Possible C55 purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 M3 CS
Possible C55 purchase

Hi All,

My brother is looking into possibly getting a C55. I am trying to convince him otherwise because he intends on doing track days ( and eventually move to some racing) next year after finishing his medical residency program. I don't think the C55 is the ideal car for that but he made the point that his wife could always use it and move to something else. My questions has to do with reliability? For those in the know, how has the reliability of the car been? Any known issues? He'd be getting a CPO car. He wanted to consider a C32 but after sitting in the interior and looking at the quality, that was the end of that chat. Any input on this would be more than welcome. Cheers.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 AM

05 C55
Originally Posted by isheetmuhdraws
Hi All,

My brother is looking into possibly getting a C55. I am trying to convince him otherwise because he intends on doing track days ( and eventually move to some racing) next year after finishing his medical residency program. I don't think the C55 is the ideal car for that but he made the point that his wife could always use it and move to something else. My questions has to do with reliability? For those in the know, how has the reliability of the car been? Any known issues? He'd be getting a CPO car. He wanted to consider a C32 but after sitting in the interior and looking at the quality, that was the end of that chat. Any input on this would be more than welcome. Cheers.
46,xxx miles without an issue. my 05 has been dead on reliable as a dd.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Hi All,

Whats wrong with the 'quality' of the c32?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:49 PM

04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
Originally Posted by pointman
I'll admit. The interior sucks, but doesn't matter cause when your driving/enjoying the car your not thinking about the interior.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
So far my C55 has been bullet proof. I could not say the same for my C32...
Old 07-27-2008, 01:04 PM

2005 M3 CS
Originally Posted by pointman
I think the quality of the C32 isn't quite as good as that of the C55. It's just my opinion, but I don't think it's up the standards as the interior of the Audi S4 or the M3 for that matter (from the 2003-2004 model years) Given that he'll only be driving it for a year or so before handing it over to his wife, the interior becomes more of a factor.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Likewise, absolutely zero issues with my wife's C55. As far as reliability goes, the C55 has a built-in advantage over the C32 in that there's no supercharger and, especially, intercooler pump to cause problems. The normally aspirated AMG 55 engine is about as bullet proof as they come and the lack of complicated systems (like Airmatic, ABC or SBC) that plague other series helps keep the car trouble-free.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:52 PM

2005 M3 CS
What are you guys finding on average in daily driving when it comes to fuel mileage?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

06 C55
What are you guys finding on average in daily driving when it comes to fuel mileage?
If you buying a ///AMG fuel mileage should not be a issue they don't get gas guzzler tax for no reason.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:22 PM

05 C55
i average around 19. 10 mile commute each way, 8 of it is highway.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 PM

2005 M3 CS
Originally Posted by mdf27
If you buying a ///AMG fuel mileage should not be a issue they don't get gas guzzler tax for no reason.
It's an issue for some people. Sometimes it's better to not respond, rather than say something that has no bearing on the question at hand.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
It's an issue for some people. Sometimes it's better to not respond, rather than say something that has no bearing on the question at hand.
I believe the point was that the C55 is usually purchased by performance minded people that are less MPG oriented and more MPH oriented.

That being said, you really need to search this forum better. You will find that many owners here track their C55's (with much success) and still find their sedans to be admirable daily drivers. There are several posts with links to videos of C55's overtaking M3's, M6's and 911's during hot laps at tracks around North America. Check it out. You will probably stop nagging your brother to do something besides the C55.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:31 PM

2005 M3 CS
Originally Posted by ScottW911
I believe the point was that the C55 is usually purchased by performance minded people that are less MPG oriented and more MPH oriented.

That being said, you really need to search this forum better. You will find that many owners here track their C55's (with much success) and still find their sedans to be admirable daily drivers. There are several posts with links to videos of C55's overtaking M3's, M6's and 911's during hot laps at tracks around North America. Check it out. You will probably stop nagging your brother to do something besides the C55.
Again, you can read my previous quote. I am very familiar with driving North American race tracks, as well as most of the ones in Brazil and a few in England, thanks. I asked a simple question and a few people were kind enough to share their thoughts. Speaking of nagging.........how about you bypass this thread and move on to someone who is interested in reading your diatribe, thanks.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Again, you can read my previous quote. I am very familiar with driving North American race tracks, as well as most of the ones in Brazil and a few in England, thanks. I asked a simple question and a few people were kind enough to share their thoughts. Speaking of nagging.........how about you bypass this thread and move on to someone who is interested in reading your diatribe, thanks.
Whoa, Dude. You come to this forum as a BMW nube with a 'tude. No one was attacking you or your driving. I did not even mention your skills or experience? I was pointing out that the C55 is a very capable track car and you would be able to find evidence of that within this forum of mostly civil enthusiasts. Where in the hell did you read anything (let alone, anything derogatory) about you?

I have not seen anyone question your veracity for mileage or your driving skills, yet you seem to believe that is exactly what is happening.

Listen, pal, if you wish for me to avoid you, I will do so without any hesitation. I recommend that the other members of this forum do so also.

We strive to maintain civility. We don't care much for antagonists.

Ba' bye.

