C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

can someone point me in the right direction(c55 1/4 mile ?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c55 amg
can someone point me in the right direction(c55 1/4 mile ?)

hello all, i am curious if anyone is able to post or give me a link to the fastest 1/4 mile a c55 has accomplished n/a. i looked in the drag times sticky thread but its mostly c32's.
any help is appreciated
-thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by iflymyc55
hello all, i am curious if anyone is able to post or give me a link to the fastest 1/4 mile a c55 has accomplished n/a. i looked in the drag times sticky thread but its mostly c32's.
any help is appreciated
-thanks

Dragtimes.com will give it to you
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by iflymyc55
any help is appreciated
-thanks
Dragtimes is a good source but, not to many C55's. Anyway a modded C55 w/o a s/c is running between 12.0's to 12'5, w/o mods like its been said b/f 13.0 to 13.5. Once you are modded traction becomes a problem. Quaife is the best mod imo if you do decided to put on any bolt-ons.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I'm hoping to be that guy MY C55 was able to pull a 13.2 a 108mph bone stock. temp was 60 degrees. I went back to the drags after all my mods a pulled a 13.2 at 108mph again, but the temp was 95 degrees out so I'm waiting untill I can get some cooler weather out here in AZ to try and get into the 12s. I got a video on you tube somewere
Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 AM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I'm hoping to be that guy MY C55 was able to pull a 13.2 a 108mph bone stock. temp was 60 degrees. I went back to the drags after all my mods a pulled a 13.2 at 108mph again, but the temp was 95 degrees out so I'm waiting untill I can get some cooler weather out here in AZ to try and get into the 12s. I got a video on you tube somewere
Try to get an lsd and then 12's won't be a problem believe me!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM

c55 amg
so mods such as headers, ecu, underdrive pulley, and cf airbox is good for low 12's from what i understand. on another note though, does anyone know how the vrp headers compare to the kleeman or renntech ones?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:21 AM

2005 C55 AMG
The mods you mentioned WILL NOT get you into the low or even mid 12's. It's simple math --- power to weight ratios. You have a 3900 lb car and it will take 400+ rwhp to get you to those ET's. You will not see low 12's w/o either adding a supercharger, or going the easier route of adding nitrous. I believe C55Asleep runs 12.40's with his mods (equal to the ones you listed), plus a limited-slip differential, and also a 50-shot of nitrous.

Hooleyboy's car seems to be somewhat of an anomaly in performance, as he has posted good numbers in stock trim, and will certainly improve upon them by his recent mod list.

There are countless threads on this forum about people's recipes for mods, but at the end of the day they're all basically the same. The C55 is very limited in being mod-friendly, as it appears AMG did a good job of max'ing out the potential from the factory --- short of adding true power adders as mentioned above.

My C55 has definitely been a disappointment when it comes to 1/4 mile times, and is clearly one of the slower 55's to come out of the factory. I still love driving the car though, and it's great daily transportation. Per my 13.5 - 13.6 ET's, I've decided to scrap any aspirations of beefing up the performance any further. For my needs, there is really no reason to go spend thousands of dollars to simply pick up maybe .5 in the 1/4 mile. I'd still have a low 13 or high 12 at best, and from a drag racing standpoint that is really, really slow.

My hat's off to the few folks on this board that have made their C55's perform well, ie C55Asleep, Hooley, and a few others. However, it cost them a considerable amount of money to get there, and for me the money spent vs. the performance gains is just too minimal to justify that cost.
I certainly am not discouraging you or anyone else from modding the car. In fact, I fully support he idea and love seeing the positive results. I just don't want anyone to have false expectations of what they'll gain per a certain recipe of mods. There are numerous websites that can help you estimate how much horsepower it will take to produce certain 1/4 mile times. It may not be absolute, but it will certainly get you close enough to help make decisions regarding your mods and their estimated results.

Best wishes in your endeavors!

Last edited by JToups386; 07-22-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by JToups386
...I still love driving the car though...
It’s all good.

