Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Need help C55 W203 suspension issues

Done ~50K km milege now.

Recently my local Benz original dealer replaced the rear shocks due to problem of the old shocks.

Possibly due to the difference of stiffness of the new shocks (rear) and the old (front); the car has excessive understeer. So, the dealer agreed they will also replace the front shocks later.

However, my major concern is the new shocks (rear) are far too bumpy even I have driven the car on these new shocks for over 2000km.
The shocks they have replaced are definitely original parts, however, they are felt much stiffer than the time when the car were new.

My plan is, if after the dealer has also replaced the front shocks, if the ride quality is still not satisfied, I will go for aftermarket shocks/the whole suspension.

Questions:-

1. Has anyone experienced the same after shocks are replaced?
2. What brands and models of aftermarket suspension are common for C55 W203 and yet to provide sporty performance?
3. Has anyone only changed the shocks to aftermarket ones? Meaning do I have to replace the springs as well?
4. If I change the whole suspension, do I need to replace the anti roll bars as well?
5. I would prefer non-Coliover suspension, or should I go for the Coilover?

Any advices are greatly appreciated.

t
Old 07-29-2008, 01:31 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
1. new shocks will feel stiffer, but it's mostly in your head.
2. Bilstein PSS9 and KW V2 are what C55 ppl use the most. TEIN SS and H&R will also work. Haven't seen a whole lot of people just going for springs on the C55.
3. changing the shocks to aftermarket doesn't mean you have to change the springs
4 no need. unless you want even stiffer ride and even less understeer
5. depends if you want to being able to adjust the height from time to time due to whatever situation.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
i have H&R's on my car, and i enjoy it thus far. I am however contemplating a coilover setup but for now it does the job. Im not sure myself how much difference coilovers would get me, whether it's looks, or better ride height, or handling. I reason i am considering in the future, is because i want to have a future track car.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by more151please
i have H&R's on my car, and i enjoy it thus far. I am however contemplating a coilover setup but for now it does the job. Im not sure myself how much difference coilovers would get me, whether it's looks, or better ride height, or handling. I reason i am considering in the future, is because i want to have a future track car.
you won't regret it. I love my coilover and my swaybars.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM

2005 Renntech C class
you must drive hard =)

For the most part - coilovers are for track cars that need the adjustability to suit different track conditions. Most shock dynos I've seen on 'street' coilovers really don't offer much of an 'upgrade'....

if your understeer is really that bad - try a more aggressive alignment and play with tire pressures before dumping the big bucks. I used to use washers/shims to gain more negative camber up front of my E36 m3 and the car became a whole different animal.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Hi Frank, and all, thanks for all your information.
I picked up my car today with the front shocks replaced with new original too.
Hell, my car is back to day-1 now ! Firm and stable at high speed !
The very bumpy rear issue and understeer issues actually have disappeared ! (So, it must be the difference of old front and new rear shocks created that bumpy rear issue)
So, thank God I don't need to consider aftermarket solutions for this moment.
Lesson learned is my car's old shocks were definitely f__k up after some 40000km , I should have got that replaced much sooner than wasted all my fun time on scarely body roll
I am just back from some up hill twisties street chasing with my buddies's 911 3er.., they all said they have never seen me driving that fast on this car
AMG rules!

Yes, i agree about needs of alignment and tire pressure tunings, my mood to do that is all back! thx. Btw, i found the steering is 'lighter and softer turns' now, guess that is to do with the dealer also re-adjusted the alignment after they replaced the front shocks. Shall I ask them to 'tighten' the steering a bit?

t

Last edited by cntlaw; 08-01-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:36 PM

2005 Renntech C class
not sure how they can 'tighten' the steering but you can certainly ask.

I remember my steering being heavier with less air pressure in the front so you can try that =)