C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

what are the beniflts of having an x-pipe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
what are the benifits of having an x-pipe?

So I'm trying to shop for some standard exhaust stuff for my exhaust project i got in the works. I think I got the cats taken care of. Now i'm wondering what should i do for an x-pipe. Do I need one? Can i pick one off the shelf and be done with it? Any help or ideas would be great. do x-pipes just help mix exhaust?

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-07-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
So I'm trying to shop for some standard exhaust stuff for my exhaust project i got in the works. I think I got the cats taken care of. Now i'm wondering what should i do for an x-pipe. Do I need one? Can i pick one off the shelf and be done with it? Any help or ideas would be great. do x-pipes just help mix exhaust?
An x pipe is just a type of balance/crossover tube. It helps to equalize the pressures between the left and right cylinder banks. Your car should already have a H type crossover tube. An X pipe will have a different exhaust note, probably louder, and will a better scavenging effect than an H tube. The exhaust gases shuffle down the downpipes and merge at the X pipe; the gas exiting the x pipe will move faster than the gas entering the x pipe, hence the scavenging effect. You might lose a little back pressure with an X pipe. Overall, you probably have a louder different exhaust note than an H pipe and maybe 5hp gain.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 E55, W204 C350, '04 Carrera C4S, '02 ML55 (Wife's)
I saw no HP gains from removing my resonator/H pipe at least down the strip…. But the exhaust note was better from my perspective with not much resonance change

The X-pipe was a worth while mod for the price! For me at least...

Last edited by VaderSS; 10-07-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by pshek
An x pipe is just a type of balance/crossover tube. It helps to equalize the pressures between the left and right cylinder banks. Your car should already have a H type crossover tube. An X pipe will have a different exhaust note, probably louder, and will a better scavenging effect than an H tube. The exhaust gases shuffle down the downpipes and merge at the X pipe; the gas exiting the x pipe will move faster than the gas entering the x pipe, hence the scavenging effect. You might lose a little back pressure with an X pipe. Overall, you probably have a louder different exhaust note than an H pipe and maybe 5hp gain.
Thanks, hay 5hp is 5hp gotta take what you can get it all adds up.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by VaderSS
I saw no HP gains from removing my resonator/H pipe at least down the strip…. But the exhaust note was better from my perspective with not much resonance change

The X-pipe was a worth while mod for the price! For me at least...
I think I already have the note I'm looking for (got a you tube clip of it). I'm after some performance gains. I was a doubter of removing the 2end cats as a way to free up power but I saw a gain on dyno dynamics dyno from it. I think when i replace the stock cats with 100cell cats along with an x-pipe into true duel exhaust I could see another 10whp freed up. If it works that should put me right around the 350whp mark.

would any old 2.5 inch xpipe do the trick as long as it fit?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 AM

Sorry no video clip of mine (sold it) but here is a link to another’s resonator mod…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdOdxr-Oybo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hO336BW1U0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKYEvd9Xvg

I think removing the secondary cats is a good start. The 100 cell primary cat may turn on some check engine lights unless you get the ECU reprogrammed with a specific tune… Most tuners tune with 200 cell cats to my knowledge… I’d stick with 200 cell cats. I removed the secondary cats from my Porsche and replaced the primary’s with 200 cell and no codes!

I’m a little confused with your x-pipe / duel exhaust… I think you either have to have an x-pipe system or true duel exhaust…. I’d go for the x-pipe system

I don’t remember what the C55 pipe i.d. was but 2.5” seems a tad bit larger… but to each his/her own.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Sorry no video clip of mine (sold it) but here is a link to another’s resonator mod…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdOdxr-Oybo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hO336BW1U0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKYEvd9Xvg

I think removing the secondary cats is a good start. The 100 cell primary cat may turn on some check engine lights unless you get the ECU reprogrammed with a specific tune… Most tuners tune with 200 cell cats to my knowledge… I’d stick with 200 cell cats. I removed the secondary cats from my Porsche and replaced the primary’s with 200 cell and no codes!

I’m a little confused with your x-pipe / duel exhaust… I think you either have to have an x-pipe system or true duel exhaust…. I’d go for the x-pipe system

I don’t remember what the C55 pipe i.d. was but 2.5” seems a tad bit larger… but to each his/her own.
duel pipes into xpipe then back to duel is what i mean. the stock pipes are 2.5 inch if i remember correctly they bottle down into 2.25 inch to the mufflers I plan on opening the mufflers up to meet 2.5 inch pipe. Another member did it on the forum and it sounded killer. So you think 200 cell cats are a better bet? I dont want any CEL. I'm going to speak with an exhaust shop next week so see about some prices.

I already have the res-delete and no secondary cats. After removing secondary cats i picked up 13whp and 19wtq with same day dynos.

here is the linkhttps://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/263590-secondary-cats-removed-dyno.html

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-07-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 AM

That's some great numbers on the dyno for those two mods! like i said i did the same but it didn't show on the 1/4 mile.... maybe my car was too new and wasn't broken in or something?

ok.... cool i know what you mean buy the duels.... I seen a few do the intake kit and gain 4-5 mph and a tenth (with the exhaust mods)

Nice sound clip by the way.... How does it sound driving away? Must be sweet!

Last edited by VaderSS; 10-07-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
That's some great numbers on the dyno for those two mods! like i said i did the same but it didn't show on the 1/4 mile.... maybe my car was too new and wasn't broken in or something?

ok.... cool i know what you mean buy the duels.... I seen a few do the intake kit and gain 4-5 mph and a tenth (with the exhaust mods)

Nice sound clip by the way.... How does it sound driving away? Must be sweet!
Its sounds so sweet. I dont even listen to music in my car any more. I took it to the drags with the new mod and was running 103mph traps with my heavier wheels and with this mod i was in the 107mph traps. 1/4 times were just about the same though. People at the drags said it sounded real good and very unexpected from a mercedes. All i know is when i jump on it it just roars much meaner than with just res-delete alone.