C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Green filter users : CHECK YOUR AIRBOX right meow.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by C43AMG
DTM uses K&N.......edit your post or clarify what "teams" you are referencing.
hey great, when i have a pit crew in my garage with the ability to rebuild an engine whenever, I'll start using K&N's.

FYI, NO aftermarket filter company has ever made claims that their filter element is better at trapping particles than OEM paper filters. Also, a lot of these claims may hold true for other cars with lesser engineered intake systems, but as we know, the intake on MB's are usually very well engineered.

Another thing to consider is that when people are going out testing, they are comparing a FILTHY paper filter with a freshly bought K&N filter.

So, in review, aftermarket filters can fall apart, potentially oil up your MAF, and don't filter particles as well. All in the name of what...5hp?

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

Last edited by e1000; 10-13-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
Keep the paper filters. your engine will thank you.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by jturkel
didnt C32used do a little "experiment" with the stockies, greens, and K&Ns? I think in his sig he posts the different times/traps for each one. C32used, was this done under the same conditions for each? (same night or temp or track or whatnot)
Yes, he (c32used) did extensive research on filters, and found aftermarket performance filters to offer additional dyno hp, lower ET's, and higher trap speeds, vs. stock OEM paper filters.

ohlord has apparently had different results (albeit on other engines), and consequently is staunchly against aftermarket filters for any engine.

YMMV.

OT - Quicktwinturbo... excellent Super Troopers reference
Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by e1000
All in the name of what...5hp?
... and better throttle response, slightly better intake sound, potential for opening up more power with additional mods, possibly even better gas mileage? You must have forgotten the other pros to the argument full of cons that you just made.

If I'm not mistaken, the few "major" incidents that have occurred with Green/K&N have been *extremely* few and far between anyways, considering the number of us on the boards that have used them without issue for months (years?) on end, and if anything, those few issues were probably caused by improper oiling (user error), over-usage (user error) and overheating or abuse (more than likely user error).

Also, there are certainly a few more variables attached to the "experimental runs" that C32Used did, but overall, even later on during the same day (IINM), he netted 4MPH higher trap speeds and .6s in the 1/4 using Greens over OEM, and similar gains using K&N. I'd venture a guess that they add a bit more than just "5hp" over stock :P
Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Yes, he (c32used) did extensive research on filters, and found aftermarket performance filters to offer additional dyno hp, lower ET's, and higher trap speeds, vs. stock OEM paper filters.

ohlord has apparently had different results (albeit on other engines), and consequently is staunchly against aftermarket filters for any engine.

YMMV.

OT - Quicktwinturbo... excellent Super Troopers reference
Can't wait for the 2nd one...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Can't wait for the 2nd one...
are they really making a second one? I'm definitely going to watch that, with my liter of cola!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by e1000
are they really making a second one? I'm definitely going to watch that, with my liter of cola!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0859635/

I really hope its good as the first one.. Opening was the first one was da bomb..

NEWAY... Yuh.. I just may stick with paper filters...for now...
Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by ohlord
dyno charts 3% is well within any margin of error on any dyno pull,it's still a cotton filter with oil,but if it suits your needs and you feel it serves the purpose of an air filter. Clean air in a quantity sufficient for the displacement of the engine and flow of the heads,that's that matters. The intention of an air filter is to filter air and protect your engine BMC looks to be of the same construction as the other G and K filters if it lets the same amount of dirt past,I don't want it on my engines.But remember that's just my opinion.
OT: Hi ohlord...were you ever able to get your hands on those 10-second E-class timeslips? I would love to see them, thanks.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
10 sec e-class? woah~

Neway..stock OEM filters are made by fram? It sure looks like same as fram filters..
Old 10-28-2008, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
I'm not normally one to revive topics, but I just called Green to inquire about their filters and the issues w/the rubber. The guy I talked to, Jason, assured me that all new filters sold by Green are made with better rubber and that the issues should no longer happen. They requested the old filters back from tuning companies who bought them, but it is possible, of course, that they never returned them and sold them instead.

Just to be safe, I will try the Greens, but I'm going to buy them directly from Green instead of going through a 3rd party.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by Koru_Kinshi
I'm not normally one to revive topics, but I just called Green to inquire about their filters and the issues w/the rubber. The guy I talked to, Jason, assured me that all new filters sold by Green are made with better rubber and that the issues should no longer happen. They requested the old filters back from tuning companies who bought them, but it is possible, of course, that they never returned them and sold them instead.

Just to be safe, I will try the Greens, but I'm going to buy them directly from Green instead of going through a 3rd party.
Well, mine was purchased from one of the most respected shop on this forum... It was also "revised" version as well.. S!!t does happen.. Greens customer service was good as well.. But mostly, I would like to thank the owner of the shop I purchased my filters from.. He really handled this case well in the most prefessonal way... PM me if you want to know the shop name
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
boy.. this again pops up.

I had a long write up earlier this year.

I had Green on my C32.. I'm sorry.. but they were POS, just like photos on this thread.

I don't care if they provide 10% extra air or what ever marketing slogan they use.

K&N is the way go. You will see the difference from the instructions to the extra rubber ring they provide and the quality.

let's not make changing air filters a big gain mod...its not.

but dirty filters will rob power.

Inspect air filters and clean at least 4 times per year...
Old 10-28-2008, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i agree K & N all the way. There's a reason why K & N is the most popular filter across domestic, japanese and european brands.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by TopGun32
let's not make changing air filters a big gain mod...its not.
How chilly does it get where you are in Cali? Sure, putting new filters in isn't gonna get you nearly as much HP/TQ as say... an APC sticker or something, but you can slap me and call me Sally if you can't feel a *huge* difference b/w stock filters and Greens/K&Ns in 30-60f, non-humid weather.

It's not so much the power/torque as it is the overall responsiveness of the engine itself - once the ECU gets used to the extra air, I wouldn't hesitate to compare it to a very mild tune, even.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
I really don't think theres a HUGE differences btw K&N / Greens..
If greens fixed the problem with the rubber thingy, I would stick with greens.. If this happens again however, I would ask for refund and purchase K&N right away...

I do clean filters often as well
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black W212 E550
I won't buy Greeen Filters again, photo's

After reading this thread I decided not to take any chances with the Green Filters (after only 1000 miles), I ordered a set of BMC filters from the Connoisseur Group of SD not even knowing if there were any issues. I swapped them out today and found that they had begun to melt around the edges, FYI on the attached photo, btw there were worse areas.

Thanks for posting the thread and the comments, who knows how bad this could have gotten but why risk it, thanks to James at the Connoisseur Group for all his info.

PS you can tell the quality of the BMC's are a significant step up.

Last edited by fromthebeginnin; 02-11-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM

02 C32 AMG, 2012 S550
My greens did the same thing. Tossed them and went with some K&N's and haven't had any problems yet...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
That's why I just stick with the Mann filters. K&Ns and the like don't do anything noticeable enough to warrant have lesser filtering ability. I put a K&N on my Trailblazer and when I had my oil analyzed my silicon was almost double the previous oil change and I went back with a stock AC/Delco air filter and the silicon went down to normal Also saw zero difference in fuel economy when going back to the paper filter.

Last edited by 91RS; 02-11-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
mann is the maker of the factory ones fyi.