C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

pullies....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pullies....

has anyone been following the thread about the pulley failure in the c class thread? evosport is coming out w/ their own pulley for the 32 engine and was curious if they did FEA on their design.

although it seems like it was a design issue because the aluminum hub was too thin and the steal sleave was too thick, it is quite possible that even w/ a thicker aluminum hub, it still would not be strong enough.

will t6061 be strong enough? there seems to be some questions over in the thread of whether to use steal rather than aluminum.

comments anyone?
Old 01-05-2003, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
slkride: Yes, a company that manufactures our pulleys for us puts every design through an FEA program. In addition all of our pulleys are either hard black or clear anodized - depending on application - for added strength and longevity.

The stainless steel sleeve that we use is 0.007". The rest of the pulley shaft is T6061 billet aluminum.

We also test every application on several cars, many times on the road course.

Hopefully this answers your questions. Feel free to ask any others.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:41 AM

thanks vadim for your response. i know this has been discussed before but what about some type of dampener? knowing that the engine is internally balanced (thus no need to have different pulley for each engine), does this also mean the crankshaft is balanced and produces no vibrations whatsoever from each cylinder firing? have you done any analysis/measurements on the crankshaft vibrations to see if it is indeed balanced? to me, it seems that there will be some kind of harmonics even though the engine is internally balanced, thus the reason mb pressed a dampening rubber on their pullies to absorb the vibrations

i understand that the pulley used by mb is the same used in their v6 and v8 engines because their engines are internally balanced so there's no need to add counter weights (harmonic balancer). but what about the harmonic dampener?
Old 01-06-2003, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Slkride: Here is a link on this topic.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...097#post243097

Last edited by vadim@evosport; 01-06-2003 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by vadim@evosport
Slkride: Here is a link on this topic.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...097#post243097
vadim, pls see my reply on this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...155#post243155
Old 01-06-2003, 05:36 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Originally posted by vadim@evosport
slkride: Yes, a company that manufactures our pulleys for us puts every design through an FEA program. In addition all of our pulleys are either hard black or clear anodized - depending on application - for added strength and longevity.

The stainless steel sleeve that we use is 0.007". The rest of the pulley shaft is T6061 billet aluminum.

We also test every application on several cars, many times on the road course.

Hopefully this answers your questions. Feel free to ask any others.

Thanks.
i noticed that your steel sleeve is .007 as kleemann's pulley. kleeman just posted this correction:

"Just wanted to clear up a typo I made in an earlier post.

The difference between the overall diameter of our alloy pulleys hub and the alloy portion of the hub is .07", not .007". Therefore the actual wall thickness of the steel sleeve is .035" (or the thickness of aluminum siding)."

does this mean that your sleeve is .07 also or does it remain at .007?
Old 01-06-2003, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Correction, it is 7 thousands. The same company makes the sleeve.