Last edited by ScottW911; 07-27-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I think the quality of the C32 isn't quite as good as that of the C55. It's just my opinion, but I don't think it's up the standards as the interior of the Audi S4 or the M3 for that matter (from the 2003-2004 model years) Given that he'll only be driving it for a year or so before handing it over to his wife, the interior becomes more of a factor.
that's all personal preference. I had a E46 coupe and several friendsss as well 325/328/330/zhp/zcpM3/M3 vert...you name it. IMO they're about the same. I had the door seal came off twice, broken sunroof cover, and I had the rear deck rattle all within first 6 months of owning the e46 coupe. so far in 6 years I have only had a broken chrome trim around the shiftknob from taking the dash apart too many times to DIY stuff in my 32. friend's B5 S4 in comparison never had any interior issue.

the C55 interior is of course better than the C32 other than the aluminum trim should really be banned because it's so cheap. 07 sport sedans have better wood trims.

C55's fuel economy won't be that much different than the e46 M3.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-27-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Old 07-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Almost a Member!

06 C55
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo

that's funny he broke the scale
great video
Old 07-27-2008, 09:47 PM

2005 C55 AMG
I was able to get 22mpg on my recent road trip of 130 miles w/ the sunroof closed. With it open I averaged 21.5. I typically average 14.9 in the city, according to the onboard display stats. I've had very little maintenance issues in my first 6 months of ownership and the car has 59k on it as of today. The worst thing being the need for engine/transmission mounts due to them leaking hydraulic fluid and causing a bit of a rough idle feel. I hope that helps answer your original questions.

Now, on a personal note, I have to agree with the response of ScottW911, in that you really need to check your attitude at the door. I hesitated in providing any feedback whatsoever simply after seeing your username. It wreaks of immaturity! The fact that you came into this forum and spoke poorly of both the C32 and C55 is not a good start. And then you immediately trashed several people for their responses, (some of which are longtime senior members here), simply indicates you lack common sense and forum etiquette. Per your quick jump to defensiveness, I'd imagine you were the kid that got beat up a lot in school. Let me express a sincere apology to you for being that kid, and therefore causing you to be such a "tool" now...
Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 CLS450 4matic, 2013 CLS550 4matic (totaled), 2005 C55 (traded), & a Ford F150
The way you disrespected Scottw911... response being withheld
Old 07-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
…I am trying to convince him otherwise…
Are you his keeper?

Perhaps it’s time to revaluate your seemingly ineffective persuasiveness with your sibling and his hapless wife. He should have at least positioned himself at his station in life to have more than one dedicated track machine readily available upon his beck and call.

Has your lowly M proven itself unworthy or otherwise deficient to pique his/her interest?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Hi All,

My C55 has been a daily driver (even in the winter), a family car, and occasional track car (I go about 3-5 times a season). In 3 years of ownership, the car has been very reliable with no major mechanical or electrical problems other than some blown external bulbs and a sunrooof control unit which needed replacement earlier this year.

As a track car, the C55 can keep up with a E46 M3 (assuming no major differences in driver skill and both stock on street tires). In fact, I suspect for the average driver on your typical lapping days, it is EASIER to go faster in a C55 than a E46 M3 (mainly because of the fast shifting automatic transmission), as my personal experience has revealed to me. What many people don't realize is that the C55 has objective handling numbers which are VERY close to the M3. Laptimes in head to head comparisons are very close. The M3 does have an edge in the slowest, tightest turns, but the advantage is a relatively small one. Just look up your major magazines (like R&T, C&D, MT, Evo, Sport Auto, etc....), and you'll see what I mean when it comes to numbers like skidpad grip, slalom speeds, and laptimes.

The main difference between the C55 and E46 M3 is really about the subjective driving experience......the M3 does have better steering feel and sense of "balance" when at the limit. The flipside to that is the C55 is a superior daily driver with a touch more comfort and a more "relaxed" demeanor on the streets.

I've always looked at it this way: the C55 has 95% of the handling and 105% of the straight line acceleration of the E46 M3.

As others have indicated, the rated fuel economy of the C55 is very similar to the 6 speed manual E46 M3 (which is another fact many people don't realize).

Back in 2005, the C55 was my car of choice because I wanted the performance of the E46 M3, but in a much more practical and conservative 4 door package that my wife can drive too. Later on, the RS4 came out, which outperforms both on a track, but it was also much more expensive (at least in Canada).

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 07-27-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
relax man, it's only ppls opinion and thoughts
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
here's an example of the c55's track creditials.

Nurburg Ring Lap times. The e46 m3 and c55 got the exact same times.

8:16 --- Aston Martin DB9
8:17 --- Aston Martin Vanquish
8:17 --- Renault R26.R <-- fastest FWD record
8:18 --- BMW Z8
8:18 --- Ferrari F355
8:20 --- Audi RS6
8:20 --- BMW M3 E36
8:20 --- Camaro SS (2010)
8:22 --- BMW M3 E46
8:22 --- BMW M Coupe
8:22 --- Mercedes-Benz C55
8:22.3 - Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R
8:22.8 - Chevrolet Cobalt SS
8:23 --- Aston Martin DB7 GT
8:23 --- Porsche Boxster S
8:23 --- Porsche 996 Carrera 4
Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 AM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
Maybe you should do a search on here and also on Google to find out what MPG is before asking a silly question such as yours. No need to be a jerk and be snotty to those who are kind enough to respond to your question and keep this thread from dying out on the 4th page.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 AM

2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
the car has been rock solid for me since day one mile one. i now have 63,500 miles and it's still pushing. I have had some of the small fixes along the way, but nothing to discourage a sale. I also have intentions of maybe tracking one day, so i have recently started to put some money into my car, and also plan to keep for more years than expected. As for MPG i have gotten as high as 25.4, low as 9, and i usually average 17-18 mostly streets. Can't go wrong with the C55.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible C55 purchase