C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sheet metal intake plenums...yes please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Sheet metal intake plenums...yes please!

Alright, I apologize if this is a re-post, but I haven't seen these mentioned yet on this forum. If you don't cruise Crossfireforum.org, you should. There are a lot of SRT-6 guys over there posting up some great 1/4 mile times. If you haven't heard, the Crossfire SRT-6 runs the same engine and trans as the C32/SLK32 AMG. Most of the mods they're doing also fit and work on the C32.

Anyway, here is a new mod that is currently being developed, and looks to be worth some great power gains.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=19961
Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 C36 AMG
that is definitely the ugliest intake plenum I have ever seen, I hope the production unit looks nothing like that
Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
what's the purpose?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM

2002 C32 AMG
More airflow due to less intake restriction yielding more power.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
bah....i will just pick up the LET intake instead...
Old 07-13-2008, 10:19 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
I just don't see where that set-up will give you anything more that what we already have. The curved bend on the closest cylinders to the bump looks promising but the design on the back end by the firewall sucks (and not air). There is room back there so why not a nice square to round transition to the box vs. a round inlet duct into the plenum's?

Doesn't really look like it was designed with the best intentions of moving air in an efficeint manner. Just my 2 cents......
Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I'd rather have a carbon composite intake manifold. If a similar design were to be made in carbon/kevlar composite, that would be better IMO. My CF guy makes CF intakes for the corvette ZO6, but they are way simpler design than our intakes. The way Needswings made it would make it impossible to use the stock intake. Maybe when I get a chance to install my phenolic spacers, I'll show it to him and ask if he can make a mold of them. Makes me think about a nitrous plate too.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by Dr. C36
that is definitely the ugliest intake plenum I have ever seen, I hope the production unit looks nothing like that
Not pretty but 30+ RWHP If thats actually true I suspect a lot of people will not be too concerned with looks.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Not pretty but 30+ RWHP If thats actually true I suspect a lot of people will not be too concerned with looks.
Exactly, this mod is not for the bling factor.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:59 PM

02 c32 99 superduty
I have much respect for a person who spends his time and money to make us more power.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by loungn14
You wouldn't pick this up "instead". You would still run your intake of choice, but these open the path AFTER the supercharger. If you ever have your factory plenums off, take a look inside the inlet tubes; they pinch down ridiculously small at the bend.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Eleventeen
You wouldn't pick this up "instead". You would still run your intake of choice, but these open the path AFTER the supercharger. If you ever have your factory plenums off, take a look inside the inlet tubes; they pinch down ridiculously small at the bend.
I hear ya, but have seen the LET intake, and it is much more than a tube and filter...think along the same lines...

The inlet tubes are indeed a joke, probably why most have gone sl55 splitter etc...
Old 07-14-2008, 10:12 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I hear ya, but have seen the LET intake, and it is much more than a tube and filter...think along the same lines...
I believe it; LET is coming out with some great products and tuning well below the cost of the big names.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
When a person thinks he knows what is available then something else comes along....
Old 07-15-2008, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Why not just make angled plenum spacers to increase the volume?

I used one on my old 350z and gained a nice 11 whp on a N/A engine...

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5...ry_Code=FX_ENG
Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
Why not just make angled plenum spacers to increase the volume?

I used one on my old 350z and gained a nice 11 whp on a N/A engine...

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5...ry_Code=FX_ENG
The volume is a bonus, but I think the real advantage will be larger inlet tubes leading to the back of the plenum. On the factory piece, the inlet tubes pinch down very small right at the bend before entering the "tank" portion.

I think the whole purpose of the plenum design that MB incorporated on these engines is to make (low-end) torque. It's actually pretty cool; I've never seen another manufacturer use this design on a supercharged car. However, I believe a better flowing design will let the engine breathe better in the upper RPM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
The volume is a bonus, but I think the real advantage will be larger inlet tubes leading to the back of the plenum. On the factory piece, the inlet tubes pinch down very small right at the bend before entering the "tank" portion.

I think the whole purpose of the plenum design that MB incorporated on these engines is to make (low-end) torque. It's actually pretty cool; I've never seen another manufacturer use this design on a supercharged car. However, I believe a better flowing design will let the engine breathe better in the upper RPM.
I see what you mean now by looking at this picture...

Old 07-15-2008, 08:49 PM

02 c32 99 superduty

It will be interesting to see some dyno results. I would think a larger inlet tube would decrease the speed at which the air enters the combustion chamber killing the much needed torque.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 PM

MB
Don't get me wrong LET makes some nice stuff but I haven't seen any intake manifolds such as these coming from them. Not trying to be a jerk but you don't know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
I just don't see where that set-up will give you anything more that what we already have. The curved bend on the closest cylinders to the bump looks promising but the design on the back end by the firewall sucks (and not air). There is room back there so why not a nice square to round transition to the box vs. a round inlet duct into the plenum's?

