C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Climate Control Problem C32 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG RENNTech
Question Climate Control Problem C32 AMG

I have a 2002 C32 AMG and am having problems with the Climate Control System. The problem is twofold.

1. In extreme heat (exterior temp >95'F) the system shuts off, and in extreme cold (exterior temp <32'F) the system shuts off!! It will sometimes restart if I push one of the buttons.

2. Recently, at start, I hear a clicking and can hear a baffle flap opening and closing under the dash, and it appears to modulate the airflow between dash vents and foot well vents. It will do this for some time and then stop and function normally for a few minutes, then repeat. When it does this, the airflow is low, and cabin temperature increases quickly.

Any help in understanding this issue is appreciated. I would like to avoid a costly repair job at a dealer if possible and be comfortable driving the car again.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by kparekh
I have a 2002 C32 AMG and am having problems with the Climate Control System. The problem is twofold.

1. In extreme heat (exterior temp >95'F) the system shuts off, and in extreme cold (exterior temp <32'F) the system shuts off!! It will sometimes restart if I push one of the buttons.

2. Recently, at start, I hear a clicking and can hear a baffle flap opening and closing under the dash, and it appears to modulate the airflow between dash vents and foot well vents. It will do this for some time and then stop and function normally for a few minutes, then repeat. When it does this, the airflow is low, and cabin temperature increases quickly.

Any help in understanding this issue is appreciated. I would like to avoid a costly repair job at a dealer if possible and be comfortable driving the car again.
I don't know if #1 is related to #2 but I can tell you that #2 is your stepper motor gone bad. Actually, it is the crappy little plastic arm that comes off the motor that broke, so you need a new one. The worst part here is the labor to remove your entire dash to R&R the stepper motor. If you don't have any warranty left, expect to spend about $600 at the dealership.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 PM

C32 AMG RENNTech
Word from the dealer is that it is a broken cable $30 for the cable, but as you pointed out, the dash must come off, and the estimate is $375. Car has 22K miles on it, so I am disappointed that something this basic failed this early.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Word from the dealer is that it is a broken cable $30 for the cable, but as you pointed out, the dash must come off, and the estimate is $375. Car has 22K miles on it, so I am disappointed that something this basic failed this early.
I don't know if your dealer just calls the part a cable to simplify it or not but that is about the price of the stepper motor too. You are gettin of easy for $375 to R&R the dash.

If we are talking about the same part, it is a total F-Up in engineering. It breaks early and often. It doesn't have much to do with mileage. Oh well, it's the price of owning an MB.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:24 PM

C32 AMG RENNTech
Problem is fixed now. You were correct, the stepper motor and cable come as one kit, so even though the cable was the issue, both were replaced. Final cost was $375, $30 part, rest labor.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Problem is fixed now. You were correct, the stepper motor and cable come as one kit, so even though the cable was the issue, both were replaced. Final cost was $375, $30 part, rest labor.
Thank your dealer for being reasonable. My stepper motor replacement (although, covered by warranty) showed the cost should have been $608. Thank God for CPO.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:18 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Not actually a cable, it is a plastic arm. Rest assured though, the replacement P/N has been redesigned to be more durable, so you probably won't have the issue again... until the one on the other side goes.