2-piece performance rotors for C32/C55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Originally Posted by kjb55
I have done the AMG 030 brake upgrade, and the front OEM two piece rotors are 360mm. Do you have a replacement for the 360mm?
Sorry, the only rotor we have at this time is the 345x30mm rotor. But we will keep your application in mind for potential future development.

Mike
Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
How about a set of replacement rotors for the C32 rear? I'd also like them to be 2 piece, slotted, ventilated. The stock ones I have in the rear are 1 piece ventilated.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by pshek
How about a set of replacement rotors for the C32 rear? I'd also like them to be 2 piece, slotted, ventilated. The stock ones I have in the rear are 1 piece ventilated.
IMHO (and maybe it's just me) this would be a waste of $$$. If there was a rear one-piece slotted, ventilated rotor with a black anodized hat, it would perform more than adequately for the rear application. The weight savings of a two-piece solution for the rear wouldn't be worth the incremental cost, to me, as it would likely cost 3-4x as much as a one-piece version.

Two-piece front, different story - I think that would be a great upgrade.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
IMHO (and maybe it's just me) this would be a waste of $$$. If there was a rear one-piece slotted, ventilated rotor with a black anodized hat, it would perform more than adequately for the rear application. The weight savings of a two-piece solution for the rear wouldn't be worth the incremental cost, to me, as it would likely cost 3-4x as much as a one-piece version.

+1

I will even go a step further and say, since I am an avid tracker, I won't even spend the money on the fronts. 12lbs is just NOT a noticable difference guys. My stock rotors are holding up VERY well, and that is with 4 track days. Heck I even FRIED them once try to keep up with a Z06, me bad, he won.

See yeah

PS: I will GLADLY meet up with anyone on any track and please show me the difference in lap times. I will supply the labor

Guys, I hate to seem negative, but being a realalist, you just are NOT going to see any difference. Maybe, just MAYBE, you could stay on the track alittle longer. But after 30 minutes I need a break anyway

Last edited by MRAMG1; 09-16-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
+1

I will even go a step further and say, since I am an avid tracker, I won't even spend the money on the fronts. 12lbs is just NOT a noticable difference guys. My stock rotors are holding up VERY well, and that is with 4 track days. Heck I even FRIED them once try to keep up with a Z06, me bad, he won.

See yeah

PS: I will GLADLY meet up with anyone on any track and please show me the difference in lap times. I will supply the labor

Guys, I hate to seem negative, but being a realalist, you just are NOT going to see any difference. Maybe, just MAYBE, you could stay on the track alittle longer. But after 30 minutes I need a break anyway
however lighter rotor does improve steering feel/response.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by FrankW
however lighter rotor does improve steering feel/response.
Very true Frank.

But keep in mind that your total unsprung weight includes the tire+rim too. So a 25lb tire + 25 lb rim + Brake system " Caliber + Pads + rotor" - 6 lb lighter rotor= NO REAL DIFFERENCE. Okay, actually about an 8% difference. And thats if you haven't went to larger rims like 19" guys, which are WAY heavier

Sorry my friend, you just are not going to notice this small difference in a 3400+ lb car. Heck Michael Scumacher wouldn't notice it

See yeah
Old 09-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Sorry my friend, you just are not going to notice this small difference in a 3400+ lb car. Heck Michael Scumacher wouldn't notice it

See yeah
I wouldn't think there would be a notable difference as adding 30 extra hp but if the car were to be measured I would have to think fuel mileage would go up slightly, lighter steering as Frank mentioned, and better acceleration especially out of corners.

To me it's a very easy mod to swap rotors on these cars and also switch back to stock. Unlike most I am also adding lighter weight wheels so there's another 6lbs per front corner.

To me mods are all about "overall" usability and better car feel. I'm not naive enough to think I'll tear up the drag strip with light rotors but there's more to it than that.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
You're absolutely correct! When I learned about slander, libel, etc. in the late 90's slander and libel had distinct definitions and uses. Today such has changed, hence the increased usability of each word.

