound to you? Again not trying to be rude but where the hell have you seen a round to square transition with a tight bending radius like that

Way to state the obvious there. Bottom line is these are better than the stock manifolds annnnnd Rob knows the owners for these cars don't like to spend a lot of money on mods. The aluminum is waaaaay cheaper than carbon composites.

That's right because the stock intake sucks (and not air ). He is designing parts to work collectively with one another, not just one or the other.

I can tell from reading the subpar responses from the majority of members here and I have to say that I'm disappointed. Maybe if it were LET that had designed and manufactured it everyone's responses would be better. Such a shame... end rant...

Hey, I'm in if they work and are a reasonable price.
I am not attached to any one company. I use LET and Code III. If he can make these available and they work, PM ME asap for a set. Since I am car stupid, all I need is some easy install instructions and we're rolling.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 PM

'10 P30 C63 AMG
Fabricated hardware from 240M3SRT:

photo credit 240M3SRT

photo Credit 240M3SRT

photo credit 240M3SRT

photo credit 240M3SRT

^^ FYI those intakes were fabbed up by BDJ's Racing in Dallas, Tx.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
^^ FYI those intakes were fabbed up by BDJ's Racing in Dallas, Tx.
These wont fit the c32 with tiny firewall clearance will they? Thinkn no would would like to hear yes........
Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by loungn14
These wont fit the c32 with tiny firewall clearance will they? Thinkn no would would like to hear yes........
Kinda doubt it. The SL55 splitter is already too close on mine. Can’t say for sure though.

FYI those intakes were fabbed up by BDJ's Racing in Dallas, Tx.
You’re correct. Contact info is here.

do you know what gains he achieved with that mod done to the intake manifolds ??...
No. There’s plenty of worthwhile R&D he’s shared in his thread.

A mortgage and matrimony before manifolds? Wise choice. Congratulations!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 PM

CL 600
do you know what gains he achieved with that mod done to the intake manifolds ??

this would fairly easy for me to do as I have all parts off the car right now..and if it has some nice gains i rather do it from the getgo.
Well heres to my first post ever on MBworld.

I achieved 3 car lengths racing against my buddies srt6(bdjs racing actually), when i only used to could pull 1-1.5...we think its a 25-30whp mod, but i havent had a chance to dyno yet.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 PM

MB
A mortgage and matrimony before manifolds? Wise choice. Congratulations!
Thanks ! It was a blast! We got good and drunk on a Mexican Riviera honeymoon cruise. Hot and humid as hell down there with TERRIBLE road conditions. Definitely not an ideal location for these cars.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Well heres to my first post ever on MBworld.

I achieved 3 car lengths racing against my buddies srt6(bdjs racing actually), when i only used to could pull 1-1.5...we think its a 25-30whp mod, but i havent had a chance to dyno yet.
Those look good. Probably much more cost effective than fully fabricated units too. I've heard that the factory plenums are magnesium, though. I would assume that this is not true since they were able to weld on aluminum tubes???
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Gotta love it! It's good times to be a C32/SRT6 owner. Just as the market crapped out on the retail price of our cars (C32s at least) and I was about to pitch a fit, I decided to keep the car a bit longer and now we have all these great mods coming up from everyone like LET, C3P, and these new (to most of us here at least) guys on the SRT6 boards. Now I have something to keep me interested in the car a bit longer and not worry about how little these things are worth these days.
Hopefully the C32 and SRT6 tuners can work together and come up with mods that benefit us all. Seems these little SRTs I used to laugh at have turned into some real screamers to watch out for!
Keep up the great work!