C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Phenolic Spacers, a different approach

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I just noticed that the phenolic spacers I got from PTE a year ago go underneath the supercharger/intake manifold. I never got around to installing them. They look exactly the same as the TVT ones. I guess I'll be installing them when I have to yank off the supercharger and intercooler. I'll probably wrap the intercooler and put in my 160* thermostat while I'm at it.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
where are these thermostats coming from that you guys are mentioning? Did LET or does TVT sell them for our car?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=pshek; I'll probably wrap the intercooler and put in my 160* thermostat while I'm at it.[/QUOTE]

Hey there pshek:

I would stay away from the 160 theromstat. On fuel injected cars, MOST ECU's require the engine to heat up higher than 180, or they run in choke mode, aka warm up mode or more fuel. I tried this on my old race car, and it REALLY didn't work. Switched back to a 180, and everything was GREAT. You might want to talk to Jerry at LET before you go this route. He would have ALOT more info than me on this subject.

See yeah
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 240
can this be used with the m112 non kompressor models ? if yes i need a set , pls pm me thanks.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrysler Crossfire
We carry the thermos as well as the N/A spacers.

Spacers are by no means a fix, just one more obstacle heat has to go through to ruin your performance.

Just offering up an option. I know how popular the other Phenolic spacers are and this will help even more.

Take it for what it is.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Idk about the spacers but the thermostat really does help. I had it on my car and it really helped bringng the temp down. Btw that is right about going 160 (choke mode) but 160 was just a number until they corrected the problem and I think it's at 176? PTE can give us more info on that or maybe just do a search.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey there pshek:

I would stay away from the 160 theromstat. On fuel injected cars, MOST ECU's require the engine to heat up higher than 180, or they run in choke mode, aka warm up mode or more fuel. I tried this on my old race car, and it REALLY didn't work. Switched back to a 180, and everything was GREAT. You might want to talk to Jerry at LET before you go this route. He would have ALOT more info than me on this subject.

See yeah
Thanks for the heads up. I need to do more research into this now..... Sounds kind of like when you do a cold start in the morning and the car goes into choke mode, ie dumps lots of fuel on cold starts to bring engine up to the operating temp (180 deg F i'm guessing)

Last edited by pshek; 10-17-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:30 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
thermostats & Such

Hello All: I've been watching this thread for a while. Maybe I canset some things straight.
I've been building these stats for 3 years. I ran the 2 U.S, aftermarket parts distributors (World Pac) & (IMC)Out of stock at all their warehouses. They refused to reorder. At that Time I already modded about 200 stats.

Now The parts come in from Germany. I hand build these Thermostats in my small machine shop . Even though they are called 160* They actually bring the engine temp from 210*F / 100*C too about 180* F . The 160* one , which I don't build ,would set a CEL on cold nights. I only made about 7 of them , They all have been returned & exchanged for a lastest built 180*

These are true Thermostat assemblies, Not OEM ones with Bypass holes drilled in them. I know I've been copied , But I've now got the sole import on the real parts.

Rflow306 AKA Albert & I did some real time data logging. We found that the cold motor enrichment , shuts off at 140 too 142*F. We watched the spark curve & injector pulse with change dramaticly. What the ECU looks for is how long it takes to reach this temp & compares it to the outside temp for the correct amount of Fuel. It doesn't just dump fuel. It is very precise. I'm Trying too keep this simple. There is a ton of info in this forum, Great Questions & answers, Guy's worried about oil dilution with fuel , will I get a CEL so on and so forth. The stat works great and will be sold only thru Code 3 . Brandon has been running one thru out the summer & this fall , He tells me he is very please and has no known issues. and has done data logging to see if this suites his needs. ___PTEngineering
Old 10-17-2008, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by PTE
Hello All: I've been watching this thread for a while. Maybe I canset some things straight.
I've been building these stats for 3 years. I ran the 2 U.S, aftermarket parts distributors (World Pac) & (IMC)Out of stock at all their warehouses. They refused to reorder. At that Time I already modded about 200 stats.

Now The parts come in from Germany. I hand build these Thermostats in my small machine shop . Even though they are called 160* They actually bring the engine temp from 210*F / 100*C too about 180* F . The 160* one , which I don't build ,would set a CEL on cold nights. I only made about 7 of them , They all have been returned & exchanged for a lastest built 180*

These are true Thermostat assemblies, Not OEM ones with Bypass holes drilled in them. I know I've been copied , But I've now got the sole import on the real parts.

Rflow306 AKA Albert & I did some real time data logging. We found that the cold motor enrichment , shuts off at 140 too 142*F. We watched the spark curve & injector pulse with change dramaticly. What the ECU looks for is how long it takes to reach this temp & compares it to the outside temp for the correct amount of Fuel. It doesn't just dump fuel. It is very precise. I'm Trying too keep this simple. There is a ton of info in this forum, Great Questions & answers, Guy's worried about oil dilution with fuel , will I get a CEL so on and so forth. The stat works great and will be sold only thru Code 3 . Brandon has been running one thru out the summer & this fall , He tells me he is very please and has no known issues. and has done data logging to see if this suites his needs. ___PTEngineering
Thanks for the info

I wasn't sure of when the ECU would turn it off, but it is good to know an exact number. The 180 farenhiet sounds right on the money for my toy. I'll be speaking to brandon

See yeah
Old 10-17-2008, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Thanks for the info

I wasn't sure of when the ECU would turn it off, but it is good to know an exact number. The 180 farenhiet sounds right on the money for my toy. I'll be speaking to brandon

See yeah

Just another part to wait for??? The gear on the pig is going back up into the belly and no landing here. Just early last week the Spearco's were to be available???
Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Just another part to wait for??? The gear on the pig is going back up into the belly and no landing here. Just early last week the Spearco's were to be available???
I hear you my friend. But, life does happen, aka huricanes, kids, development, etc, etc. I can wait, atleast till pigs fly

See yeah
Old 10-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by PTE

Excellent, informative post

-Aaron
Old 10-17-2008, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Uh oh, I think I have one of 160*F PTE thermostats. Bought it maybe a year ago and never installed it. I gotta check with PTE....
Old 10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Updated T-stat

PSHEK: I checked my shipper log book, You have the current Build. Your ready to Rock. Cheers ___PTEngineering
Old 10-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

2003 Mercedes S500 Lorinser
PTE this this is Nick from NY, i ordered a thermostat for my s500. is that you? whos making them????
Old 10-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

2003 Mercedes S500 Lorinser
do you guys do phenolic spacers or any other kind of spacers for NA cars like on a 03 s500??

i got every mod in the book except a supercharger and am looking to see if spacers would be beneifical for me??

thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
Excellent, informative post

-Aaron
So when can we get one of these 180 T stats???

Glenn