To make Newzchspy happy, my reference was partially pertaining to what was said on the phone - in an informal setting. This is why Brandon will be chiming in to clarify; he was a party to the conversation.

Lastly, Newzchspy, the definitions do appear to be the same on the surface, though after learning the true, in-depth meaning of the words there's really more to them than a one line sentence. For example, words spoken on radio or television are considered libel [though they're obviously not written], simply because of the massive audience they reach. These are things you learn when studying the words and applicability of each.

Had to make that clarification - sorry.

-Aaron
Way OT here:

Point well taken, HOWEVER, There is a dramatic difference in how you plead these and here's why: If you plead (oral) slander, the amount of damages will vary greatly depending upon the distribution of the audience. Obviously, I'd plead that everyone on the radio heard it and therefore I want this for damages $$$. Now , if its libel in a magazine or newspaper with a circulation of 100 pieces each day, then the damages are substantially different, so there is a big difference in the two; the resultant consequences and the damages alleged and proven (they must be specific damages too), not just "I got my feelings hurt." The court will give you $1.00 dollar for that!!
Attached Thumbnails 2-piece performance rotors for C32/C55 AMG-off-topic-thread.gif  
Old 09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by racetested
I wouldn't think there would be a notable difference as adding 30 extra hp but if the car were to be measured I would have to think fuel mileage would go up slightly No way, lighter steering as Frank mentioned Okay to a VERY small extent, and better acceleration especially out of corners Again, okay to a VERY, VERY small extent.

To me it's a very easy mod to swap rotors on these cars and also switch back to stock. Unlike most I am also adding lighter weight wheels so there's another 6lbs per front corner.

To me mods are all about "overall" usability and better car feel. I'm not naive enough to think I'll tear up the drag strip with light rotors but there's more to it than that.

Sorry guys, been there done this, you just are not going to be able to tell the difference on a car as heavy as ours.

See yeah

PS: Check my posts and car list, I am NOT a dragger my friend, but a corner carver
Old 09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/B] Way OT here:

Point well taken, HOWEVER, There is a dramatic difference in how you plead these and here's why: If you plead (oral) slander, the amount of damages will vary greatly depending upon the distribution of the audience. Obviously, I'd plead that everyone on the radio heard it and therefore I want this for damages $$$. Now , if its libel in a magazine or newspaper with a circulation of 100 pieces each day, then the damages are substantially different, so there is a big difference in the two; the resultant consequences and the damages alleged and proven (they must be specific damages too), not just "I got my feelings hurt." The court will give you $1.00 dollar for that!!
Glenn
How much compensation do I get for usage of that graphic?
BTW (offtopic) Did you modify your avatar I remember it looked just a little bit different. You kind of have to squint real hard for the changes.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Glenn
BTW (offtopic) Did you modify your avatar I remember it looked just a little bit different. You kind of have to squint real hard for the changes.
Now thats plain COLD, as in absolute zero.

See yeah
Old 09-18-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 E550 4Matic
Anyone know the minimum thickness for the OE rotors? I might need to replace mine soon.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Glenn
Old 09-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Originally Posted by C24owner
Anyone know the minimum thickness for the OE rotors? I might need to replace mine soon.
Nominal thickness is 30 mm.
Minimum thickness is 28.5 mm.
Discard at 27.4 mm.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by racetested
I wouldn't think there would be a notable difference as adding 30 extra hp but if the car were to be measured I would have to think fuel mileage would go up slightly, lighter steering as Frank mentioned, and better acceleration especially out of corners.

People really need to get off the whole MPG thing for any weight savings on our cars when the economics never make sense. You only get about a 2% increase in MPG per 100lbs, so say from 20mpg on the combined cycle for our cars (a generous number, mine is 18) to 20.4 if you reduce weight by 100lbs. Using these new ones would increase your mileage from 20 to 20.024 so in the next 20,000 miles, you can go an extra 24miles--the equivalent of about one gallon saved. Meaning about $4, or $20 over 100,000 miles.

