C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Shift Knobs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Shift Knobs

We were talking about it before I got busy and I will likely have some free time next week so I'd like to work on the shift knob project a little if possible.

I sent a clay mold of the top of the C55 shift knob and it was not good enough for them to get a accurate read on how convex the top should be. I will send them an OEM shift knob but I want to make sure the C55 and C32 share the same knob before I send it to them. This project will likely only be possible if the same top is used in both cars. Does anyone know if these cars share the same knob and has it changed over the model years?

The second topic is the construction and I think I have that all figured out. I think a resin topped bubble will be the most cost effective and durable option. The laser engraved chrome or nickel will probably look awesome the day you install it and like complete crap shortly after without a good hard shell.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 AM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Yeah honestly I think that is the weakest part of the interior on our cars. The plastic sticker thing on the top of mine started peeling pretty bad the last couple years.

I cant find it now but someone on here got some shift knob from Germany that was something crazy like 500 euros, but it had the AMG logo and looked stunning. I swear if someone made one like that for a reasonable price, it would sell like hotcakes.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Simple google search answers the question: C55 and C32 knobs have a different design. However I dunno about the fitment.
C55: http://www.203club.com/model%20data%...55interior.jpg
C32: http://www.203club.com/model%20data%...32interior.jpg
Old 07-17-2008, 02:14 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
fitment should be the same except the manual model.

do you mean something like this for what you are trying to accomplish? the top with metal engrave?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:56 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Yeah the one that I really liked was the one that 360 iti got with the AMG emblem on top that kind of looked like this CLS one:

Or the SLK Black series one:

However it was something like 500 euros with shipping...

This was the thread but the images are broken now: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/156125-finally-something-our-boring-shifter.html
Old 07-19-2008, 04:01 AM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
Yeah honestly I think that is the weakest part of the interior on our cars. The plastic sticker thing on the top of mine started peeling pretty bad the last couple years.

I cant find it now but someone on here got some shift knob from Germany that was something crazy like 500 euros, but it had the AMG logo and looked stunning. I swear if someone made one like that for a reasonable price, it would sell like hotcakes.
You are right DarkXerox, my sticker that says c32 on the shift knob is halfway peeled out. I kinda like the c32 logo on mine. Do you know where I can find that same sticker? And also I am also interested in the c32 amg floor mats if anyone is selling theirs.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:11 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by alkrstev
You are right DarkXerox, my sticker that says c32 on the shift knob is halfway peeled out. I kinda like the c32 logo on mine. Do you know where I can find that same sticker? And also I am also interested in the c32 amg floor mats if anyone is selling theirs.
"C32" on the shiftknob wasn't sticker. it was printed on.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:50 AM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
yeah it's printed on, but the whole silver part of the knob is a big sticker (MB's cost cutting during that era). Mine has been peeling for awhile now.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Folex, any news on this?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
I ended up grabbing a Schatz shift-knob (carbon fiber + chrome trim) from
performanceproducts4benz.com quite a ways back for the same reason - the plastic peeling off the stock shifter.

This is pretty much it -

Check out the "Prestige Shift Knobs" here. I guess that's just the style code or model name for the Schatz pieces. There are a few out on eBay too. Definitely not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination. Mine feels extremely solid, doesn't heat up at all (even in direct sunlight), and looks fantastic. You can see the individual weaving of the carbon fiber and the look that it lends is phenomenal. I would imagine the wood versions are just as high quality (and I think they're cheaper too).

The only "issue" is that unless you get one off eBay, you have to wait for it to come from Germany, so it'll be a week or two until you get it. Definitely worth the wait, however
Old 07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by evilsaint
performanceproducts4benz.com quite a ways back for the same reason - the plastic peeling off the stock shifter.

This is pretty much it -

Check out the "Prestige Shift Knobs" here. I guess that's just the style code or model name for the Schatz pieces. There are a few out on eBay too. Definitely not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination. Mine feels extremely solid, doesn't heat up at all (even in direct sunlight), and looks fantastic. You can see the individual weaving of the carbon fiber and the look that it lends is phenomenal. I would imagine the wood versions are just as high quality (and I think they're cheaper too).

