C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Engine oil light lit - in red and don't know why...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Engine oil light lit - in red and don't know why...

Changed oil in all my cars for years. This morning about 10 miles into work the console says ENGINE OIL LEVEL in red. Any idea? No leaks, new filter with the rubber seals. I still need to run the display to see if it's too full.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by trbo2nr
Changed oil in all my cars for years. This morning about 10 miles into work the console says ENGINE OIL LEVEL in red. Any idea? No leaks, new filter with the rubber seals. I still need to run the display to see if it's too full.
Our oil level sensors are a little finicky.
It could also be a little low - how many quarts did you put in and what method did you use (i.e. remove from the top by vacuum or via the oil drain plug)?
I always drain my oil from the bottom and add 7.5 quarts back.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Question

Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Our oil level sensors are a little finicky.
It could also be a little low - how many quarts did you put in and what method did you use (i.e. remove from the top by vacuum or via the oil drain plug)?
I always drain my oil from the bottom and add 7.5 quarts back.
According to the suction tank, 9 liters came out and I put nine liters back in. I just checked the car after it sat for an hour and the gauge cluster said engine oil ok and the 1 malfunction from this morning was gone.

Can we add an old fashion dip stick to these cars. I don't like the cluster
as I feel more comfortable with a dipstick for measuring the oil.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
According to the suction tank, 9 liters came out and I put nine liters back in. I just checked the car after it sat for an hour and the gauge cluster said engine oil ok and the 1 malfunction from this morning was gone.
You mean 'quarts' and not 'liters', right?! Even if you added 9 quarts, that's probably a little much. Perhaps other C32 owners can chime in? In any case, there are many threads on this topic and I would say the average that people add is about 8 quarts.
Your suction system may also be frothing the oil a little and that can definitely lead to an erroneous volume reading.

Can we add an old fashion dip stick to these cars. I don't like the cluster as I feel more comfortable with a dipstick for measuring the oil.
A lot of people feel the same way! I'm pretty sure it's part # 112-010-03-72. There are several threads in the C32 forum on it.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by boohooramblers
You mean 'quarts' and not 'liters', right?! Even if you added 9 quarts, that's probably a little much. Perhaps other C32 owners can chime in? In any case, there are many threads on this topic and I would say the average that people add is about 8 quarts.
Your suction system may also be frothing the oil a little and that can definitely lead to an erroneous volume reading.

A lot of people feel the same way! I'm pretty sure it's part # 112-010-03-72. There are several threads in the C32 forum on it.
Forgive me for ever posting this. I should know better! Coming home it read
ENGINE OIL LEVEL and the second line read REDUCE OIL LEVEL. The OIL LEVEL lined up and I missed the REDUCE. My bad...... Doh- ^&%^&&
Old 08-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes C32 AMG
correction

you should be putting a little under eight quarts in, 8 and over the light will come on, and 7 and under the light will come on.------your manual tells u exactly what each light means btw