Replacement stock rotors cost $240 for the fronts. You'll never make up the extra $250 for these aftermarket rotors during the life of your car, unless you manage well over a million miles. Heck you can do better that this by just by maintaining proper tire pressures.

So people, STOP using expensive weight savings as an increase in MPG argument.

-End Rant!

Whew!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Glenn
It just never ends does it, the Stevie jokes!! Hey, If I had her $$ and looked like my avatar, I'd be driving a 65 Black Series, so play nice here Moosie!!!

That avatar is on a list of about 10,000 avatars BUt I do recall you using it as well. $ 1 cent has been sent to you via Pay Pal !!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Put me in the list when you come up with all 4 corners.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Not doing it for performance reasons or weight savings. Just for the look. I know it's money down the drain. My front Alcon rotors are already 2 piece. The rear OEM single piece cost about $50 each. These would probably cost 5X more than OEM.

Last edited by pshek; 09-23-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
OEM brake pads

Hello all,

How do your OEM brake pads perform? We usually recommend Hawk Performance brake pads in combination with our rotors, but Hawk doesn't make pads for the C32/C55.

We want to consider other brake pad brands to bundle a package deal with our rotors, and want to know what brake pads you use, and what you think of them.

Mike
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002

Congrat RB for becoming a sponsor...more competition=lower pricing for Mercedes owners who people think want to give their money away for parts or performance.

Glenn/Moose you guys are making me lmao!

Can't we all just get along!

CP3 whatever the case keep offering cheaper alternatives for us as you can. Do not follow in feuds cause it feeds way to many members here...and can be a pro or con in your favor at the end.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
When will two piece rotors be available for the C55. I saw the C32 rotors on your site but did not find any for the C55.

Thanks

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your interest and questions. We just edited the original post to give you a complete story about who we are and how these rotors were made available.

The rotor we offer here is similar to the one that Code3 presented during pre-release stage several months ago with the following differences:
  • Code3 did not disclose RB as the manufacturer. Now you know that we are the manufacturer.
  • On the prototype rotor that we provided to Code3, the surface was not yet coated - the disc surface was plain. In addition, the disc thickness was 28mm. Here you are looking at finished products - Hat is anodized and the rotor is EDP treated to prevent from corrosion. The disc thickness is exactly the same as stock of 30mm, and three disc finishes are available for your choice.

Why is RB pricing slightly more than Code3?
For the prototype, estimated cost and delivery time were used, and again here are the final finished and tested stock products that are ready for shipment. If you check around, you will find our prices are the most competitive against any competition including those who claim availability yet in fact, may not have actual products to ship.

Why is the RB rotor thicker/heavier than Code3?
In the prototype, BMW E46 competition front rotor ring was used, which we sell here:
http://www.racingbrake.com/M3_E46_Co...p/2102-311.htm
Now we have made 30mm thickness to to be exact to OE stock to qualify our two piece rotors as “ true stock replacement”

Will Code3 eventually get these rotors in stock?
We were misled and the project was put on hold for a while. We don't expect any of our dealers will carry and distribute our two-piece rotors in the near future, but they for sure will be available direct from us atwww.racingbrake.com.

Is RacingBrake a reputable brake company?
We have been in the brake business for over 20 years and have three patents in brake design. We tool and manufacture our brake products under our own engineering spec and material. We have thousands of satisfied customers (both street and track) and are highly successful in most demanding track racing communities such as Subaru WRX/Sti, Mazda RX-7/RX-8, Mitsubishi Evo8, Acura NSX, Corvette Z06 and BMW M3 etc. Here are excerpts from several product reviews. We invite you to search various forums to find out more about how RB brake products perform.
BMW Z4M review:
“I ended up installing DTC60 pads, RacingBrake front rotors (they needed replacement anyhow), Turner brass guide bushings, and opened up the ducts in the front. After 3 track days at Infineon and 2 at Thunderhill (at 103F) , the difference was amazing. No problem with cooling, fade or anything else and the feel was much improved.”

