Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
look better, it's there.
Can you post a picture? If it's there, then I'm a dumbass because I don't see one.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by spr
I just had the dealer quote me that it was 815 bucks for just the fluid?????
Originally Posted by spr
What a moron did you out oil in the tranny???? I was old that the new wynhetic fluid is bank like 17/ liter??
¿Ha bebido?

For the erstwhile OP and other conscientious owners...722.6x pan drop & filter replacement DIY.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by splinter
¿Ha bebido?

For the erstwhile OP and other conscientious owners...722.6x pan drop & filter replacement DIY.
Just to note, that car in the pictures is not a C55. The tube behind the passenger side rear of the engine with the red pop cap is for engine oil. I've looked on my car a few times and there is not another dip stick tube somewhere that I can find. I just don't want someone to try and start doing this themself and get to the point where they need to add fluid and then either add trans fluid to the engine oil or realize they have no way to add the fluid and then have to get a tow to the dealer. I would love for Dingleberry to post up a picture of the C55's tube.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:27 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again you're a moron. That's a tranny fill tube. How many more people need to tell you? Can you read? Then read your owners manual.

You have poor logic and are incredibly stupid. Just because you only see one tube to fill fluids it must be for oil?? you're a f$cKing idiot.

Pull the front engine cover and the oil filler cap is on the lower right. Did you put oil in your tranny? Idiot. It you had half a brain you'd look in your manual instead of conjecuring with flawed logic without doing any research. Moron.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:58 PM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
Originally Posted by spr
Again you're a moron. That's a tranny fill tube. How many more people need to tell you? Can you read? Then read your owners manual.

You have poor logic and are incredibly stupid. Just because you only see one tube to fill fluids it must be for oil?? you're a f$cKing idiot.

Pull the front engine cover and the oil filler cap is on the lower right. Did you put oil in your tranny? Idiot. It you had half a brain you'd look in your manual instead of conjecuring with flawed logic without doing any research. Moron.
Why so harsh? The tube that 91RS is refering to is the engine oil dipstick tube, there is a red cap on it and it goes to the crankcase.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by spr

If I'm such an idiot, why don't you go take a picture of your engine bay pointing to where it is. The C55 only has one dipstick tube and its for engine oil. Only the non-AMG cars have the transmission dipstick (only with the 5 speed, not the 7G). I'm the one trying to prevent people from putting transmission fluid in their C55's engine. You want to know what my owner's manual says about transmission fluid? It says it doesn't need to be checked and to take it to a dealer. Nothing else about it. I'd love for my C55 to have a trans dipstick because I could do my transmission service myself.

Last edited by 91RS; 12-19-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Easy guys, I'll post the pic. Here it is, the red circle is where the engine oil dip stick tube. Almost right underneath it below hidden, there is another short small tube with a blk cover and a red tab, I believe thats the tranny tube.
Attached Thumbnails C55 tranny fluid/filter change..DIY?-engc55.jpg  

Last edited by 1Lop2K5C; 12-20-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Why the vitriol in our otherwise respectable section of the forum?

Seems there is some confusion regarding the specifics of our various crankcases’ oil extraction tubes and the transmission’s ATF fill tube.
Almost certain most here know where to add motor oil through the cam cover.

Our five-speed’s fill tube is wedged back in the hinterlands betwixt the lower RH cylinder head and firewall, just above the bellhousing. Cattywampus from the CPS.
Almost inaccessible on the ‘55s with the airbox fitted. It’s invariably easier to locate when performing MAF maintenance - btdt, too.

Note this picture was taken during fluid level verification after replenishment, and is therefore missing its locking/anti-tamper pin..

Members in good standing are welcome to borrow the specialty tools necessary to complete the task.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by spr

Not to throw salt on a wound - but as best I can tell, you both A. all fired up and B. dead wrong. The small tube, red cap, towards the passenger-side rear of the engine near the firewall is an engine oil extraction tube. M112s and 13s both have it - used mine several times during routine engine oil changes... works like a charm with my Mityvac.

Why so angry?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by splinter
Why the vitriol in our otherwise respectable section of the forum?

Seems there is some confusion regarding the specifics of our various crankcases’ oil extraction tubes and the transmission’s ATF fill tube.
Almost certain most here know where to add motor oil through the cam cover.

Our five-speed’s fill tube is wedged back in the hinterlands betwixt the lower RH cylinder head and firewall, just above the bellhousing. Cattywampus from the CPS.
Almost inaccessible on the ‘55s with the airbox fitted. It’s invariably easier to locate when performing MAF maintenance - btdt, too.

Note this picture was taken during fluid level verification after replenishment, and is therefore missing its locking/anti-tamper pin..

Members in good standing are welcome to borrow the specialty tools necessary to complete the task.
Thank you! Now wouldn't that have been easier then all the name calling spr? I have no problem with being proven wrong. I started a thread when I first got my car asking if the C55 had a dipstick tube because I looked several different times and couldn't find one (since it's right there in the open on the standard cars). Only one person said yes it had one and posted up a picture of the engine oil tube and no one else knew. It was not my intent to spread false information (though this is the only thread I've said anything about it), but I'm just trying to look out for others so fluid doesn't end up in the wrong place.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:41 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again on an m113 that's the tranny tube. There is no oil filler tube but instead an oil filler cap as I said. Read a manual or do your research. Morons. Please put oil in there!