You’ve got that nasty GN in your garage just waiting ‘till it’s time to get after it.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:48 AM

c55 amg
well ill have a baseline dyno done at the end of this week just to check things out, but i will certainly be somewhat dissapointed if i can not accomplish a 12.2 with this car n/a...im familiar with the concept of hp to weight ratios when it comes to what car should run certain numbers with x amount of horsepower and weight, but im coming from a gto with around 465 rwhp that did not run the numbers it should have at the track, and then watching other gto's that dont perform on the dyno but run some excellent numbers at the track...i certainly agree that the variances in each vehicles power makes a difference, so i just hope i purchased one of the stronger ones. on another note, i would love to go forced induction, but i cant bring myself to spend 10-15k on a blower.. the money isnt so much the issue, i just dont think that a blower should cost around the same general price as a decent used car haha. ive looked into HPS but all ive heard is bad things, id love to put one of their blowers on and call it a day, but it just seems like the problems theyve had are ridiculous? i like the magnusson mp112 blower though, ive seen it work wonders on the 6.0 LS2...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 AM

Bicycle
Jtoups386, is right i did run a 12.4 with the mods listed and a 50 shot but i did not have the lsd installed at the time. I know for a fact that now the car will run a lot better with the lsd maybe even go into the 11's. I have ran the car several times without nos and i have ran consistently 12.7 to 12.8 with hot weather (80 degrees) in Miami and with plenty of traction issues. The c55 is really underestimated imo, but with the right mods there is no doubt that mid 12's is an issue n/a.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Don't get too optimistic; LSD's only make a big difference if you're not already pulling both wheels evenly (only talking drag racing here). I don't know about the C55, but my C32 will pull both wheels evenly while going in a straight line almost every time. I put it in dyno mode and it is the same story. My 60's are much better in the Benz than they were in my C5 Z06, and that was a lighter car with LSD and larger tires.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:53 PM

06 C55
stock

stock is 13.2 to 13.8, depending on a number of things.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:35 AM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
Don't get too optimistic; LSD's only make a big difference if you're not already pulling both wheels evenly (only talking drag racing here). I don't know about the C55, but my C32 will pull both wheels evenly while going in a straight line almost every time. I put it in dyno mode and it is the same story. My 60's are much better in the Benz than they were in my C5 Z06, and that was a lighter car with LSD and larger tires.
No problem my friend
Old 07-23-2008, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
My C55 has definitely been a disappointment when it comes to 1/4 mile times, and is clearly one of the slower 55's to come out of the factory. I still love driving the car though, and it's great daily transportation. Per my 13.5 - 13.6 ET's, I've decided to scrap any aspirations of beefing up the performance any further. For my needs, there is really no reason to go spend thousands of dollars to simply pick up maybe .5 in the 1/4 mile. I'd still have a low 13 or high 12 at best, and from a drag racing standpoint that is really, really slow.

Geez, you sound like me with my ML55, Very hard to mod and when you do it, its expensive. The ONLY real shot I have at modding my ML 55 (same engine by the way as the C55), is maybe ECM tuning by JerryTune and intake as well as Nitrous. My C32 was very easy to mod and for less than $1000 (code III pulley and intake and ECM tune, is now a rocket). I'd do a nitrous shot 50-75, thats about your best bet. Thats what I am doing with the ML since short of Kleemann for $15 K, thats the only real shot at HP for me.

I'd still have a low 13 or high 12 at best, and from a drag racing standpoint that is really, really slow.

Actually, from a street car perspective, that is very fast. How many cars save those over $75 K do that???
Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM

2005 C55 AMG
[/B]

Geez, you sound like me with my ML55, Very hard to mod and when you do it, its expensive. The ONLY real shot I have at modding my ML 55 (same engine by the way as the C55), is maybe ECM tuning by JerryTune and intake as well as Nitrous. My C32 was very easy to mod and for less than $1000 (code III pulley and intake and ECM tune, is now a rocket). I'd do a nitrous shot 50-75, thats about your best bet. Thats what I am doing with the ML since short of Kleemann for $15 K, thats the only real shot at HP for me.

I'd still have a low 13 or high 12 at best, and from a drag racing standpoint that is really, really slow.