Doesn't really look like it was designed with the best intentions of moving air in an efficeint manner. Just my 2 cents
How does more volume and better airflow sound to you? Again not trying to be rude but where the hell have you seen a round to square transition with a tight bending radius like that

Originally Posted by pshek
I'd rather have a carbon composite intake manifold. If a similar design were to be made in carbon/kevlar composite, that would be better IMO.
Way to state the obvious there. Bottom line is these are better than the stock manifolds annnnnd Rob knows the owners for these cars don't like to spend a lot of money on mods. The aluminum is waaaaay cheaper than carbon composites.

The way Needswings made it would make it impossible to use the stock intake.
That's right because the stock intake sucks (and not air ). He is designing parts to work collectively with one another, not just one or the other.

I can tell from reading the subpar responses from the majority of members here and I have to say that I'm disappointed. Maybe if it were LET that had designed and manufactured it everyone's responses would be better. Such a shame... end rant...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM

not stock.
hmm...interesting.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by msheredy
Don't get me wrong LET makes some nice stuff but I haven't seen any intake manifolds such as these coming from them. Not trying to be a jerk but you don't know what you are talking about.
wow man stay off the meds....

If you check closely and knew much about the forum you would notice that the LET boys are friends of mine. The LET intake that "i don't know what i'm talking about" has not been released to the public yet.

If you read prior posts you will notice that I illuded to that.

As most of the tuners that work on these engines noted in prior discussions, the AMG engineers actually did a good job designing the intake on these cars. Just throwing more air at the engine does seem to lower low end torque, something that most of us dont want. We are patiently waiting on the street/dyno results from the needwings.....
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 PM

MB
If you read prior posts you will notice that I illuded to that.
Is this the post where you "illude" that you know of a product?

The inlet tubes are indeed a joke, probably why most have gone sl55 splitter etc...
If so why do you refer to the SL55 setup and filter . Dude the intake manifolds come after the air intake system.

Just throwing more air at the engine does seem to lower low end torque, something that most of us dont want. We are patiently waiting on the street/dyno results from the needwings.....
Did I read that right? Putting more air into the engine reduces torque Well then you might want to have a chat with any engine builder, they'll gladly tell you that you're full of it. Just have a look at the link below.

http://www.needswings.com/productimages/srt6caidyno.jpg

This is a stock engine with just his CAI installed. Please explain in increase in horsepower and torque...

As a side note: use of the term "intake" has become so generalized that I don't think many people are talking about the same part(s). It's a generation thing. When I was in my teen years when you spoke of an intake, it was in regards to the intake manifold. With the newer generation "intake" has become the term for the air filter system. Since there aren't any (yet released) intake manifolds out in the wild once someone does say "intake..." people assume it is a new air filter system.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:57 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Interesting, but would probably be an automatic fail for smog inspection here.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:15 PM

2010 C63
usually, sheet metal intakes gain a lot of power because of the trumpet style runners inside them. The trumpets are hidden inside the ugly intake but increase flow very nicely.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:16 PM

not stock.
Originally Posted by msheredy
Is this the post where you "illude" that you know of a product?

If so why do you refer to the SL55 setup and filter . Dude the intake manifolds come after the air intake system.

Did I read that right? Putting more air into the engine reduces torque Well then you might want to have a chat with any engine builder, they'll gladly tell you that you're full of it. Just have a look at the link below.

http://www.needswings.com/productimages/srt6caidyno.jpg

This is a stock engine with just his CAI installed. Please explain in increase in horsepower and torque...

As a side note: use of the term "intake" has become so generalized that I don't think many people are talking about the same part(s). It's a generation thing. When I was in my teen years when you spoke of an intake, it was in regards to the intake manifold. With the newer generation "intake" has become the term for the air filter system. Since there aren't any (yet released) intake manifolds out in the wild once someone does say "intake..." people assume it is a new air filter system.

is there air intake ram-air ? that is the only concern I would have with it... on a dyno it may show more gains but sometimes on a highway / street scenario they are not as efficient... im not trying to bash, just saying it would be all that nicer if it were ram air or at least had air forced / trapped to the filter location..

im holding back on my comments on the intake manifold until i see full dyno results..they look like an interesting piece and im glad they are being built with a "budget" in mind.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sheet metal intake plenums...yes please!