Last edited by spr; 12-20-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by spr
Again on an m113 that's the tranny tube. There is no oil filler tube but instead an oil filler cap as I said. Read a manual or do your research. Morons. Please put oil in there!
ur meen
Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 AM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
Originally Posted by spr
Maybe you should read all of his posts, not once did he claim the engine oil dipstick tube was used to fill the crankcase. You're the only moron on here that is too thick to get it, he is talking about dipstick tubes, it just happens that the transmission tube is also how you fill the transmission. Others have posted pictures of BOTH dipstick tubes.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Guys, enough already -- we've all got the correct info now, with pictures no less, thanks to all the helpful members here. Let it go. We don't want this sub-forum to start sounding like some of the others here regarding even "bigger" engines.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Its Xmas after all!
Peace and Love?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

FYI, I did the change. The tranny tube is hidden under the engine cover. My oil dipstick tube is the only one visible with the cover on. In addition, I have a very different cap on the oil dipstick, it has a ring for your finger to pull it out. Lower down by the MAF, is the tranny tube with the cover and lock like is pictured above. RMautomotive had the best price on the fluid. Use the newest 4134 FUCHS which is 001-989-68-03-01. I used the OEM filter and gasket. Total cost was 160 bucks.

MB directions instruct to drain the pan, remove and clean the pad and magnet, replace filter and gasket and reinstall. Thereafter, fill with 5L in the proper tube! I then used the radiator fitting for the draining. Pull the upper tranny line on the radiator (located just below the passenger cold air intake tube. Remove the tube to gain nice access, join to 9ft 1/2 and secure with hose clamp. Stick either end in bucket or milk container having measured a fill line of 3L. drain and refill with 3L of fresh fluid three times. Remove clamp and replaced hose and resecure. Top off with remaining and check dipstick. go slow with adding last 2L. Measure at operating temp of 80C with radiator hooked up and running. Do not attempt to do this without the dipstick tool!

Overfilling can cause too much pressure and shoot the fluid past the pan seal or out dipstick filler.

This is a very easy job. Took less than 2h.

Last edited by spr; 01-11-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
Thanks for the detailed writeup SPR. Where can I get a dipstick for my C55 tranny?

thanks!
Mike

Originally Posted by spr
FYI, I did the change. The tranny tube is hidden under the engine cover. My oil dipstick tube is the only one visible with the cover on. In addition, I have a very different cap on the oil dipstick, it has a ring for your finger to pull it out. Lower down by the MAF, is the tranny tube with the cover and lock like is pictured above. RMautomotive had the best price on the fluid. Use the newest 4134 FUCHS which is 001-989-68-03-01. I used the OEM filter and gasket. Total cost was 160 bucks.

MB directions instruct to drain the pan, remove and clean the pad and magnet, replace filter and gasket and reinstall. Thereafter, fill with 5L in the proper tube! I then used the radiator fitting for the draining. Pull the upper tranny line on the radiator (located just below the passenger cold air intake tube. Remove the tube to gain nice access, join to 9ft 1/2 and secure with hose clamp. Stick either end in bucket or milk container having measured a fill line of 3L. drain and refill with 3L of fresh fluid three times. Remove clamp and replaced hose and resecure. Top off with remaining and check dipstick. go slow with adding last 2L. Measure at operating temp of 80C with radiator hooked up and running. Do not attempt to do this without the dipstick tool!

Overfilling can cause too much pressure and shoot the fluid past the pan seal or out dipstick filler.

This is a very easy job. Took less than 2h.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you're in SD, you can use mine. I don't really have a use for it. Or I'll sell it to you for 10 bucks whatever.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
I'm in Santa Clarita (north L.A.), but I'd be happy to buy it!!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 PM

2005 C55
Forced to change my Trans Fluid

Came out one day and oil on the floor. Brown so thought it was engine oil. It wasn't. 57,000 miles on my C55 never thought trans fluid would be that color. Thanks for the boat load of info about the DIY. So the problem with the leak was called a "Pilot Bushing". $25 at mb. Basically you get a plastic piece with new o-rings and yep, you cannot buy just the o-rings. You can get them cheaper on the internet. Not too much trouble to change but do plan to change your fluid and filter at the same time. I had to spend $20 for a filter kit at Pep Boys none the less ($50 at mb). But I decided to go with the true-blue factory mb oil at about $20 per liter. I bought 11 used 10. The DIY tells you in detail how to hook a hose up. I found a siphon hose at Pep Boys that was about 1/2" x 5' clear which was perfect. You can see the brown gunky stuff change to purple. The oil I got from mb was 236.14 and in the container is red. I did about 4 starts and stops adding 1 liter while draining a liter out each time. Ran the engine for a count of 5 then measured what I took out and did the math. I also measured what came out of the pan. Had to wait for my $28 dip stick from ebay. About the pilot bushing. I think once the o-rings get like old, fluid gets into the contacts. I didn't see any wicking. I used eletromotive cleaner on the connectors inside the trans and on the connector. I figure the o-rings keep oil in the trans from getting to the connections as well as keeping the oil from leaving the trans. Personally I think I'd change the Pilot Bushing with every Fluid Change. As far as the jerking I was experiencing at around 1500 rpm that is less noticable probably because it happens higher up in the rpm range now like around 1800. I do the ECU reset lots of times now too but there must be something else going on there. I at least don't hate my car because of the jerking now it is now just a little annoying. I can simply step on the throttle a little harder now and barely notice it. Kind of hard to do in stop and go though. So just wanted to thank all those who have donated thier time to post.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:21 PM