Actually, from a street car perspective, that is very fast. How many cars save those over $75 K do that???[/QUOTE]

I guess it's all relative. When I bought my new '99 Z28 it ran a 13.35 its first trip down the track, bone stock. I took the air filter out for the second pass and went 13.15. That was a $26k car. Any C6 stock Corvette will run in the 12's, and even the new Pontiac G8 will run mid 13's stock. There are plenty of affordable production cars that'll run those numbers now w/ very little mod efforts. It's just a matter of what you want to drive. Personally, I don't consider a low 13 or high 12 second car "fast", because everything I've driven daily since 1991 has run those numbers or considerably better. Heck, when I traded in the Z28 on the C55 it was a mid-11 second daily driver, so now I'm driving something 2 seconds slower. But I'm still as happy as can be w/ my slower C55, as it's a joy to drive, and feels quicker than it is. There's really very little about the car that I don't like. No regrets whatsoever.
I would still like to throw a shot of nitrous on it just for kicks, but then I'd become a bottle-junkie, and I'm not sure I want to subject my daily transportation so such abuse. In reality, I need to get off my lazy butt and fix the minor things needing to be done on my GN, so I can go flog it at the track and leave the C55 for sensible transportation.

And don't get me wrong, the C55 is certainly still capable of beating plenty of things on the road. To my surprise, I've beaten numerous folks that I expected to get hammered by. It would appear others are slower than they should be too, and since I get fairly decent traction off the line I've gotten several wins unexpectedly. I thoroughly enjoyed beating two GTO's last weekend at the track, along w/ other victims. I just don't allow myself to get upset if I do get beat, because I fully expect it to happen in most cases...
Old 07-24-2008, 03:43 PM

c55 amg
well ill keep you all posted on the mod list and how the 1/4 times come along. thanks for all the help and insight. its greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
i would bet most of these car are just about the same. As one member said he thought his car was on the slow side. running at 13.6ish. Those 10ths i would bet are your outside conditions. Depending on were int eh country you live will totally affect your time. There are a lot of proving grounds out here in AZ and in SoCal. as the temps and conditions are in most cases spitting images of the last day. A Dry summer day for people in the North East would feel very Humid to us folks here in AZ. Then you get into High and Low pressure systems and other weather junk. a 13.6 maybe your best time and even on what you think is a good day to race. But somewhere else in the USA you could do better. Or even worse for that matter. The best i can recall a stock c55 1/4 mile time is a 13.2 and there are a number of us that have done that. but that's just it its the best time not our average time. Ive pulled 13.5 and 13.6's too. Some people may be disappointed with 13.6 but i bet if you can to AZ in November or December time you would do much better. There is a cool meter out on the market that you punch in a bunch of data and it read weather and atmospheric conditions. and it tells you what time your car will run and what the elevation feels like. in AZ at 1400ft on a for day it would be like running at 4500ft. that's what this meter tells you.
A guy on this forum who has an SRT-6 who kills me every time had one and it was fairly accurate.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 07-24-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: i cant spell nor do i proofread
Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
[B]I guess it's all relative. When I bought my new '99 Z28 it ran a 13.35 its first trip down the track, bone stock. I took the air filter out for the second pass and went 13.15. [/B*** NOTE, was probably an SS model with stick right??? *** ]That was a $26k car. Any C6 stock Corvette will run in the 12's, and even the new Pontiac G8 will run mid 13's stock.

Actually (from MT Mag, the G8 GT ran a 14.1 at 100.8 MPH. The new 09 Maxima ran 14.7 at 96.1, so I don't see how these cars are running anywhere near the low 13s that you state. A stock(not pre-production ringer) GNX never ran better than low 13's (13.3 at 104 was the best)and it was made to be the Premier "stock" drag car for its time. A good running C32 or C55 will take it all day long and handle better to boot). The GNs (stock) were all running in the 13s and 14s when they came out, so the C55, for a DD that you can drive every day, even in the winter, is a quick car compared to many others(and you can pick them up nowadays in the $20s) Now, if you compare it to my GSXR 1000, its a slug. Heck, all the Ducati's I know are slugs against the GSX-R. Come on Desmodeicci!!

All in all, the C32 and C55 are good choices for quick stock cars.