The only "issue" is that unless you get one off eBay, you have to wait for it to come from Germany, so it'll be a week or two until you get it. Definitely worth the wait, however
+1

I have that knob and love it. It has a great shape and feels great in the hand. Quality is superb and it looks so cool!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I just picked up and installed a Schatz shifter like the one pictured. That baby has some heft to it! Very solid feel...love it.
However, after installing it, the leather boot is just a smidgen too short. What did you guys do to get around this? I don't care to do any cutting or anything that would look tacky. My tacky peeling C32 shifter was the reason I replaced it in the first place. As it is now, the new shifter aaaaalmost pops the cover off when going to park or drive. It looks as though the shifter should sit lower on the shifter stick (for lack of a technical term) coming up from the tranny but its as low as it will go. Perhaps drill out the shifter knob so it will sit lower?

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 12-17-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 AM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
The sticker on mine came completely off, i bought this one off ebay for around $60. Its an aluminum piece with AMG etched in it rather then a sticker. Good quality too, but havent put it on the car yet...to lazy
Attached Thumbnails Shift Knobs-w203silver_sk.jpg  
Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by evilsaint

This is pretty much it -

Very nice but wow! are they pricey
Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Question

Originally Posted by greasybenz
The sticker on mine came completely off, i bought this one off ebay for around $60. Its an aluminum piece with AMG etched in it rather then a sticker. Good quality too, but havent put it on the car yet...to lazy
Please post a link or info so I can look it up.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:36 AM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-17-2008, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by greasybenz
I actually looked at that same shift knob on ebay and was trying to decide between that one and the Schatz. I decided on the Schatz just for the different look but the one you picked up will be a better fit as it looks the same as OEM. You should slap it on, takes 2 minutes to swap out.

c32used, the Schatz aren't too bad if you troll ebay. I got mine for $60, brand new in original box from Germany.

As for the tight fit, this seemed to have helped. Last night I took a bunch of leather conditioner and let it soak into the boot. It seemed to have softened it up just enough to keep the cover from popping off or lifting while in P or D. Plus its nice and soft now. Still not perfect, but better....
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
any update on pricing? I think the etched in AMG looks pretty good, as does the carbon fiber head...
Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG Sleeper
any update on pricing? I think the etched in AMG looks pretty good, as does the carbon fiber head...
Update on pricing for which?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Crossfire SRT6
Try this link..there are a few more and one with the AMG logo and birdseye maple which I think I want to put in my SRT6. It should look great with the Aero Blue console.

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...ry=Shift+Knobs

MikeR
Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by MikeR
Try this link..there are a few more and one with the AMG logo and birdseye maple which I think I want to put in my SRT6. It should look great with the Aero Blue console.

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...ry=Shift+Knobs

MikeR
Yeah the one with the leather would match great, but unfortunately our shifters have boots, so they wouldn't work.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by FrankW
"C32" on the shiftknob wasn't sticker. it was printed on.
it is definitely printed. you can feel the lettering is a bit ruffer. mine is so wore out, it turned pink.. i need a new one..
Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 AM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
I actually looked at that same shift knob on ebay and was trying to decide between that one and the Schatz. I decided on the Schatz just for the different look but the one you picked up will be a better fit as it looks the same as OEM. You should slap it on, takes 2 minutes to swap out.

c32used, the Schatz aren't too bad if you troll ebay. I got mine for $60, brand new in original box from Germany.

As for the tight fit, this seemed to have helped. Last night I took a bunch of leather conditioner and let it soak into the boot. It seemed to have softened it up just enough to keep the cover from popping off or lifting while in P or D. Plus its nice and soft now. Still not perfect, but better....
SilverBullet, do you have a pic of what your setup looks like? Like how stretched does the boot look?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG

Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Here's the shift knob I have on my coupe.

I bought it off ebay about 2 years ago. It's a knock off of the Brabus R171, but slightly different since it has CF on the top instead of alcantara, and the bottom metal rod is square instead of round. It used to say "Sport" on the top and it was a Keyless Go shift knob, but since then I have replaced the top with a Brabus emblem and got rid off the Keyless Go feature. My guess is that it was made in Taiwan, but I have never seen anymore of these anywhere.

This is the authentic R171 Brabus shift knob that I replaced with the knock off. The CF on the knock off matches the CF trim on my center console better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shift Knobs