2006 C55 AMG
DIY C55 Transmission oil change

Originally Posted by Effe
Came out one day and oil on the floor. Brown so thought it was engine oil. It wasn't. 57,000 miles on my C55 never thought trans fluid would be that color. Thanks for the boat load of info about the DIY. So the problem with the leak was called a "Pilot Bushing". $25 at mb. Basically you get a plastic piece with new o-rings and yep, you cannot buy just the o-rings. You can get them cheaper on the internet. Not too much trouble to change but do plan to change your fluid and filter at the same time. I had to spend $20 for a filter kit at Pep Boys none the less ($50 at mb). But I decided to go with the true-blue factory mb oil at about $20 per liter. I bought 11 used 10. The DIY tells you in detail how to hook a hose up. I found a siphon hose at Pep Boys that was about 1/2" x 5' clear which was perfect. You can see the brown gunky stuff change to purple. The oil I got from mb was 236.14 and in the container is red. I did about 4 starts and stops adding 1 liter while draining a liter out each time. Ran the engine for a count of 5 then measured what I took out and did the math. I also measured what came out of the pan. Had to wait for my $28 dip stick from ebay. About the pilot bushing. I think once the o-rings get like old, fluid gets into the contacts. I didn't see any wicking. I used eletromotive cleaner on the connectors inside the trans and on the connector. I figure the o-rings keep oil in the trans from getting to the connections as well as keeping the oil from leaving the trans. Personally I think I'd change the Pilot Bushing with every Fluid Change. As far as the jerking I was experiencing at around 1500 rpm that is less noticable probably because it happens higher up in the rpm range now like around 1800. I do the ECU reset lots of times now too but there must be something else going on there. I at least don't hate my car because of the jerking now it is now just a little annoying. I can simply step on the throttle a little harder now and barely notice it. Kind of hard to do in stop and go though. So just wanted to thank all those who have donated thier time to post.
This just happened to me yesterday and I'd like to correct the problem,but I'm unclear as to where the pilot bushing/ bushings are located. There's two black plastic pieces/ caps on the bottom of the pan that have a hole in them (made that way) which look like they need to be replaced. Are those it? Does anyone have a diagram they can share? Thanks Guys!

I'm changing the valve cover gaskets today as well and I was hoping I could get the car back on the road asap.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Originally Posted by Dknowz
This just happened to me yesterday and I'd like to correct the problem,but I'm unclear as to where the pilot bushing/ bushings are located. There's two black plastic pieces/ caps on the bottom of the pan that have a hole in them (made that way) which look like they need to be replaced. Are those it? Does anyone have a diagram they can share? Thanks Guys!

I'm changing the valve cover gaskets today as well and I was hoping I could get the car back on the road asap.
I'll take a look at my STAR manual tonight and see if I can find anything for you
Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by C230 Mulac
I'll take a look at my STAR manual tonight and see if I can find anything for you
Thank you!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM

2005 C55
Warning - personal experience.

If you are going to replace the connector that goes into the transmission (it has 2 O-rings on it), DO NOT use aftermarket unless you compare with a micrometer the O-rings. I found that an aftermarket one quoted as being direct replacement was actually smaller than the OEM. So if you have the original (I did, I threw it in the trash and fortunately was recoverable), yanked out the "replacement", compared the O-rings with a micrometer and sure enough, the "replacement" was smaller hence when I came out one day, fluid on the floor. So apparently the O-rings were not able to seal it all up. The plastic piece may be fine.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:07 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Effe
Warning - personal experience.

If you are going to replace the connector that goes into the transmission (it has 2 O-rings on it), DO NOT use aftermarket unless you compare with a micrometer the O-rings. I found that an aftermarket one quoted as being direct replacement was actually smaller than the OEM. So if you have the original (I did, I threw it in the trash and fortunately was recoverable), yanked out the "replacement", compared the O-rings with a micrometer and sure enough, the "replacement" was smaller hence when I came out one day, fluid on the floor. So apparently the O-rings were not able to seal it all up. The plastic piece may be fine.
Thanks Effe. I read that in one of your earlier posts. At this point I'm looking for the DAS Stars diagram. Any chance you might have it and post it? I need to get this job done!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 tranny fluid/filter change..DIY?