C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

K&N Filter Oiling Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
K&N Filter Oiling Question

I am about to spray the oil on the filter, should I apply the oil on the side as shown in this photo or the other side (near the rubber gasket)?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Ultraman
I am about to spray the oil on the filter, should I apply the oil on the side as shown in this photo or the other side (near the rubber gasket)?

Thanks.
I do Both sides lightly so i get a good even oil soak, I clean these thinks on my Quads on a weekly basis, K&N says just the dirty side to oil but i like to do both side lightly then let them sit for 30 mins .... Make sure the filter is dry, totally dry. when you spray the oil on get a rag and wipe off the over spray that gets on the rubber edges. let it soak in and apply more only if need in some spots do not over oil.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-03-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I do Both sides lightly so i get a good even oil soak, I clean these thinks on my Quads on a weekly basis, K&N says just the dirty side to oil but i like to do both side lightly then let them sit for 30 mins .... Make sure the filter is dry, totally dry. when you spray the oil on get a rag and wipe off the over spray that gets on the rubber edges. let it soak in and apply more only if need in some spots do not over oil.
So, which side is the dirty side as mentioned in the K&N instruction?

BTW, if you spray both sides, will the oil has a chance go to the sensor and cause damages? Just curious! How can you tell the filters have enough oil?

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
So, which side is the dirty side as mentioned in the K&N instruction?

BTW, if you spray both sides, will the oil has a chance go to the sensor and cause damages? Just curious! How can you tell the filters have enough oil?

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!
IMO It would take alot of extra oil to make it all the way to the trottle body. IF you feel uncomfortable spraying both sides than just do the one. Like I said I've been cleaning dirty filters almost every week with my YFZ450 quad so I have developed a habbit of doing both sides. However Your K&N will never see the dirt My quad see's so just one side should do ya good. They say spray the diry side but both sides are diry. . They mean the side that the air hits first. Just remember to spray like your trying to do a killer spay paint job nice even strokes dont worry about over spray as you can wipe that stuff off. Make sure you wipe it off with a lint free towel as you dont want to get lint in the throttle body.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-03-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: I cant spell "the" I alway spell "teh"
Old 10-03-2008, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
FWIW, I spray the side K&N instructs (i.e. the underside of the filter). Make sure you get good, even coverage (holding the filter between you and an overhead light is a good way to check). I also do this at night - clean them, spray them, go to bed. The next morning, wipe off any overspray as hooleyboy mentions, reinstall them, double-check your work, and you're good to go.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
IMO It would take alot of extra oil to make it all the way to the trottle body. IF you feel uncomfortable spraying both sides than just do the one. Like I said I've been cleaning dirty filters almost every week with my YFZ450 quad so I have developed a habbit of doing both sides. However Your K&N will never see the dirt My quad see's so just one side should do ya good. They say spray the diry side but both sides are diry. . They mean the side that the air hits first. Just remember to spray like your trying to do a killer spay paint job nice even strokes dont worry about over spray as you can wipe that stuff off. Make sure you wipe it off with a lint free towel as you dont want to get lint in the throttle body.
+1

I have been using K/N's for over 20 years, and you have down pat hooleyboy

I wouldn't change a thing from your reciepe my friend

See yeah
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
+1

I put it in the dry cycle of the dryer for no more then 5 minutes(no heat) any longer you can ruin them by disstorting them in size(do at your own risk)....I recommend buying a second set and putting them in while you ready the others...here is my procedure

day 1: clean and let dry atleast 24 hours
day 2: apply(if dry) the oil lightly but evenly to both sides
day 4: after 2 days of letting oil soak in I clean overspray and put them in box til use

This way all overspray is caught before replacing the filters with these. I swoop from K&N to Green filters every three months or 3k miles but the time always comes in before miles.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by c32used
+1

I put it in the dry cycle of the dryer for no more then 5 minutes(no heat) any longer you can ruin them by disstorting them in size(do at your own risk)....I recommend buying a second set and putting them in while you ready the others...here is my procedure

day 1: clean and let dry atleast 24 hours
day 2: apply(if dry) the oil lightly but evenly to both sides
day 4: after 2 days of letting oil soak in I clean overspray and put them in box til use

This way all overspray is caught before replacing the filters with these. I swoop from K&N to Green filters every three months or 3k miles but the time always comes in before miles.
WAY, WAY overkill my friend, but nevertheless effective

I use my K/N's immeadiatly after oiling, just too damm impaitent I guess to enjoy my toy

See yeah
Old 10-03-2008, 02:42 PM

I have another question, everytime when I took out the filters from the air box, the adhesive gaskets seem to be damaged / torn (note: I pulled out the filter very slowly and carefully)

Do you guys recommend not to put the rubber gaskets in the air box? Does it cause any harm?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
I have another question, everytime when I took out the filters from the air box, the adhesive gaskets seem to be damaged / torn (note: I pulled out the filter very slowly and carefully)

Do you guys recommend not to put the rubber gaskets in the air box? Does it cause any harm?
Never had those issues with Green filters. I've had K&Ns before and somehow the Green filters fit and fill in better.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63

Your talking about the gasket that comes with your filters and you but it on your airbox?? IMO toss that thing out you dont need it. Your filter fits in real good without it.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Your talking about the gasket that comes with your filters and you but it on your airbox?? IMO toss that thing out you dont need it. Your filter fits in real good without it.
So, the rubber gaskets (with adhesive that sticks to the filter boxes) are not necessary, right?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
+1

I have been using K/N's for over 20 years, and you have down pat hooleyboy

I wouldn't change a thing from your reciepe my friend

See yeah

Must be a K&N kinda day. I just did my Harley with the cleaning and oiling like an hour or so ago. It's been a year since I installed it and it was DIRTY. I used the cleaning solution, let sit for 5 min and rinse off then dry and applied the spray oil to both sides and wiped off the excess. Pretty much the
same procedure as I did on the C32.