Mazda RX-7 review:
“Based on this experience, I think you could literally run a 3-day weekend flat out at Thunderhill with this setup without any issues. Not bad for an un-ducted brake system! The rotors, as before, showed no measurable wear whatsoever. What do they build these things out of? Based on my current rate of wear, I will have to replace them in the year 2046.”

Acura NSX review:
“The hottest I have gotten my RB rotors on the track is 500F and that is 100F-150F cooler than the OEM rotors I used to run under the same settings/conditions/track. Moral of the story, the RB brakes work. Don't ask me how”

Cadillac CTS-V review:
“With over 180 minutes of track time, the two piece brake rotor performed extremely well again. After running for periods of time and waiting for the last possible moment to enter and exit the turns, the RacingBrake rotors continue to perform unbelievably.” – Bobby Fischer, top CTS-V racer
This is our first release for Mercedes applications and we expect to do more. We would like you be the first one to test and prove to yourself how good our rotors are (PM us for the introductory special discount). We also partner with Hawk performance brake pads to offer you the best brake upgrade packages at very affordable prices.

Also, buying from RacingBrake is worry free. We offer a satisfaction guarantee to our customers.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pretty sure the brakes didn't change from the C32 to the C55... thus the C32/C55 in the thread title. That is, you would use the same ones listed/pictured in the OP's comments. FWIW, even the C350 guys with the sport package have the same front brakes as us.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Hello all,

How do your OEM brake pads perform? We usually recommend Hawk Performance brake pads in combination with our rotors, but Hawk doesn't make pads for the C32/C55.

We want to consider other brake pad brands to bundle a package deal with our rotors, and want to know what brake pads you use, and what you think of them.

Mike
Many here (including myself) use Akebono euro ceramics with positive results. Others like EBC, others still like Porterfield... I'd say you couldn't go wrong with any of those options in a bundle.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Originally Posted by Tump43
When will two piece rotors be available for the C55. I saw the C32 rotors on your site but did not find any for the C55.
Thanks
Thanks, c32AMG-DTM, for your input. Yes, our information shows that the rotors are the same between the C32 and the C55. To be absolutely sure, you can measure your rotors and confirm that they are 345mm x 30mm.

We have added the C55 application for these rotors to our web site.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:24 PM

08 MB
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
People really need to get off the whole MPG thing for any weight savings on our cars when the economics never make sense. You only get about a 2% increase in MPG per 100lbs, so say from 20mpg on the combined cycle for our cars (a generous number, mine is 18) to 20.4 if you reduce weight by 100lbs. Using these new ones would increase your mileage from 20 to 20.024 so in the next 20,000 miles, you can go an extra 24miles--the equivalent of about one gallon saved. Meaning about $4, or $20 over 100,000 miles.

Replacement stock rotors cost $240 for the fronts. You'll never make up the extra $250 for these aftermarket rotors during the life of your car, unless you manage well over a million miles. Heck you can do better that this by just by maintaining proper tire pressures.

So people, STOP using expensive weight savings as an increase in MPG argument.

-End Rant!

Whew!
Sorry for the late response but I was out of the country and being quoted needs a re-buttle IMO.

One of the annoyance's of the internet is the selective reading. No where in my post did I mention "great fuel savings" or "buy these rotors as they will pay for themselves in fuel savings". Your rant was just that based off what I'm not sure as my post seemed pretty clear. I mentioned if a measurement was made then I'm sure there would be a fuel savings and your weight vs/ economy comment is not taking rotational mass into account but static weight from what I gather.

c32AMG-DTM,
The C350 rotors are not the same. We have 324mm x 32mm and there is also the hat offset to think about.

Last edited by racetested; 10-08-2008 at 02:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2-piece performance rotors for C32/C55 AMG